Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to child safety seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Alternative to child safety seat

Alternative to child safety seat

After some research from the need to legally and more safely transport a 2 year old in the XK, I have found an alternative to the car seat. Idaho law, like many states I presume, states that a child restraint device is required to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standard no. 213. I had thought in the past that this means the child must be in a "seat" of some sort, whether it be a booster or car seat, but found there are other options.

The XK, as many owners know, hardly provides any back seating area. Getting a safety seat of any sort on top of the already small seat proves to be almost impossible.

From trying out different combinations and measurements, I found the boosters we had and that were on the market were counterproductive to being safety devices in the XK's back seat. Most were far too big and either wouldn't seat correctly on the leather seat from not matching contours, causing the booster to slide around, or they were just too big and required the front passengers to move their seats too far forward and press their knees against the dash....again unsafe in the event of a crash.

So this is the alternative. We purchased a Ride Safer child safety vest. We purchased a vest directly from the manufacturer for $135 USD shipped (had a $10 coupon) and they had it to our door within a few days. They have two sizes, large and small, we went with the latter. It is rated for a 3+ year old, and it is a tad big for a 2.5 year old, ours will grow into it quickly. Though it does not have the same side impact head protection, neither do the booster seats unless you install a "backed" version. It is far better than an ill fitted seat belt or booster seat for a child. We leave the harness strapped in the car, so a child can enter it and strap it on in place.

From reviews I read, the earlier models of this vest had more of a mesh vest with a car safety buckle used to secure the middle band around the child's torso. We opted to try the newer version, which is a bit more minimalist in that what used to be the vest portion is now more strap like (I would think would be a little more comfortable) and the newly designed buckle is all metal instead of the traditional car buckle plastic. I think the earlier versions of the buckle would be a bit easier to get on and off, but I believe that is why they strayed from them. I also read the earlier vests may "expire" like a car seat (if you care about expirations), I didn't see anything about this newer style expiring, though I could have very well have missed it.

Getting the child in and out of the harness does not take any more time than a traditional car seat. Even with the unique metal buckle, I can one handedly unbuckle it fairly easily. If you leave it in the car like I have, securing it on the child while they are seated only requires you to lap the vest over them, buckle the car seat belt, feed the lap belt through one loop to keep it on their lap, and secure the mid torso buckle. It seems the vest is comfortable enough, too, as the back seat is small and almost made for a small child in the first place.

Overall this vest has proved to be a good, easily installed addition to the XK and the need to carry a small child. The vest is not necessarily the best at longer rides when the child may fall asleep, as their had will flop forwards, it is an excellent alternative to shorter trips, especially around town.

Attached are pictures of a 6 year old and a 2.5 year old in the back seat for sizing purposes. Also took a picture of how we leave the vest in the back seat.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for an alternative!

Attached Thumbnails Alternative to child safety seat-img_0148.jpg   Alternative to child safety seat-img_0146.jpg   Alternative to child safety seat-img_0147.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Johnken (04-25-2017), K.Westra (04-26-2017), MRomanik (04-24-2017), rothwell (04-23-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Your girls are beautiful, nice photos. John

The following users liked this post:
chillyphilly (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks John, I think so, too. Though I may be a little bias.