XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

alternator/battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator/battery

Hi guys , having issues with my battery not retaining charge. I reckon it is not getting fully charged by the alternator as it will only show 13v & no more. that's not enough, new battery & always use nice battery charger/conditioner when not in use. anybody know where the regulator is & how to adjust the voltage up slightly. its summer here in as so no winter probs with battery.
cheers Mikem

Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

1.13v is fine(however check the voltage at other places,like the alternator itself), as you drive or turn on something, the voltage should increase or stay the same.

2.Check your belt, it may be slipping, on the alternator pulley.

3.There is a main ground strap,from the transmission to the frame on the front of the car, passenger side. If has some green on it,or not pretty silver, its toast.You will have to jack up the passenger side of car to inspect.

This ground notorious for charging issues, struggling starter,hard starts, etc.

4.Check the cables in the trunk as well,if your ground strap to the battery has any green on it, or was dirty/white deposits, its toast.You cant clean these, people try, only to find themselves repeating the repair.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

look at this ground strap,why does Jaguar use these cheap things on our cars, ??really pisses me off.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (11-30-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many tks , will check that strap. experts tell me to get a c-tek charger & leave on when not using & that 13v is fine & that there are a lot of electronics that will drain the battery. Don't buy it cause the system aint working as it should , car should start without this back up! I am convinced the alternator is not fully charging the battery but experts say there is no regulator to adjust , is all part of alternator