XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new member

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another new member

Hi I'm Terry, I am also new here and on the verge of taking the plunge. I almost bought an XJS convert a few years ago but things didn't work out. I've got the itch again and this time it's for an XK8 convert. I'm currently looking at a 2002 with 29,000 miles, BRG with tan int. Beautiful!! The asking price is $21k, but, there's room to negotiate. I sat here last night reading until my legs fell asleep. Lots of good info. I gathered last night that at some point I can figure on replacing the hoses for the top latching mechanism, sounds like that is a given. I also figure I'll have to have the tensioners replaced at some point. Not exactly sure what is the average mileage. I will be buying as a toy/semi regular driver, not daily. I guess where I'm going with this is aside from those two issues I kind of gather the car is pretty reliable. Correct? I drove the car today and it is quieter than I would have thought, top up or down. A/C is blows cold and all functions work. 75 mph straight as an arrow hands off of the wheel. All in all the car feels very solid. Interior is spotless except what I'd consider normal wear. Do any of you have any suggestions of anything to look for as a clue to abuse or potential problems? Should I look for something a little newer even if more miles. I am pretty mechanical and plan on doing my own maintenance etc. I will be looking around the forums again this evening for more clues. I apologize for being long winded.
Thanks, Terry

Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Terry,
Welcome! I can't lay claim to being an expert, but I think that the major problems were cleared up by 2002. The more knowledgeable folks on this forum can shed more light on the exact dates that the safer Tensioners came into play. In general, I would say that the 2002 model is great car, and at today's prices...................quite a bargain! Best of luck to you in making your new acquisition, you'll love it!.
Regards,
Brian