Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed

Hello Again Learned Members-

I have a non-critical, but annoying, problem with the cover over the lighter and ashtray located right in front of the armrest not staying closed. I took the screws out of the armrest latch and removed it so I could see behind to determine if I could see why it won't stay closed. The space is too small to really see anything. Obviously it does not operate on a magnetic catch. Does anyone know how it's supposed to operate? I don't see anything else I can loosen to get back in behind it to really take a look. Any advice on the next step?

Last edited by xsvjag; 06-18-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are gonna have to remove the center console in order to get to it and take it out. Whether your latch is fixable or not, that remains to be seen once u get it out so u can see whats up. You cant get to it the way you are trying. I ended up just buying a whole new unit and installed it myself because the latch was broken in half.

Once I got it out and really looked at it, I could prolly have rigged it to where it would have worked without a ton of use.

The whole ashtray/lighter assembly is 1 piece and can be removed by unhooking the lighter once u gain access to the assembly.

If I recall I started by removing the gear shift knob, removing the outer black ring from around the gear shift box. Unhook cruise and traction switches as nec. Once the bezel is off, remove the wood brackets which are held in by 4 screws (remember bracket orientation). This will gain you access to the front 2 bolts that hold the console in place.

In addition, there are 2 back bolts that are hidden underneath the 6 inch square plastic piece that rests behind the armrest (right in front of the rear seat, in the middle). It pulls straight out, toward the back seat..requires a tug.

When u unscrew those 4 bolts pull back on the entire console and then upward, and it should lift right out.

Also, before you put it back together and tighten, make sure the ashtray opens and closes as the carpet from underneath rubs it and will obstruct closure.

I had to pay $200 for the ashtray and cover assembly due to the broken latch. Full price is like $350 I think. A cheaper version would be to velcro the latch shut if u wanted to avoid everything. I dont smoke but use the battery charger frequently enough to justify gettin it done right.

Good luck,
Kevin

Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM

That's a little more complicated than I expected! But thanks for the advice. I will tear into in this weekend.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default I pulled my ashtray to install an IPod player

I cut the ashtray to fit the Ipod, but it was never used as an ashtray in my car. Power was taken off the cigarette lighter, which was relocated to the rear of the consul compartment.

Attached Thumbnails Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ashtray.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.install-009.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.install-017.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.install-005.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.install.3.jpg  

Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

This is great, pictures are so helpful!

I have been printing all the various "how to's" and different pieces of information from this forum. Information that is not easy to come by (i.e. Ford equivalent parts etc) and compiling what now amounts to a book (I think of it as the Jag Bible). Nothing will be done to the car without first checking the experiences of the forum.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Here are some more pics to help you. Note the shifter top plate is held in place at four (4) locations as noted by the blue tape arrows. Use a pry bar or screwdriver wrapped in tape (to avoid scratches) at these locations. The plate is held in place by pop off fasteners.

Attached Thumbnails Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-remove.shift.plate.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-001.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-002.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-003.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-004.jpg  

Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

The rear of the consul is held in place by two (2) screws. These are accessed by popping off the leather trim cover at the rear as noted. You can use a tool or as in my case, I got my fingers underneath and lifted straight upwards. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-008.jpg   Cover over lighter/ashtray won't stay closed-ipod.mod-009.jpg