XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie...(sort of)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another Newbie...(sort of)...

Howdy Folks!!... (Hmmmm, It is apparent that my smiley's don't work...)
Anyhoo...I'm new to this site...but not Jaguars. But I'm here to learn all I can about the XK8s. Unbelievably, I bought my last one (XJS) online. The fellow said that it had a "dropped valve". Not knowing anything about the 5.3 V12...I figured "What the Heck"...just pull the head and get to it. What a suprise I got (yeppers I got them there turnip leaves a'fallen out of my pockets). $4500 piasters later I had a beautifull 89 XJS Convert. It lasted all of about 6 months...when my wife and I took a little trip to the coast.As we got backwe shut her off at Safeways and did some shopping. After climbing back into the car I started her up and heard the the now infamous "Clack-Clack-Clack" comming out of the engine. Yes...the other bank went. I learned alot about XJS's after the fact. Now that I'm looking for an XK8, I want to go into it with my eyes open.
So far from the various threads...I see that Jaguar has learned very little. They still have gremlins in the engine compartment as well as tranny problems. But then, if you go into any threads from various car forums...everybody is having difficulties with there "Jag-Mercedes-Corvette-Cadillac-etc." Thats what a good forum is for... people with problems ...andauto techs and hobbists that are willing to share their expertice.
So, I gather that Nikisol (I probably spelled that wrong) engine and timing chain tensioners are the main problem under the hood. And that some tranny's can be iffy. The rest is just cosmetics and how well you maintain this jewell.
Is it better to pick up a 2001 or higher than to buy the earlier years? And by all means have a Jag Tech check out the car before you lay out the lean green. I live about 30 miles out of Portland, and I've done business with "Monte Shelton Mtrs" as well as (my favorite) The Jag Shop.
Don't get me wrong...I am really fond of Jaguar..I loved my XJS, and my XJ Sovereign (I had zero problems with that one)...But now Iwould like to try my luck with an XK8. I'll be retiring from the Railroad in 8 months 9 days (but who's counting). After 34 years..I can give a few suggestions as to what they can do with that "Yard Goat". And I look forward to being enlightened on this site. Much less stuffier than some other site I won't mention.
Good day to you all
Fred

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default RE: Another Newbie...(sort of)...

Well, welcome Fred!

Yeah, Jaguar is still producing entertaining products. My opinion, there are three levels within the XK* series: '97 through '00 had the Nikasil issues but if it is still running without pumping oil that is probably behind us. Tensioners that haven't been replaced will have to be. Transmissions either fail or they don't. The permanent lubrication isn't. Electronics fail. Other issues are pretty easy and relatively inexpensive as long as you stay out of the dealers. The internetforboth Jag forums and parts search is great. These cars can be bought cheaply compared to what they cost new. '01/'02 had most of the early problems fixed and cost a little more. '03 up are reliable cars and still cost a lot. Being retired (almost) and able to work on the things is a great place to be. You will really enjoy the XK* and meet a lot of new friends.

I would add one thing: getting repair/maintainance records is important. All warranty work info is available by asking, nicely, at the dealer. A release from the previous owner(s) will get you actual copies of the repair invoices. You will feel much better knowing the issues the car has had repaired.

TestPoint

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Another Newbie...(sort of)...

Thank you Test Point for your reply. I do look forward to my eventual purchase. And I believe I'll focus on the "01-02". I like the use of yourterm "entertaining". I just hope I'm not "Overwhelmed". I've fired off an e-mail to my favorite Jag Techie to inquire about the cost of installing new "Tensioners". Here is a picture of the last Jag I had. I hope the next onetreats me better.
Thanks again for the reply...
Drive On
Fast Freddie
Well cancel that, I can't seem to upload a picture either....:>(((