XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another tale of oil cooler line failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another tale of oil cooler line failure

Hello all, Just the other day I decided to wash the xk8 and go for a drive. As I drove the car over to the spot I wash, I noticed a small puddle of oil where the jag was, Hmmm... I thought... I better check. Upon jacking the front of the car I could see oil running from the oil cooler line coming from the engine. Now, I've seen the posts so I was aware of this being a problem. I am however glad I found it BEFORE I went on my drive. Now my question; has anyone replaced the rubber, crimped-on sections?... there are several shops in my area that do this work. I don't mean to sound cheap but, if I buy all 4 new hoses from jag it will be a lot more than if I have the old ones repaired. From what I can see, it looks like standard high pressure hydraulic hose to me... any suggestions???? Thanks all.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't know why Jaguar used those high pressure fittings, on a fluid circuit that doesn't see more than 10 pounds of pressure. I got some half inch hose for gas and oil, cut off the crimp fittings, and with a lot of work slid the hoses over the barbs, and clamped them with regular hose clamps. If they were carrying the type of pressure those hoses are made for, you would have radiator pieces all over the front of your car. I bypassed the stock oil cooler in the radiator, because of all the muck that was coming out of it, and put an oil cooler and small fan in front of the condenser. I bolted the copper lines I made up, to the bellhousing lower bolts, so they would not fatigue, and sent the hoses up over the X-member to the new oil cooler, and clamped the rubber lines with regular hose clamps. I also clamped the hoses to the front member, with copper tubing clamps, so the engine vibration would not fatigue the fittings on the oil cooler. Considering the size of hose Jaguar used, the fittings going to the return side of the trans(passenger side) are only quarter inch. I suppose they used that as a restriction to keep the fluid in the cooler longer, because the outlet side is half inch tubing(NOTE!! Aluminum tubing does not bend well)......Hope this helps.....Mike

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM

THANK YOU MIKE, it sounds like what you did was for the Trans cooler... mine was the engine oil cooler. Perhaps not much different pressures? I am going to take one of the old lines to the hose shop later and see what they suggest. I could use hose clamps... I was just thinking I could use something that looked a little more like stock fittings... but reliability is my main concern.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-fixed-47636/
parts geek have em cheap

or

remove the assemblies and have a hydraulic hose shop go to town on them.

Using just clamps and hose will eventually fail,and blow off, when you are under heavy oil flow volume like the highway,as the oil starts to seep under the hose and clamps. To prevent this, the metal ends will need a flare at the ends of them, so the hose can grip to a lip when you clamp em down.

Last edited by aode06; 05-19-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 AM

Thank You aode06, I took your advise and ordered the hoses from parts geek. I will also take the old ones to the hose shop and see if they can repair them, I'll keep them for spares. Thanks also to H20 boy for that original post... my car has had the same three leaks his did!? Oh well, I'm not complaining... the jag has 147,000 miles and I caught this before doing any engine damage .... it will be a good weekend now.