Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 'Won't start' help request

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another 'Won't start' help request

Here's the story;

We are in the middle of a house move, and I managed to mislay my keys. They are most likely in the bottom of a box or bag somewhere. I tried my spare key, which I had never used before, and it will not crank the engine. It opens the doors and trunk, switches on the electrics when turned, but not the engine. Another thing is that the electric key fob does nothing, even with a new battery installed.

I was thinking that maybe the dealer gave me an incorrect spare key & fob, but if so, why does the key open the doors, etc.? As I understand it, there is an engine imobilisation device (chip?) in the key. Could this be incorrectly coded? My nearest Jag dealer is about 1-1/2 hour away, so I can head there to get a new set of keys, but I want to understand what is happening here first.

Another thing worth mentioning is that when I opened the trunk with the 'spare' key, I forgot that the alarm was on and I managed to wake up the neighborhood! Is there anything that needs resetting after a security alarm event?

Thanks,

Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To start the engine, the chip in your "dead" key will have to be programmed, most likely by a Jaguar dealer, unless you can find someone locally (Google local locksmiths, call those who advertise chipped key programming, and ask specifically about your model of Jaguar.) And unless you can find your working key, I would expect an up charge, since they won't have one to read for the correct code.

While it won't help you start your car, you can reprogram the fob to open doors and the trunk using instructions found on this web site (or Google it, or use these that worked for me:

1. Put key in ignition without turning to any position.

2. Hold turn signal in the flash to pass position, pulled towards you.

3. Turn key one position (aux) while holding the turn signal handle towards you.

4. Flash the turn signal handle towards you 4 or 5 times and you should hear a confirmation "chirp" from the security sounder. Also the security light next to the park shift lever will flash on.

5. After the chirp press all the buttons one at a time on the remote you wish to program listening for the chirp after each press, or a different sounding error tone meaning the programming didn't work.

6. To program two or more remotes, which will be required if more than one will be used, follow step 5 procedures one remote after another until all have been programmed.

7. Turn off the ignition and test all features of the remote(s).

8. If you did not get the initial chirp confirming the programming, or learning, mode, there could be either a problem with the security module or a problem with the procedure. The flashes after turning the key require a certain amount of feel, very rapid or very slow flashing will not work. The 4 or 5 flashes should take about 3 seconds, not rapid fire.

9. If you're having difficulties, check to make sure the remote(s) have good batteries and are placed in the remote correctly, or change the speed of the flashing of the turn signal handle.

I had just one key when I bought my car just a month or so ago, and the first thing I did was to have a couple of new ones made by a guy in England, coded by my (very reasonable, compared to the local locksmith option) local dealer, and connected them to aftermarket fobs I bought from eBay and programmed using the instructions above. A working spare will obviously save you a lot of potential trouble. But of course, you're now acutely aware of this . . .

Good luck!

Mike

Last edited by mikerocosm; 06-24-2014 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mcook (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

It was the key!

The car is now in it's new lair and all is well with the world once again.