XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!

Just got back in town and what started out to be a re spray with some dent and ding repair and some crazing on the front fenders has turned into a nightmare!!
My body shop guy has found the crazing in several more spots. It was primarily on the front hood and fenders. But he also found it on the nose and boot lid.
It's now been totally taken to bare metal and new primer. $$$$$
What's the deal with the crazing. I had a 2002 X type a few years ago that had the exact same issue! And it was black too.
I'm wondering ho many other jaguars have the same issues.
On a good note, I saw the paint in person finally. A test piece. It's the richest black metallic I've ever seen. In the sun it looks like black diamonds and in the shade, it's just black. I think I chose well!!
A few pics in the process!! He's planning on having it finished next Wednesday. Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!-image.jpg

Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!-image.jpg
Had to post this so I could remember what I started with!! I miss my car!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Phil--glad you decided to stay in the country

Anyway the paint on my 2005 is still virtually perfect and seems much more robust than previous cars I have owned. The only problem spot has been the front bumper where some of the clear coat has flaked off. I suspect that there was a respray of the bumper by the previous owner and the application of the clear coat was not done as well as it could have been. It is not all that noticeable since it is low and right in front of the passenger side wheel so I have been ignoring it.

Doug

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a very small amount of crazing on my bonnet and one front wing and yes, my car is black (2001). I had wondered whether it was the result of a previous repair, but when XKRacer had a look over my car when I first got it, he identified some repair work at the rear, but reckoned the front was untouched.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I have two quarter-sized areas on the rear (vertical section under the trunk lid). Mine is the dark pacific blue for what it's worth. None anywhere else and it doesn't seem to be spreading.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

crazing/ cracking is a pain in the ***.
Almost all of the time you have to sand the surface bare and prime over it.
If you try any short cuts it usually ends up finding its way past the new clear after a few days.
Your painter did the right thing.

The crazing means that the products expand and contract at different rates and over time cause cracks in your finish.
Which means your car has been resprayed before and whoever did it saved a lot of money and time by not sanding to the bare surface.
This doesn't mean whoever worked on your car before is a crap shop. It just means the previous owner did not want to pay for the extra work.

To be honest most of the time you can get away with not sanding to bare metal it all depends on the year and what the car has gone through before.

Painting is just chemistry class all over again except sometimes it turns into a guessing game as to the products previously used on the car.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I was discussing paint with asupplier recently and he told me that the primer, basecoat and clear coat for bumpers is more flexible than that for sheet metal. But that doesn't explain the problem you guys are seeing. If your cars are repaints, that would be different. All bets are off then.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

My 2002 XKR which had virtually all original paint until about 3 weeks ago when I had the front clip resprayed due to 130,000 miles worth of road rash has had no crazing or cracking, and the original paint on everything but the front looks virtually new as I had the whole car wet sanded after the front clip was painted. Where I had this type of situation was with my Pantera where the paint from 1972 would not prime properly and when I had the car repainted when I got 7-8 years ago, it kept cracking and peeling. Bare metal sanding seems to be the only solution to this. However, I would bet that the crazing or cracking that appears on some of our cars is due to previous repair work and shortcuts taken at the time that body work or paint work was done. Otherwise it would probably appear evenly all over the car.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

So Phil, what colour did you finally decide to pain the car? I'm betting it's going to look real sweet when it's done!

Now this is starting to scare me guys. You're saying that crazing and cracking is due to bad previous repair work. So, I'm guessing my car went through a doozie... Ugh, I'd hate to think my car was involved in a big accident.

Phil, I've never seen a picture of your car where the paint looks bad, so I have to ask, what do you mean by crazing? Did it look like this?

Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!-img_2653.jpg

Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!-img_2655.jpg

This is the reason I never take pictures of the passenger side of my car. Now, my boot lid is starting to craze a little, but it hasn't lost the clear coat like in these pics. It just is starting to look like it has spider webs.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

I've done some research and found that there was a problem with the black paint on several jaguar models in the 2001-2004 cars. It's something to do between the primer and the paint. Oddly enough it's usually confined to the front end of the car but its now showing up on areas further back. When he sanded down to the primer, it still showed the hair like cracks in that layer as well. Possibly due to the heat.
Now that mine is bare metal paint job, I hopefully have cleaned up the factory issues. I also found it was also an issue with ford cars in Europe as well. But only black!
If you see fine hair like cracks in the paint, it's gonna get worse!! My right fender looked like a short haired dog had shed on it, my bonnet and left fender only had scattered cracks. But once sanded down to the primer, the cracks were even, just not through the paint yet.
I called my dealer and he said they know about the issue. But of course it didnt show itself until years later.
So, if you have a black car in those years, you've got a 50/50 chance it's gonna happen!!

Last edited by philhef; 10-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
So Phil, what colour did you finally decide to pain the car? I'm betting it's going to look real sweet when it's done!

Now this is starting to scare me guys. You're saying that crazing and cracking is due to bad previous repair work. So, I'm guessing my car went through a doozie... Ugh, I'd hate to think my car was involved in a big accident.

Phil, I've never seen a picture of your car where the paint looks bad, so I have to ask, what do you mean by crazing? Did it look like this?

Attachment 59775

Attachment 59776

This is the reason I never take pictures of the passenger side of my car. Now, my boot lid is starting to craze a little, but it hasn't lost the clear coat like in these pics. It just is starting to look like it has spider webs.

Nope, that's a clear coat failure. Much easier to deal with. Sort of. It can be sanded down to the color, then re painted. Mine looked like 1" hairs all over as if a dog shed on it. If I used black wax, it minimized the damage, but in the sun, it was visible. Mine was all the way down to the primer.
Believe me, those that have this issue know exactly what I'm talking about. I wish it was a clear coat failure.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

This is what it looks like. If I used black wax, it filled cracks and only the sun showed the cracks. This pic is taken after washed, still wet, no wax.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

So a clear coat failure... Why does that happen?

Phil, what about this on my boot; what is it?

Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!-img_3555.jpg

Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Holy crap Phil, that looks real bad.

So, what's the recommended procedure with a clear coat failure? And why does it happen?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
I have two quarter-sized areas on the rear (vertical section under the trunk lid). Mine is the dark pacific blue for what it's worth. None anywhere else and it doesn't seem to be spreading.
If its on the metal, maybe. If its on the urethane bumper, it's probably a stress bump. That's what happened on my front nose. This definitely looks like fine hairs, starts like single hair cracks, then oddly enough becomes a Y shape, then they start connecting.
I've only found info on the black paint. No other colors. And almost always on the front fenders and bonnet/hood.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Holy crap Phil, that looks real bad.

So, what's the recommended procedure with a clear coat failure? And why does it happen?
Ok. I'm actually calling my brother on this!! He used to paint cars.
He says either they didn't wet sand enough and clean residue before clear coating, or there was some contaminant between color and clear, or the last possibility is that they used a not compatible clear coat for the base color.
Every layer of paint depends on the final prep of the previous coat.
If someone like Maaco does a 99.00 bumper repaint, they do the least amount of work, and usually it looks good for a year or so, then it will start to fail. He says "you get what you pay for!"

Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a sample of my actual paint! And this is just with a spot light in my house. He just sprayed the front bonnet and bumpers so i had him spray an old XJS headlight trim piece. In the sun it explodes! It's really subtle but I think it's totally unique. I've never seen a true black metallic XK8. It's a little warm black in the sun so I think it's going to be awesome!!

Quick Reply: Anyone else having paint crazing on front? Paint job much bigger!!