XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had their fuel system cleaned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Anyone had their fuel system cleaned?

Happened to catch an old Wheeler Dealer episode on an XK8 they were working on. They cleaned the fuel system and it seemed like it made a huge difference in emissions and increased performance. Just wondering if anyone has had this service done and what you paid.

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd like to do the same... here's the video (around the 24:24 mark..)

I've used the additive in the gas tank bit a few times but I know at the dealership I used to work at they would do the exact same thing he did in the video. A few employees had it done to their personal car and they all said it helped with their mpg big time... I'd like to get it done :/

Here's the video he's talking about...

Old 01-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

For any cleaner to do any good the system would need to be dirty in the first place. Modern fuels have more than enough cleaning additives in them to achieve this. Please read the recent in-depth investigation done by the AAA which documents this. Even the worst no name off-brand fuels get the job done.

Wheeler Dealers is one of the worst snake oil promoters going. Save your money.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Amsoil Performance Improver is a cleaner that has given excellent results when the fuel system actually needed it. I agree with Mikey that most systems are not in need of a cleaning and add a caution. If you have an lot of sludge or other dirt in the fuel tank, it is possible that you will dissolve it into the fuel and make it pass through the entire system causing a world of hurt. I did it to a car myself as have others. Ended up having to dump the tank, clean it, flush the rail and replace the injectors. Once a tank is close to twenty years of use without ever being cleaned, do not dump solvents and detergents into it.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Repost of a WARNING:

I remember seeing this video, I was impressed with the engine decarbinizer too. Since then I've kept an eye out for this kind of thing and wanted to give folks a heads up. I was stunned to view exposes on the WWW targeting folks at oil change franchises. These are franchises that you and I pass every day but here's my point. I don't think the "engine cleaning service" they sell is anything like the one above - DON"T make that mistake.

In fact I invite you to research it before you ever consider using one - there are so many reports of engine failures after this service you would be shocked. In fact one of the news channels involved produced documents from Honda that flat out warn you not to ever utilize this service.

I am adding this because I dont want anyone making the mistake of thinking that the service offered at your quick oil change place is the same thing you see in this video. For those who want to look into this further google: "Jiify lube engine flush damage" and make your own decision.

Hope this helps down the road.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 01-28-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Found my original post, better details.