XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had TRAC & ASC turn on and off while cornering?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Anyone had TRAC & ASC turn on and off while cornering?

Yesterday I bent my Virgin 2000 XKR Conv.. I was turning right (American road) at a reasonable speed crossed some wide paint stripes while it was misting and the back end started coming around. I was doing maybe 15-20 mph. As I am turning into the slide the TRAC not available message was flashing in the center of the console as well as the ASC NOT AVAILABLE.
THE CAR WAS FIGHTING WITH ME SLOWING THE STEERING, THEN IT LOOSENED UPAND I OVER CORRECTED. SOMEHOW THE CAR HAD HIT A DRY PATCH AND SPEED UP AS IT WAS STRAIGHTENING UP CAUSING AN OVERCORRECTION AND ME, THE CAR TRAVELING BACKWARDS IN A TANGENT TO THE CORNER. IT (the right front wheel and right nose) Popped over the left turn island and impacted a small Ford SUV. YES THE RIGHT FRONT HEADLIGHT, BUMPER COVER ALL ON THE RIGHT.
HAS ANYONE HAD THE TRACTION CONTROL, THE ASC EVER FIGHT YO FOR CONTROL???

Old 11-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

On a semi regular basis, if I make a very sharp turn (usually left) my Traction Control/ASC NOT AVAILABLE warning light will go on, and obviously, with it the loss of use of both. This is, unfortunately, not a terribly unusual occurance. The cable to the wheel sensor, by way of how it's mounted, gets stretched during the turn, enough to break the contact and cause the fault. Typically, you restart the car, you're wheels are now straight, the cable is back in its place, and all is well. My guess is that this happened on your "overcorrection," and it triggered the fault and therefore your traction control stopped working. Unfortunately, you were in the middle of a turn on a slippery/sliding episode where you needed it. If this was indeed the scenario, there are fixes by lengthening the cable or repositioning how it's mounted. A few days ago, I made a sharp turn while backing out of a driveway, and it happened to me, as well. Fortunately, pavement was dry, and I backed out at about 5mph.

Hope the damage wasn't too bad, and at least no one was injured.

The following users liked this post:
kulddy (11-20-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Thanks! I know the motor-hydraulic pump needs to be rebuilt. The damage estimate is $4000.00 so far but they don't have it all apart, hopefully it won't be much more and they will fix it! Nose is almost 2K of the estimate. The right front wheel has .25" of negative camber. Value for them (Progressive) is around 12K, so I got a little to play with. Crossing my fingers!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Default RIP XKR...

The totaled it 60K miles, the parts were so expensive PROGRESSIVE TOTALED IT. Yet they want $8,500 to buy it back?

BWWWAAAAHHH, SNIFF SNIIF, BWAAHH

:icon_bricks

Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Default [b][i]need body parts for 2000 xkr front end[/i][/b]

I took my bent 2000 XKR out of the insurance companies clutches. I told them to remove my claim because with all of your help I believe I can fix it better and way cheaper. THANK ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP! Sincerely Wayne (kooldaddy) McDowell