XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Install Mesh Grill XK8

Following my bourbon enhanced post last evening, I went to Home Despot and found springs that I believe would work. You get 4 for $4.00+tax. an you would have to purchase about 16-20 springs @$1 each. I found same thing on HarborFreight.com (200 zinc plated spring assortment) for $4.50+shipping. I have ordered them. The size needed would appear to be 1-1/2 inches of spring with curved 'hook' on both ends. I imagine I will fashion a little device to pull them through the mesh and then release. That should be it. And, yes, I will take and post before and after pictures when I'm done.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 3-piece wire mesh grill on XK8

I also have one. I will take a few pics tomorrow and post them. Here's what my '99 XK8 looks like as of this past Saturday. I'm suppose to get it back, finished, tomorrow and will take more pics of it completed. I got mine from a 2000 XKR donor car.

frank

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-xk8repair.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Let me know how much you would like for it. Mine has crack in the middle. thanks steve

Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM

Steve, mine might not work...it's from the '99. I'll check it out.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stetson1
I also have one. I will take a few pics tomorrow and post them. Here's what my '99 XK8 looks like as of this past Saturday. I'm suppose to get it back, finished, tomorrow and will take more pics of it completed. I got mine from a 2000 XKR donor car.

frank
Wow, that's a lot of work just to install a mesh grille.

Last edited by bakntyme; 01-12-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Wink Install mesh grill without screws and clips

I got the grill "fitted", Blokes. Using a dozen or so springs I secured the top and bottom of each of the three pieces to whatever non-moving flat I could find. It looks good and feels very tight. In hindsight, I would spray paint the chrome cross member flat black, then install. My tools were: coat hanger to snag loop on springs, parrot nose pliers to cut spring loops, hemostat to lock onto springs and pull to either grill or flat spot. That's it. I have photos...now to figure out how to post for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by brantman; 01-13-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: delete unnecessary sentence.
The following users liked this post:
Gus (01-13-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by brantman

I got the grill "fitted", Blokes. Using a dozen or so springs I secured the top and bottom of each of the three pieces to whatever non-moving flat I could find. It looks good and feels very tight. In hindsight, I would spray paint the chrome cross member flat black, then install. My tools were: coat hanger to snag loop on springs, parrot nose pliers to cut spring loops, hemostat to lock onto springs and pull to either grill or flat spot. That's it. I have photos...now to figure out how to post for your viewing pleasure.
Looks good, even with the chrome splitter behind it. Is this an aftermarket one from Mina or somewhere? It doesn't look like it has the mounts that the factory XKR one has built on. I would guess this is why it has the ugly L brackets you talked about and I would agree that the springs give it a better look without visible screws. I sprayed the hidden back bracket on my factory XKR grille so it is even less noticable when I put on mine.

brantman (01-23-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Looks good but I think you would be even happier if you had taken off the splitter. It's meant to sit back much further. And actually, you could have mounted to the black bumper bar behind the chrome splitter once removed, with two black screws in each panel. They totally disappear if black against the black bumper bar. I think I may have used a few back spacers to push out just a bit but I eventually used the full mesh and even removed the over riders.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:22 PM

The mesh grill was just a 'by-product' of repairing a front end collision. My car is a '99 XK8 and the donor car I located and bought was a low milage 2000 XKR. It came out really nice and I do like the look!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM

I installed mine using springs. Just hook in grill and to a good flat area inside the front end. I is holding up just fine. Was easier than screws and tabs and not visible over a couple feet away.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Brant an, I like the way yours looks sitting a little further out and with the splinter behind it.

brantman (01-19-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 05:04 PM

I believe in 'clearing the way'! You betcha! Easier to work on the support pieces and get to all the bolts, screws and misc! I want it lookn GOOD, ya understand!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good Brantman!. I was wondering how the mesh grille would look on my white XK8 but now I know...props!

Old 01-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm in the process of installing a flat black grille from Mina Gallery, which I probably wouldn't have attempted without reading some threads on the subject in this forum. I have the nose off, as well as the splitter and the outrigger covers, now just need to remove the two center outriggers. The grille will be recessed (not flush) with the opening in the nose, and I have a strake/splitter from the 2006 XK8 installed on it. Hoping it will pay homage to the original E-type front end, which I've always loved.

I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:23 PM

Just repaired the front of my '99 XK8, with the front of a 2000 XKR. Still need the hood aligned but like the new look!!!

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-xk84.jpg   Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-xk82.jpg   Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-xk83.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Installing a mesh grille

I thought I’d follow up with some pictures of the end result of my grille replacement project. My original intent was to attempt to have my 2000 XK8 pay homage to the original E-Type nose. After some suggestions from others on the forum (thank you all), I contacted Mina Gallery and discussed with them how best to proceed. They suggested a black mesh grille with a strake from (I believe) a 2007 model which they were able to provide.. The project which, seemed simple from the outset, took longer than I estimated due in no small part to my working in a poorly-heated garage during the worst winter in years. While it’s not as close to the original E-Type design as I would have liked (see attached file), at least the black “fangs” are gone. Many thanks to Chris at Mina Gallery, who patiently answered numerous questions and offered suggestions when I got stuck (which was more often than I care to admit).

I’ve also attached a picture of the round circle on the nose where I removed the original medallion. My plan was to fill in the mounting holes with Bondo, sand the area smooth, and use my Dr. Color Chip kit to blend in the paint. Unfortunately, I hadn’t counted on how much the paint had faded over the last 15 years, and I now have a clearly darker circle to deal with, which limits my options to either having the entire nose professionally painted, or finding a medallion or badge that will cover the circle and while maintaining the front styling aesthetic. If anyone can offer any suggestions as to how this can be addressed easily and not too expensively, I would be very grateful.

Max

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-imag0115.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Jaguar Grille Project.docx (625.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Max224 looks nice.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Default oem grill from 2000 xkr to my xk8

go for it!!!

Last edited by stetson1; 03-08-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
I thought I’d follow up with some pictures of the end result of my grille replacement project. My original intent was to attempt to have my 2000 XK8 pay homage to the original E-Type nose. After some suggestions from others on the forum (thank you all), I contacted Mina Gallery and discussed with them how best to proceed. They suggested a black mesh grille with a strake from (I believe) a 2007 model which they were able to provide.. The project which, seemed simple from the outset, took longer than I estimated due in no small part to my working in a poorly-heated garage during the worst winter in years. While it’s not as close to the original E-Type design as I would have liked (see attached file), at least the black “fangs” are gone. Many thanks to Chris at Mina Gallery, who patiently answered numerous questions and offered suggestions when I got stuck (which was more often than I care to admit).

I’ve also attached a picture of the round circle on the nose where I removed the original medallion. My plan was to fill in the mounting holes with Bondo, sand the area smooth, and use my Dr. Color Chip kit to blend in the paint. Unfortunately, I hadn’t counted on how much the paint had faded over the last 15 years, and I now have a clearly darker circle to deal with, which limits my options to either having the entire nose professionally painted, or finding a medallion or badge that will cover the circle and while maintaining the front styling aesthetic. If anyone can offer any suggestions as to how this can be addressed easily and not too expensively, I would be very grateful.

Max

If I were you I think that the first thing that I would try is something like this
to see if you could actually restore the faded paint to match the darker circle, which would be the best possible option. If it didn't work, then you would have to try something else. Of course, I am not saying to do exactly what this fellow recommends, but whatever way that you choose to try to restore the paint so that it regains the original color as shown under the badge would be the ideal solution even if that meant having it professionally done.

Last edited by Kevin D; 03-09-2015 at 12:46 AM.
max224 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by max224

Max
You'll be happier if you have it totally painted. Usually it's not that expensive especially is you can take off the bumper, repair the holes and then pick up after done. Re install yourself. Saves labor.
You won't be happy with a second badge. I tried the same thing and bought one of the winged jaguar badges. It covered holes but the faded paint and the faint circle left from the badge always showed. I think I paid about 150 to have the nose painted.
Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?-image.jpg

Quick Reply: Anyone install mesh grilles on XK8?