XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the Torque app

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Anyone using the Torque app

I just purchased an OBDII bluetooth reader and downloaded the Torque pro app a few weeks ago. I have used the app a few times and its really pretty cool. I just started messing with upgrading a little bit of the exhaust system on the Jag and was wondering if anyone is using this app to actually track their gains on horsepower and torque? I have already replaced the stock rear mufflers with some (Borla type) Nitro mufflers and feel like this has made a little bit of a difference but the growl factor is not there so Im gonna have the front mufflers totally removed and replaced with pipe. I should have tried a before and after before this modification but I didnt. What Ill do now is do a before and after mod after each upgrade to give a true reading if air filters, exhaust, mods, etc make a difference. The torque app has a video feature that will take video as your driving with all the dials embedded around the video for real time readings so I will use this and see if there is any gains. Anyone trying this?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Haven't tried the video yet. Let us know how it works, or post if you can.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM
dld
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torque app for Jaguar

I have the standard (free) Torque app. I have not managed to get it to recognice my car. It say it has not found a suitable protocol (or really "searching protocol" for hours until I gave up).
Do anyone know what protocol a 1997 Jaguar Xk8 should use?
Can it be a difference between the Torque Pro and the free version?
Can my European Xk8 be the problem?

Please any help would be appreciated, she is a bitt of a tricky cat for me with new fault everytime I see her.

Best regards
Daniel

Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dld
I have the standard (free) Torque app. I have not managed to get it to recognice my car. It say it has not found a suitable protocol (or really "searching protocol" for hours until I gave up).
Do anyone know what protocol a 1997 Jaguar Xk8 should use?
Can it be a difference between the Torque Pro and the free version?
Can my European Xk8 be the problem?

Please any help would be appreciated, she is a bitt of a tricky cat for me with new fault everytime I see her.

Best regards
Daniel

I haven't used Torque Pro on my XK8 (US) but with the UltraGauge it has to be set to force 9141 protocol.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Daniel,

At the risk of offending you with the obvious .............. in addition to the "Torque" application on your phone, you also need a Bluetooth interface which connects to the car via the diagnostic socket. Some of the very cheap ELM bluetooth interface units available on that well-known auction site can be a bit hit-and-miss - some work (like my second one) and some don't (like the first one I got which I had to return as faulty.
Cheers,
David.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I also use Torque, but the paid version. I can tell you that the paid version has a lot more going for it, including being able to chart various sensors over time which is great. I haven't tried the hp or 1/4 mile part of it, but the real world driving stats are worth it for me.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Piad means what...$5? I am using it witha $15 ebay BT adapter.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
dld

Great, a lot of responses!
I really appreciate that. I have had a question on the Torque app page for months and haven gotten any response.
I do have a Bluetooth connector, a cheep one but it do work on my old Saab 9000 (the first one I bought did not, so your remark is very important).
The phone and also Torque finds the bluetooth and tries to connect. On the Saab it only takes a couple of second, but on the Jaguar it just states "searching protocol".
I will see if I find any thing like force 9141 protocol, thanks for the tip!
I am planning to buy the pro version, but I just wanted to check if Torque was able to work on my car before buying.
Thanks so much for all your responses!
/Daniel

Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dld
Great, a lot of responses!
I really appreciate that. I have had a question on the Torque app page for months and haven gotten any response.
I do have a Bluetooth connector, a cheep one but it do work on my old Saab 9000 (the first one I bought did not, so your remark is very important).
The phone and also Torque finds the bluetooth and tries to connect. On the Saab it only takes a couple of second, but on the Jaguar it just states "searching protocol".
I will see if I find any thing like force 9141 protocol, thanks for the tip!
I am planning to buy the pro version, but I just wanted to check if Torque was able to work on my car before buying.
Thanks so much for all your responses!
/Daniel
I ordered my blue tooth reader specifically for my xk8 but I have connected successfuly to a Ford Taurus, Scion, and a jag s type. The torque app worked for all these vehicles using the same Bluetooth reader. It however did not work for a Chrysler pt cruiser. Just fyi if u can't make it work with ur Saab.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

my previuos ELM clone worked on my jag, but didn't connect to my mom's Lincoln. Go figure. The current one I own works on all of the vehicles I have and in my family, so keeping that sucker!

Here is an ebay ad which is just like mine, just in case someone was looking for one proven to work with Torque and jags.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone using the Torque app-%24-kgrhqz-j-f-eemfr-vbqptimsq8-%7E%7E60_57.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

+1 to Matt's recommendation

I have the identical BT connector and it works perfectly with Torque.

Graham

Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm not convinced that this excellent app can directly measure either engine HP or torque.
I don't see how it can acquire that data since it is not sensed.
This dongle
Bluetooth Android ELM327 1.5 OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scanner Tool CAR CODE READER | eBay
also works.
You will need to go into the Torque setup menu to tell it what OBD adapter you are using - at the moment it is probably trying to pair with your car phone bluetooth.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
dld

Hi again,

I am very grateful for all replies, feels like this site really can help!
Sorry if I have not expressed my self clear enough. I have managed to connect the phone to my bluetooth device, and also connected Torque to that device, but it will not find any protocol that it wants to use. I have not had time to check MRomanik´s tip (it is midsummer’s eve weekend in Sweden, so I will not do to much driving), but I will try to find the protocol he suggested later.
Best regards
Daniel

Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Default Knock detector and Track recorder

Just FYI - there are other apps that you can down load to work in conjuction with Torque and they are the following:

Knock detector- which is suppose to sense if your car has any knocking problems which may be due to cheap gas or injection problems.

Track recorder - Video your real time information as you drive around town. You can add dials that surrond the outer edge of your video that include coolant temp, 0-60 times, rpms, vaccum, etc.... It even has a transparent Google map in the back ground that you can turn on and off.

I was using this app when I got an engine fault app due to the coolant sensor. I definately recommend the track recorder. i will try and upload a video soon if I find a way to export it. I think I can take out my SD card from my phone and load it on to my computer..stay tuned.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

So you're definitely seeing a Bluetooth device called something like OBDxxx ?
In Torque settings you may want to disable ELM327 auto-timeout
I don't think you have control over the protocol - it either works or doesn't.
Does the dongle light up like an oil refinery when you turn the ignition on ?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM
dld

Hi Steve.
Thanks for you tip!
My phone finds the device, it is called OBDII. I manage to tell Torque to use that device, and it manages to connect, but then it starts "Checking Protocol". And after about 20 minutes it states that it can’t find any protocol. It writes something else also, but it is shown for such a short time that I could not read it.
I looked through some of the settings I can do on my free Torque version, but nothing about protocols, does anyone know if there is a list of protocols that Torque lite and Torque Pro supports?
Best regards
Daniel

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid your dongle isn't working.
Torque talks to the dongle and the dongle has to sort out the OBD protocols

Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 PM
dld

Hi Steve,
I am pretty sure my dongle is working as I have used it, together with Torque, on both my Saab 9000 and my sisters Volvo S80.
Is there anywhere that I can find a list with the available protocols in Torque lite and Torque Pro, to see if there are any difference?
Best regards
Daniel

Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid my take on this is that the problem's with the dongle.
It is it that negotiates protocol with the CAN bus, this isn't controlled from the app.
Jaguars CAN protocol isn't in the repertoire of your dongle.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
I'm not convinced that this excellent app can directly measure either engine HP or torque.
I don't see how it can acquire that data since it is not sensed.
On VAG cars the engine ECU provides a continuous torque estimate which can be read with some readers, this combined with the engine RPM allows you to estimate the engine HP.

I have not spent enough time messing round with my Auto Enginuity cable to see if engine torque is reported by my XK8 yet.

Another method used in the 1.8T VAG communities to estimate HP is to scale the MAF reading, the standard 225bhp 1.8T uses 180g of air per second at WOT at max RPM, so BHP ~= MAF / 0.8. Using this method may not give absolute values but is great for comparing the relative performance impact of any mods that are carried out.

An interesting anecdote is that I was able to increase the boost on my TT turbo which took the MAF max vales from 180g/s to 215g/s (~268 bhp). The car ran well for a further 5 years and 80k miles before the turbo was shot and the exhaust manifold cracked.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Torque app