XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrrgggg - trans rotary switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Arrrgggg - trans rotary switch

The other day I had a crank but no start situation and got the Failsafe message and a code 1517. I tried to start the car in neutral, but it wouldn't crank at all in that position so it appears to be a bad rotary switch. I picked up a used switch, but have been pulling what little hair I have left out trying to find the correct electrical plug. it seems that every plug I touch on this car brakes the retainer, so I'd like to be sure I'm fighting the correct one to begin with. I can't climb in there well enough to really see, but am I correct that it's the plug that's hung on the drivers side rear of the harness junction mess right under the TB?

That LS swap is sounding better to me all the time.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The transmission selector switch plug is located between the firewall and the throttle body and can be simply identified by moving the lead that goes to the switch on the right side of the trans. You will need to remove the intake pipe to have access.
Your P1517 leads me to your shifter cable being out of adjustment or the switch is bad. Are your lights lit when you have the selector in a position? Remember that your shifter, selector switch and the transmission control module must all be in sync. If your cable is out of adjustment all sorts of things will go out of sync.

The following users liked this post:
cruisin (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
The transmission selector switch plug is located between the firewall and the throttle body and can be simply identified by moving the lead that goes to the switch on the right side of the trans. You will need to remove the intake pipe to have access.
Your P1517 leads me to your shifter cable being out of adjustment or the switch is bad. Are your lights lit when you have the selector in a position? Remember that your shifter, selector switch and the transmission control module must all be in sync. If your cable is out of adjustment all sorts of things will go out of sync.
I just double checked and yes, each indicator light does function correctly. I'm guessing that these also go through the rotary switch, and is the reason you mentioned it?? the car cranks and starts at the moment, but I guess if that's the case then the test would be to ck for indicator lights when it won't start.
I haven't been able to get under the car yet, as I have it parked on a Bend-Pac scissor lift, which makes accessing the trans difficult. tomorrow I'll pull the car out of the shop, move the lift out of the way, put the car up on jack-stands, and remove the rotary switch so I can pull the clips and follow the wire to locate the dang plug. I'll check the cable adjustment at the same time, but I'm pretty sure the switch is flaky.

Thanks for the tips,

Russ