XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Idiot Needs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio Idiot Needs Help!

OK... I just spent 4 eyeball bleeding hours reading every post I could relate to 2000 XK8 convertible Rear speaker issues. Since the one thing I know squat about is audio, please help. The basic issue is when I got the car I hear the 2 rear pillar unit working but no volume except a little. So...

1. Do I understand correctly that these 2 pieces are sub woofers only

2. I ask this since as far as I can learn I assume I don't have the harmon kardon system only because there is no badging I can find on the car that says HK

3. I found a useful post on removing the grills and accessing the bendable tabs, I did this, removed the speakers and checked the wiring, all is good.

4. I have become an expert at using the "mode" function to set up the system since I have disconnected the battery 5 or 6 times and yes I have the SW setting at 5

5. I have a great working knowledge of electrical wiring, hell I've created full harnesses from schematics one wire at a time for many cars but I have no basic knowledge at all as to how to test for a proper signal at the speaker from the system, what values and measuring meter to use when it is on (volts, milliamps, ohms, pasta strainer, etc..)

6. I am pretty sure you test a speaker disconnected visually, magnetically and with ohms but am I right and what is the correct reading to find.

7. lastly if the units are bad I want to replace them with inexpensive units like for like function and size wise, no upgrade, no premium sound. I just want to fix it back to stock like condition.

Obywan Kannoby... if you are out there please help, thanks.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Many times its the foam surround that fails on these. If thats still good and no sound use an ohm meter to see if the speakers still have continuity.

Is there no sound at all out of them or just nasty distorted noise?

Used ones come up on Fleabay but they are just as old as yours and may have weak foam.

Also as a note whatever is listed on the speaker will not be the same as the DC resistance you see with a meter. If it says 2 ohms that was what would be measured with an impedance bridge meter and what your DVM reads will be DC resistance and will be quite different. But you can still determine if the speaker coil is open circuit ot not.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 10-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInVA
Many times its the foam surround that fails on these. If thats still good and no sound use an ohm meter to see if the speakers still have continuity.

Is there no sound at all out of them or just nasty distorted noise?

Used ones come up on Fleabay but they are just as old as yours and may have weak foam.

Also as a note whatever is listed on the speaker will not be the same as the DC resistance you see with a meter. If it says 2 ohms that was what would be measured with an impedance bridge meter and what your DVM reads will be DC resistance and will be quite different. But you can still determine if the speaker coil is open circuit ot not.

Dave
Thanks I will take a new look at the foam but both units look brand new. The sound I get is clear, feeble, no distortion cracks or pops. I was almost convinced it was the head or amplifier but after reading other posts it seems many others with this problem meandered all over the place also so I can't pick up any clear step by step diagnostics for someone to follow. Most seem to fix the issue by replacing the speaker or sub woofer but I don't even feel comfortable with what I've read that they are sub woofers or speakers. if I was certain I'd buy some cheap correct pieces and replace them and if it is fixed then look for a correct quality set. To me that would be cheaper than all the time and wasted meandering in doing something totally wrong like put in a speaker and it should be a SW and it still doesn't work and spending days chasing a problem deep in the car that doesn't exist

Old 10-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

If there is sound and its clear the voice coil is likely ok. If both are doing the same thing it seems weird they would both fail the same way. When the foam is bad pieces of it start falling out or it will fall apart when touched. The foam wouldn't cause the problem you are having. It does seem more likely the problem will be in the head or the amps.
Do you have an old stereo receiver you can temporarily hook them too? if they play ok that way then the problem is elsewhere.

Dave

Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 PM

No I don't have anything to hook them to but by your reply I can tell you understand why I'm puzzled. Both are as I described side to side and the integrity of the pieces are like they were brand new. As badly as I want to just try and replace them it doesn't make sense yet that it is the speakers or SW whatever they are.