Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
... My question is were they all defective up through '06? Or were they OK after a certain year? I'm wondering if my '05 will eventually need the repair.
Good question, I am pretty certain all mirrors manufactured by Donnelly are suspect. And it appears, all the early year Jags, not just the XK8's, were built using the defective product. My theory is the mirrors changed sometime after Donnelly was bought out by the much larger Magna in the summer of 2002. If mirror problems began to surface, Magna would certainly have had the resources to re-engineer the mirror. Furthermore, everything I have read about mirror replacement program has had the Magna name associated with it.

So I am guessing the upgraded mirror was available sometime after 2002. I haven't seen too many mirror replacements in cars assembled after that. (If someone has a later model problem mirror, let me know and I will edit this page. ) There is probably a cutoff month, with a few cars afterwards getting old batch mirrors when they assembled. Remember this is a Magna Donnelly issue, not a Jaguar one.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jnporcello (06-02-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by elkriver
My wifes 99 is the same way. No auto darkening on any mirrors and no auto headlights although it's supposed to have them. Maybe someone knows if fixing the mirror will help.

Does anyone know this YET? I am wanting to get my mirror fixed or replaced and would like to know if anyone has had the company fix the mirror and the auto lights started working again???

Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I do not know the chemical composition of the chromatic fluid. However, I had read somewhere that the chromatic fluid is toxic. So toxic in fact that when the problem first surfaced, Magna-Donnelly replaced the mirrors free. It was a voluntary action, not a recall so we cannot make a claim on it. Still they have been pretty good about standing behind their product with the exchange program. It is certainly better than sourcing another OEM mirror from Jag NA to the tune of $400+.

The following 2 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
Fyrplg (08-08-2011), scottrader1 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks Gordo

Mine died this week on my 97 XK8, I had no problem getting the mirror off, you just pull off the back plastic plate (facing the windshield), put your finger up there where you feel the metal tab that is slightly flexible, push it fwd (upward), while sliding the entire unit downward, popped right off, I've done it a couple times thusfar, no need for any hammering or anything.
As to the fluid, I just got off the phone with a guy at Magna (I was hoping to convince them to replace mine under this rumored recall) who told me it is not toxic despite what I read on the internet. I don't recall his exact word, but he said something about it being an electrolite fluid and that you wouldn't want to drink it, but that it's not going to harm you if you just wash it off, so who knows.
Anyway, I've also contacted Sybesma's Electronics, and they currently require you to send in your current unit and they will refurb and send it back to you, $95 plus the cost to ship yours to Michigan. They claim no more than 72hrs from receipt to shipping it back to you.
Thanks for the tutorial, it was super helpful.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Mine just died, too. I successfully removed it this evening, it's packed up and will be on its way to Sybesma tomorrow. I called them and got the same response...72 hour turnaround, $ 95.

Thanks Gordo, your mirror DIY is a gift that keeps on giving.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Good to know about the 72 hour turn around. I just shipped my dads out on Monday. I left my phone number so they could call me and get the credit card info. Hopefully they'll call today. Looks like they're getting a few this week.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default A LOT of dead rearview mirrors out there...and not just on Jags.

Looks like they're getting a few this week.
More than a few! Sybesma received my mirror today and called for payment...I spoke to the customer service rep for a few minutes. This one company receives 8 - 12 auto-dimming rearview mirrors for repair EVERY DAY. The vast majority have the same problem ours do, and most are from BMWs and a few other high-end cars.

That's about 2,500 mirror repairs a year, for this one little company, based on five days of shipment receipts per week. And these are just the mirrors from guys like us, who want to avoid the dealer and have found an alternative.

A nice reminder that Jags aren't the only high-end rides with a few glitches here and there.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...and another one bites the dust. The mirror on my wife's VDP started separating this weekend. I just hope it doesn't start leaking before I take it off and ship it out.

Thanx for the info guys.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Last edited by Skid Mark; 08-08-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan on sending my mirror in for rebuild to Sybesma's Electronics.

I have a question about the auto on-off headlight feature built into the rear of the mirror.

My car has been updated to hi intensity headlights and they only operate on the auto function setting on the switch.
It would appear as the other switch positions have been disconnected.

The auto off-on function don't seem to work anyway, but not sure if removing the connector from the mirror would change the operation of the headlights.

Thanks to all the great details many of you have done to help the average owner get the help to DIY and save a bunch.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Badkitty
THANKS! Gordo gato coche...you saved me about $500. I was able to remove the mirror and fix the mount that was loose on the back where it attaches to the ball. I just tightened the medal ring but I could not get at it to see what was going on and was afraid to try to remove it myself. Of course the dealer assured me it was broken and wanted to put on a new mirror. Muchas Gracias!!!
Mine's loose too! After you got it off, what did you have to do to tighten it?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I just got my mirror back from Sybesma yesterday. Exactly 1 week from when I sent it out - and $95 lighter

Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

I just got my mirror back from Sybesma yesterday. Exactly 1 week from when I sent it out - and $95 lighter
Yep, got mine today...also exactly one week after sending it off. The refurbished mirror looks great, and it's already installed.

I must say, though, I kind of liked the open feel of the windscreen without a rearview mirror for a few days! Just a few more over-the-shoulder checks to make sure I don't cream somebody. But I suppose rear-view mirrors do have their place, and mine is back in action without the "70's wave machine" look and toxic chemicals.

To all: the Sybesma Electronics mirror refurbish is highly recommended.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just followed this guidance and found it super useful. Thank you. My mirror just popped off as clean as a whistle after proper preparation, including a touch of WD40.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Add another to the list. It failed today, and thanks to this forum, I have the solution within 5 minutes of research.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very helpful DIY...

So this helped me with my mirror also, a question about reinstalling, is there an audible or "tactile" moment when the mirror is all the way home ? how do you know when the mirror is fully in place ?

thanks,

terry

Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by twgin
So this helped me with my mirror also, a question about reinstalling, is there an audible or "tactile" moment when the mirror is all the way home ? how do you know when the mirror is fully in place ? thanks, terry
When reinstalling the mirror, one can feel the metal detent seat itself into the receiving bracket mounting to the inner side of the windshield. . In addition, one can also see that the pedestal base is vertically centered over this bracket.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info ... will contact them to get a new mirror!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Took mine off last night and it has shipped today to get fixed!

However, i noticed a plug in the the header that is not connected to anything and looked it shouldn't be. My question is what is this BLUE ended plug?? Looks like it had 2 wires to it. Is that a RAIN SENSOR wiring???

I will take a pic if anyone doesn't know what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement