XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-On headlights not working - see wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auto-On headlights not working - see wires

I just noticed that while on auto setting, lights do not come on when dark. I also noticed some wire damage behind left headlight, probably from squirrels. Bunch of acorns, some partially eaten stored in that open area. Picture shows wires that have been nibbled on. Zoom in on picture. If this is the issue, can I repair this by separating the wires and wrapping them individually with electrical tape? Lights work fine with manual on-off switch on the stalk. Note: the white cloth like material is a “dryer sheet”. Something you throw in the dryer with your load of wet clothes from the washing machine. I’ve heard these things are distasteful to rodents and keeps them away while the chemicals are still fresh in the dryer sheet. It also takes up space, hopefully discouraging my furry friends from hanging out in that open area.

At one time, I had issues with the headlights (in auto mode) occasionally dropping out for just a second and then coming back on. The issue was diagnosed as a bad sensor in the rearview mirror. The mirror was replaced and the issue solved. That was about 5 yrs ago and 10K miles. So I don’t think it is the sensor in the mirror again.
Any ideas you guys have would be appreciated. I think I’ve read all the other threads that relate to this symptom.

Attached Thumbnails Auto-On headlights not working - see wires-wires-front-left-head-light.jpg  

Last edited by hardmat; 12-10-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

You didnt say if the lights worked in the manual position. If you still experience this issue after repairing the nibbled wiring, it might be worth pulling out the headlamp switch at the column for a look. You will need to remove the steering wheel, but after that it's pretty basic. Before you start, lower and extend the column to make things easier. And I would position the steering wheel at 90 degrees to access the airbag bolts. Disconnect the battery to avoid any surprises. The two screws that secure the upper cover are kind of hidden. I have seen the tiny wires fracture at the solder connection right at the switch. You can replace the switch, of course, for about $450. Or, you can carefully re-solder the wires!

The following users liked this post:
hardmat (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Electrical tape wont get you the airtight seal you want on that little curved wire. Use liquid black tape for a better job. It's available at stores in the electrical section.

I suspect that the wire is not your issue however since the lights receive power at that point via the manual switch. I'd check the connections back at the mirror...

The following users liked this post:
hardmat (12-10-2014)