Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic door locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
jjf
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Automatic door locks

can someone please tell me how to test the automatic door locking actuator (electric motor attached to lock linkage) on the drivers door? The wiring diagram shows 5 conductors, but mine only has 4 wires. I tried to put 12 volts to a couple of the leads but can't get it to work. not sure if it's bad or I'm not testing correctly.

my micro-switches test ok, but drivers door will not lock automatically (this causes remote lock not to work also.)

Thanks for any suggestions... spent hours trying to solve this...

1998 xk8 convt.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagrams for your '98 MY, you should indeed have have five wires - one Yellow, one Slate/Yellow, one Slate/Green and one Slate/Blue. There is also, possibly hidden away, a Black/Pink wire that is connected directly to ground and used only by the lock status switch.

The locks - both driver's and passenger's, 'lock' on the same pulse of 12v supply from the same Door Locking relay when 'lock' is activated. The circuit is completed through the Slate/Yellow wire that is put to ground by the driver's door module.

The door is double locked by the door module putting 12v on the Slate/Blue wire, Slate/Yellow still providing ground.

The door is unlocked by the door module putting 12v on the Slate/Yellow (previously ground!) and grounding Slate/Green, (previously 12v!) through the locking relay, or Slate/Blue through the door module.

The Yellow wire, from the Security and Locking Module, is grounded by the Door Lock Status switch when the door is locked.

The same colour wires are used for both doors, but wired to the door module - driver's or passenger's - appropriate to the door in question, so if the passenger door is behaving, you can use it for comparison purposes!

It would be good if that lot is of some help to you!!!

Last edited by astromorg; 10-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jjf (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM
jjf
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Astromorg,

Thanks for the operating description... troubleshooting these door locks is making me crazy...

Mine has 4 wires: yellow/red, gray/red, gray/green, and black/pink. I know the black/pink is the ground. not sure how the other three correlate to the wiring diagram that shows 5 wires.

I don't like replacing components without confirming they're faulty, but I may start with the actuator since I can't seem to get it to work.

John

Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

There's no doubt that all the Jaguar wiring diagrams, for all model years, show five wires to the lock actuator! That said, to try and make sense of your situation, the Black/Pink is, as we all agree, the ground wire. Next the Yellow/Red; on the 98 and 99MY diagrams, the Yellow wire from the Lock Status switch, connects to a Yellow/Red wire in a 23 wayblack connector at the A Post. So it's possible (?) that's what that wire is for.

The Grey (officially 'Slate')/Green wire should be the supply from the locking relay that pulses 12v when 'Lock' is selected.

That leaves the Grey/Red as the real oddball, but logically it must act as the ground when locking and the supply when unlocking. (Should be Grey/Yellow)

If all that is correct, then the missing wire that should be Grey/Blue that is for deadlocking or double locking. So the question is, did your doors ever double lock, ie require two presses of the key fob? Sounds like they never did! I know X Types don't double lock in the USA, but I don't know about the XKs

The following users liked this post:
jjf (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by astromorg
There's no doubt that all the Jaguar wiring diagrams, for all model years, show five wires to the lock actuator! That said, to try and make sense of your situation, the Black/Pink is, as we all agree, the ground wire. Next the Yellow/Red; on the 98 and 99MY diagrams, the Yellow wire from the Lock Status switch, connects to a Yellow/Red wire in a 23 wayblack connector at the A Post. So it's possible (?) that's what that wire is for.

The Grey (officially 'Slate')/Green wire should be the supply from the locking relay that pulses 12v when 'Lock' is selected.

That leaves the Grey/Red as the real oddball, but logically it must act as the ground when locking and the supply when unlocking. (Should be Grey/Yellow)

If all that is correct, then the missing wire that should be Grey/Blue that is for deadlocking or double locking. So the question is, did your doors ever double lock, ie require two presses of the key fob? Sounds like they never did! I know X Types don't double lock in the USA, but I don't know about the XKs
XKs do not double lock in the USA market either.