XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Backup Alarm

Has anyone installed one of those proximity backup alarms that beep when you get close to an object behind you? If so, what was the experience with the brand you bought, and how difficult was it to install?

I have the OEM system in my 2007 Ford Freestyle, and don't know how I ever got along without it. Would like to have a similar system in my Jag.

Thanks,

Max

Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Not sure if the earlier models had them, but my 2001 has the backup alarm installed by the factory.

Are you sure your doesn't? Look for the little round body colored sensors in the bumper. If you have those, maybe something is just not working.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. As I mentioned, I have an OEM system in my other car, and it has the sensors across the back bumper. The Jag, unforunately, does not. Might be a bit of project to put them in the bumper, paint them the color of the body, and run the wiring up into the passenger compartment, which is why I'm hoping that someone has already gone down that road.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

My 2001 XKR has them as OEM. I had to change one of the sensors as it had failed - it was a real PITA and I wouldn't fancy fitting an aftermarket from scratch,
I have just booked my Kia Sportage into an Indy to have a rear parking sensor kit fitted at a cost of £150 all in.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

I got mine from here:
Amazon.com : XD-066 LED Display Car Reverse Backup Radar with 4 Parking Sensors : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics Amazon.com : XD-066 LED Display Car Reverse Backup Radar with 4 Parking Sensors : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics

I put them on my other car (not the jag - as it has them already) actually I've put them on two of my cars. These products are cheaply made. They work very well however. One of them has worked very well for the past 8 years and still working perfectly. The other lasted a few weeks and had to be replaced with the same unit. The buzzer started to fail.

For any of these the sensors are not the problem. The control unit is usually the source of failure. Cables are typically ok. They are very easy to install. Some people say you should tap into a power source from the trunk area of the XK8 (the control box sits back there close to the bumper mounted sensors).

For the Chevy Aveo I removed the rear bumper facia, drilled the pilot holes and press fit the sensors in (be sure they are rotated in the correct orientation). Routed the wires through the body (the same rubber grommet that feeds the rear lights into the body). Ran them to the control box mounted in the trunk. In my case i tapped the rear lights and backup lights to trigger the sensors. Then I pulled the edge of the carpet up and stuffed the wires in and covered it back up. I custom mounted the display unit into the dash faceplate. So that was rather a laborious project. But, most people just mount it on dash.