XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad alternator

Heard a slight whining for a few days and assumed it was an alternator going bad. Before I could replace it, car died with a dead battery. Found an alternator at O'Reilly Auto Parts($239) and had a local mechanic replace it($195). Only 70k miles,2001my. All is good now, but where is the alternator? I could not see it anywhere, so I assume it is somewhere low down. Also, the part numbers for a Lincoln LS and the Jag were different...is it a mounting bolt difference?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On my 1998 XK8 the alternator is low down on the right side of the front of the engine.
The best way to get at it is after removing the fan shroud and fans. (2 bolts for the shroud and wire connectors for the fans)
There are also some wires and bolts that are easier to get at from the bottom, but the alternator will come out from above once everything is unbolted.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by sgparnes
............. All is good now, but where is the alternator? I could not see it anywhere, so I assume it is somewhere low down................
Not too difficult to access:

Bad alternator-alternator.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Graham

Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

It hides underneath the air box.

It is not necessary to remove the fan shroud, but it is a tight fit. I have small hands and was able to remove and install (twice) by just taking the air box out. You will have to climb under the car to get to the connector with this approach.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I would suggest that you verify that the air dam in in place. It is a scoop to direct air onto the alternator to help with cooling. Often times oil change places may not reinstall it. It could lead to premature failure. It is a plastic piece located near the oil filter. It is referred to in this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-change-70828/

Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

It's just in a bad place for an alternator. Lot's of potential for water and grit to get sucked in.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
It hides underneath the air box.

It is not necessary to remove the fan shroud, but it is a tight fit. I have small hands and was able to remove and install (twice) by just taking the air box out. You will have to climb under the car to get to the connector with this approach.
ive hit a snag Ive got my airbox removed and am wondering how you removed the alternator without taking out the fans I have it totally disconnected but can't find a way to get it out does it come out from the top? If so what all did you move or have to remove or is it just not possible on the XKR? or does it come out the bottom I was thinking if it came out from the bottom that you would have to take off the oil filter but still not sure if that would be enough room? I have an 2001 xkr anyone please feel free to chime in please thanks in advance

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by workoutman0011
ive hit a snag Ive got my airbox removed and am wondering how you removed the alternator without taking out the fans I have it totally disconnected but can't find a way to get it out does it come out from the top? If so what all did you move or have to remove or is it just not possible on the XKR? or does it come out the bottom I was thinking if it came out from the bottom that you would have to take off the oil filter but still not sure if that would be enough room? I have an 2001 xkr anyone please feel free to chime in please thanks in advance
It should come out the top with the airbox out of the way. Once the two bolts are out, the connector is off and it has cleared the holding bracket, pull it towards the front of the car while you rotate it 90 degrees. Then take it straight up and out. It is tight, but should clear everything.

The only trouble I had was the shim that resides inside the top (? I forget, it's been a while) bracket hole moved out just enough to make clearing the bracket a PITA.

Here's a link that might help. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oud-r-i-78238/

Last edited by Jag#4; 10-21-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added link to old thread
Old 10-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

The XKR has the Intercooler Pump located below the Airbox. Could make Alternator access harder.

Oops, Seems that workoutman0011 Had a XKR and was able to remove the Alternator from above.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 10-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
The XKR has the Intercooler Pump located below the Airbox. Could make Alternator access harder.

Oops, Seems that workoutman0011 Had a XKR and was able to remove the Alternator from above.
Good catch Paul. I didn't see we were talking an XKR.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik

I think he is still looking for a hint on how to pull it out according to his last post.

Anyways, it is possible to replace brushes, regulator and diode packs on a Denso alternator on the vehicle should anyone need this in the future. Might beat having to wrassle the thing out.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the alternator out but getting the new one back in is a bit tougher the brackets for the screw holes on the alternator that match up with the holes on the frame are just a hair tighter when I was taking the old one out I had to used a hammer it out to get it out of the screw holes there seems to be almost like a small built in washer on the inside holes of the frame that makes it harder I may have to grind a smigin off the alternator to make it go in easier because its not so easy to hammer it back in

Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

The cheapest and best thing to do for an alternator is have it rebuild at a alternator starter shop.

They often have windings and brushes that will outlast a "PRODUCTION" unit that uses standard, brushes, windings and voltage regulators, and the cost to rebuild half that of a production unit, with a 2 day turn around time..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by workoutman0011
I got the alternator out but getting the new one back in is a bit tougher the brackets for the screw holes on the alternator that match up with the holes on the frame are just a hair tighter when I was taking the old one out I had to used a hammer it out to get it out of the screw holes there seems to be almost like a small built in washer on the inside holes of the frame that makes it harder I may have to grind a smigin off the alternator to make it go in easier because its not so easy to hammer it back in
There is a washer on one side and it must be flush (or even slightly recessed) for the new alternator to go in at all. It should be a tight fit, but rotate the new unit up and down as you push in and it should go on. Mine went back in with just elbow grease, wiggling and some choice R-rated "mechanic" phrases. No hammer required.

Think twice about grinding, you don't want it loose either. Just clean up the surface facing well.