XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been done before but detailed info on removing front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:49 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Been done before but detailed info on removing front bumper cover

So, I bought new overriders as mine were cracked. Thought I'd try documenting in detail how to remove the front bumper cover. Also helpful if you are changing out the front grill.

It should take about 15 to 20 minutes.

You'll need a phillips screw driver (I use a power driver) and an 8mm socket or box wrench, and a small end flat screw driver (to remove the gas strut clips). It helps if that 8mm socket has an extender at least 3 inches long and a universal joint which makes it easier to reach the bolts. It was also helpful to have a pair of 3ft bungee cords to hold the bumper whilst removing the screws.

There are a few fasteners to replace in the process 1 Push Fastener (5 if you are replacing the overriders like i did) and a few plastic Drive type rivets if you ruin them (they attach the inner liner). I also replaced 3 of the 11 black trim screws holding the lower cover.

You'll also need to remove the front wheels and lift the front end up a bit for access to the screws. BTW, the socket for the lug nuts on my car requires a 7/8 inch socket. The Vehicle Care manual states a torque value of 65-75ft/lb (88-102Nm).

1. Jack car up and remove front wheels
2. Remove the 11 phillips screws attaching the lower cover (item 8)
3. Pop off the 4 Drive type rivets (2 per side) on the bottom of the fender liner and the 2 Drive type rivets (1 per side) on the upper part of the fender liner. You don't have to remove the entire liner as it is very flexible. you can remove the access doors if you want. But, it's not necessary.
4. Pull the fog lamp connectors down to remove them.
5. Twist a quarter turn to remove the bulb and socket from the side markers. You can leave the connector on. (I removed the side markers - they pop out by way of metal tabs on the front and back. This allowed me to use the bungee cord to hold the bumper cover in place).
6. Open the engine hood into the service position. You want to do this to access the top bolts holding the bumper cover on. Have another person to hold the hood up as you remove the metal clips at the top of the gas struts. The hood can fall down if it's not held up! Now, you can place large screw drivers or large bolts through the safety holes.
7. Of the 7 fasteners on the top the middle one is a plastic Push Fastener. I removed this first (and replaced it with a new one later on). You'll need to pry it up with a special tool or use a pair of flat screw drivers to pry it up and off. It may be ruined in the process so you might even cut it off with a wire cutter.
8. Once you have the center push fastener off you can remove the 6 remaining bolts holding the cover on. Remember that I have the bungee cords holding the bumper cover up so it won't fall and scratch. Be careful when removing these bolts (8mm socket tool). I put a piece of stiff paper between the tool and the upright engine hood to prevent scratching it. The bumper cover should now come off easily.
9. If removing the overriders, pry up the 4 push fasteners on the tabs (2 per overrider) and discard.

Reverse the procedure to complete the repairs.

It will probably take 15 minutes to do all of this (it took me an hour with my disability).

No need to remove metal retaining clip - twist a quarter turn to remove the bulb with socket.

Side marker pops off easily by squeezing the metal tabs

Location of the three bolts holding the bumper cover on. Also, using the bungee cords to hold the bumper cover from falling.

You don't have to totally remove the inner liner. It is flexible enough to allow access to the three bolts.

A universal joint and extension for the 8mm socket really helps.

You'll want to get a few of these or several if you are replacing the overriders.

These keep the inner liner attached. pn/963-208

The following 4 users liked this post by cyber3d:
clyons (12-14-2015), hobo (07-27-2020), MRomanik (12-14-2015), sklimii (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh, and these are the screws that attach the bumper cover from underneath. 11 total.

The following 6 users liked this post by cyber3d:
B o B (12-15-2015), DandyAndy (12-15-2015), hobo (08-16-2020), MRomanik (12-14-2015), St. Stephen (11-12-2021), Tha Driver (08-07-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)