XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for XK8? Aftermarket Company for Jags in general?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorJag
My XKR came fitted with a Milltek stainless sport exhaust that was factory fitted as an optional extra. They sell after market: Jaguar XK8 performance exhaust systems

Here is a film of my XKR with a short and careful rev that gives a good indication of the sound. Cold morning and apparently some condensation built up over the winter :-)

Attachment 128428
I can't seem to be able to open it, any chance you can upload it to youtube and send me the link please?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

OK Here is the same file uploaded to youtube.com:

I read in the other post that you are not a fan of the "burble"... not sure this will be any better :-)

The following users liked this post:
kingcobra (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I'm afraid all shorty header/dual exhaust V8's are going to burble, unless they have a flat crank, like a GT350 - and it still burbles.

The Pinnacle of exhaust for an XK8 Would be a Macleod Performance 2.5" system.

It has an X-pipe replacing the 2in/2out Box and under axle pipes and is a work of art.

Best flow, best sound possible with what there is to work with.

He is in San Diego.

kingcobra (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:45 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I too am very interested. My new 2005 xkr is whisper quite!! But I'm very reluctant to touch anything based on all these YouTube videos I'm seeing.

I think what most people are after is a sound closer to the newer XK's and F-Type V8's. The engine is essentially the same, so the same sound can be had in theory. But I haven't heard any XK8 that sounds close. Most end up with an old school muscle car sound, lots of burble.. It's nice, but very common and not exotic sounding.

kingcobra (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey King--welcome to the club!

There are not many "performance" upgrades for these cars, at least not in a bang-for-the-buck sense. There are less restrictive cats/downpipes but these are pricey for what gains you might get. Similarly there are fancy exhaust systems that will get you more noise but little else.

Doug

kingcobra (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
I think what most people are after is a sound closer to the newer XK's and F-Type V8's. The engine is essentially the same, so the same sound can be had in theory. But I haven't heard any XK8 that sounds close. Most end up with an old school muscle car sound, lots of burble.. It's nice, but very common and not exotic sounding.
The F-type exhaust is "active" with computer controlled actuators to change the flow path based on load and RPM and it looks like Jaguar spent $10's of Millions of dollars on tuning the sound... for sounds sake (see the cutaway at the link)

Some of this could be duplicated, but its "Ricer" style-over-substance that I have always despised.

With Buick Grand National owners, the 14 second car show "posers" would sing the praises of Flowmasters for the sound. My 100% stock appearing, Ultraflow equipped T-type ran 11.50's on radials but sounded like a UPS truck doing it. The car show guys feared my car.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Get the muffler delete from Mina Gallery. If that isn't loud enough for you. Remove the two rear resonators by the rear...And if you don't like the way that sounds remove the center resonator and replace it with a dynomax ultraflow two in two out....That's exactly what I have now and it sounds great@! And not all that expensive mind you
Hey buddy, you have a sound clip of your set up? I went with Mina full cat back, the sound is much better but I am thinking of removing the center resonant to make it a bit louder...how loud does the dynomax gets?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Jaguar XKR Final Edition 2006 with Milltek Sport Exhaust - YouTube

I read in the other post that you are not a fan of the "burble"... not sure this will be any better :-)
What wheels are those?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM
hm1

[QUOTE=Ungn;1447372]The F-type exhaust is "active" with computer controlled actuators to change the flow path based on load and RPM and it looks like Jaguar spent $10's of Millions of dollars on tuning the sound... for sounds sake (see the cutaway at the link)

I'd say the noise is even more important than total performance. I don't race my xkr.. But even if I did, it would probably get destroyed by most new cars(have u seen the new bmw 340i?). 400hp is good, but not if its carrying 4,000lbs around.

So, I'm looking for something a little more fun sounding while I drive around in 'slow mode'.

I know that removing the rear mufflers will improve sound---but not enough. That's where aftermarket mufflers come in. A Borla or Flowmaster muffler will actually completely 'change' the sound of the car. With soooo many options available, it's just a matter of finding the sweetest sounding muffler for our engines.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by zidjan
What wheels are those?
BBS Perseus 20 inch. They were standard on Final Edition XKR´s or optional extras on previous models.

The following 2 users liked this post by NorJag:
kingcobra (04-23-2016), zidjan (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 AM

Jaguar XKR Final Edition 2006 with Milltek Sport Exhaust - YouTube

Thanks for posting it NorJag, always good to hear more option

As some others have said, I'm also looking for a European exotic sound instead of a muscle car sound, I think the Jag being British I expect it to sound european, specially here in the US. I wouldn't want it to sound like every mustang driving by.

My goal isn't necessarily to increase power but that's always a nice bonus and usually means the system was well thought out and built. My main goal is to actually hear the car revving when I'm cruising or canyon carving with the top down That makes a huge difference in a convertible, which is all the more surprising why its so quiet....

Also, if you guys want to help contribute to the comprehensive list of exhaust options in the other thread I created, that would really help!

By the way, the custom exhaust from the guy in San Diego seems like a great option

Old 04-23-2016, 02:54 AM

BBS Perseus 20 inch. They were standard on Final Edition XKR´s or optional extras on previous models.

Those are some nice wheels!! Want to trade with my stock chrome ones lol

Old 04-23-2016, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by kingcobra
Those are some nice wheels!! Want to trade with my stock chrome ones lol
Thanks for the offer :-) Think I´ll stick with mine (ha ha). When I bought the car two years ago, the wheels had curb rash and were out of true. Vibrated at 100km/h. Had them all re-trued and refurbished. I guess they are pretty light and easily damaged.

As for the exhaust (Milltek). Jaguar (Norway) explained to me that the Milltek exhaust was sold as an optional extra and factory fitted. There is no burble at cruising speed (Motor sits on 1,500 rpm at 90km/h). Put your foot down and you get a whine from the super charger and obviously the burble etc.

kingcobra (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the offer :-) Think I´ll stick with mine (ha ha). When I bought the car two years ago, the wheels had curb rash and were out of true. Vibrated at 100km/h. Had them all re-trued and refurbished. I guess they are pretty light and easily damaged.

As for the exhaust (Milltek). Jaguar (Norway) explained to me that the Milltek exhaust was sold as an optional extra and factory fitted. There is no burble at cruising speed (Motor sits on 1,500 rpm at 90km/h). Put your foot down and you get a whine from the super charger and obviously the burble etc.
Interesting, do you know any sites (preferably US) that carry that exhaust system? Wondering how much they cost nowadays

Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Old 04-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
Hey buddy, you have a sound clip of your set up? I went with Mina full cat back, the sound is much better but I am thinking of removing the center resonant to make it a bit louder...how loud does the dynomax gets?

Well I kind of threw a rod bearing so I may not be able too. I can tell you Ive used this resonator on several cars. It will smooth the sound out. Im literally just running that now with factory cats. If I can get a clip before I completely tear it apart I will

zidjan (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:13 PM
hm1

I think you mean dealer fitted, not factory fitted--- big difference

Old 04-24-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by hm1
I think you mean dealer fitted, not factory fitted--- big difference
The car was delivered to the dealer in Norway fitted with the Milltek exhaust. Who installed it in England? Don´t know :-)

Old 04-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Here is my custom exhaust: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-40s-37811/

Too much burble and probably too loud for your tastes, but I enjoy it.
What I would recommend is finding a good exhaust shop and go custom, as far as muffler, check out some 4.6L equipped Mustang videos and find a muffler that you like and then see about a shop putting together a system for you. Those old school pipe benders can really work some magic and you even save a few $$ in the process, plus have a unique exhaust of your own.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi KingCobra,
What did you decide to do for the muffler delete sound. I'm looking to get some sound for my xkr.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for XK8? Aftermarket Company for Jags in general?