Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bizarre '06 XKR (non-)starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bizarre '06 XKR (non-)starting issue

Hi

I have a 2006 XKR which has, until now, been pretty reliable. This evening that all changed. I put the key into the ignition and turned it as usual. When I got to the ignition on position no lights came on - only the odometer. When I turned it to start the dashboard turn signal repeaters and the high beam indicator come on but nothing else happens.

- I had the battery checked and it is fully charged (also fairly new)
- I tried disconnecting the battery and waiting 30 seconds. (I did not connected the negative to the positive lead to discharge any temporary stored values but will try that in the morning.
- I checked a few key fuses and they all were good. Again I will work through other fuses tomorrow.
- Nothing has changed on the car.
- The only non-standard device is the Clifford Matrix alarm which was installed 4 years ago.
- The only change made recently was that I installed the front plate in order to pass a fix-it ticket. That is held on with zip ties so only serves to block airflow to the radiator. But it just wasn't that ho today.

Any thought / help greatly appreciated

Nick

Old 07-01-2014, 03:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

The ignition key has an embedded programmed chip in the plastic head which 'handshakes' with the Key Transponder Coil (a.k.a. Exciter Ring) surrounding the ignition lock barrel to allow the vehicle to be started. These used to be a problem on XJ40's but I can't recall reports of the XK8/XKR equivalent being an issue.

Do you have another key - either blacked headed master or green headed valet - you can try to eliminate a problem with the programmed key chip?

Locking/unlocking with the remote fob again will also ensure the security system is disarmed.

Graham

Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I wonder if your Clifford alarm was installed using 'Scotchlock' taps. They have a nasty habit of weakening the wires and causing them to break or causing intermittent connections.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried another key and had the same result. I will plug my OBD II reader in later on today and see if that shows anything. I will also try disconnecting the battery (nagative) and connecting it to the positive for 30 seconds in order to discharge and reset the entire computer system. We tried disconnecting and waiting for 30 seconds last night but I had forgotten about the shorting the positive and negative of the car (NOT THE BATTERY LOL).

As for how the Clifford was installed - I'm not sure and haven't dug around yet. That is definitely worth a closer look since it includes an immobilizer.

Further thoughts welcome of course - thanks again ...

--- Update ---

Checked all relevant fuses, tried disconnecting the battery and discharging all internal systems (connect negative and positive leads from the car together for 30 seconds). Still exactly the same behavior.

I did notice a beep pattern when I tried to start it - high-low beeps repeated 3 times after I released the key. Is that significant anyone?

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by baxkr; 07-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.