Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black & Tan Door Card

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts
Default Black & Tan Door Card

Ok, ok, I know that this will be polarizing and 50% of people will like it and 50% will hate it, but that's part of the fun.

I've got a cashmere interior which, which, after 80k miles and a good bit of neglect from the previous owner, is looking a little shabby, so I've been thinking about things I could do with it. The car is black on the outside and tan on the inside so I've settled on continuing the black and tan theme inside.

I freely admit that this took WAY more time and effort than it was worth but this is my idea of a relaxing weekend, so who cares.

The door caps are done with a 3M carbon fiber wrap and the inserts with black Passion Suede. Thought about re-doing the speaker in black, but the wife said the alternating black, tan, black, tan, black would be a little too Holstein.

I am not completely sure about the door handle surround, I may yet change it to black. I have some ideas for the dash top to blend it in with the door caps. Don't worry purists, whatever I end up doing, the wood dash face will still be there, that's part of it being a Jaguar.

Before:
Black & Tan Door Card-before.jpg

After:
Black & Tan Door Card-after1.jpg

Black & Tan Door Card-after2.jpg

Last edited by ccfulton; 08-21-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Corrected the brand name of the material
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

So far so good. You could also do the seat inserts. You may want to paint the door handle surround black as well.

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
So far so good. You could also do the seat inserts. You may want to paint the door handle surround black as well.
Exactly what I was thinking, a black ultrasuede insert. The drivers bolster is in bad shape and has been repaired before, so the seats need a recover anyway.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Damn that looks good. Did something similar on my old Rover 3500 but what you have started looks awesome. Looking foward to the finished product.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Doug

ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Looks great!
Any chance you can wrap the entire dash top in carbon to keep,an un broken line feom door to,door?
And I agree on the speakers. Did mine too. But my interior is black on black. Haven't soon rear speakers het. Soooo hard to get out.
You're a lucky guy! I tend to get beat up with mods!

Last edited by philhef; 08-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.
ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Not bad...I do think you should go ahead and do the door handle piece.

Hard to see the sheens and textures in the photos (at least for me)...not sure how I would feel about the door caps being in a carbon-fiber look, and the door inserts just below it being the same color but a different visual texture.

I agree with the others, seat inserts are next. Just don't go too far with it and you'll have a nice look. The folks who get into trouble with this kind of stuff just don't know when to stop.

ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Looks great!
Any chance you can wrap the entire dash top in carbon to keep,an un broken line feom door to,door?
And I agree on the speakers. Did mine too. But my interior is black on black. Haven't soon rear speakers het. Soooo hard to get out.
I am going to try doing the dash top in the carbon wrap. I've done some experimenting and one flat sheet won't conform to the compound curve where the dash top turns down around the side vent to meet the door so I will have to use multiple pieces.

I think I can line up the pattern though, which should disguise it except for the most diligent observer. We'll see what it ends up looking like.

Originally Posted by philhef
You're a Lucy guy! I tend to get beat up with mods!
Your car looks great and gets plenty of compliments. It's like avant-garde art, meant to be experimental and perhaps mildly offensive to the mainstream.
And don't try to claim you aren't poking the bear for the fun of it, we all know better.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Not bad...I do think you should go ahead and do the door handle piece.

Hard to see the sheens and textures in the photos (at least for me)...not sure how I would feel about the door caps being in a carbon-fiber look, and the door inserts just below it being the same color but a different visual texture.

I agree with the others, seat inserts are next. Just don't go too far with it and you'll have a nice look. The folks who get into trouble with this kind of stuff just don't know when to stop.
Probably will do the door handle when I do the vents for the dash. There is a little piece behind the chrome handle is separate from the rest of the surround, but I couldn't reason how it comes off. Does anyone know the trick?

The textures were a little of a concern to me as well but I think it will work once I have the continuation across the dash and onto the other door. Then there is a sort of layered effect where the textures are consistent and different eye levels.

The other options were carbon on the door insert (too hard) or ultrasuede all the way across the dash top (too ghetto).

As for how far this goes:
Dash top in carbon if I can make it look good. If I can't, then the door needs done again too since my OCD can't accept a different texture/pattern on the door than the dash top.

And the seat inserts and the rear package tray in ultrasuede.

That's as far as I want to take it with the interior.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I am going to try doing the dash top in the carbon wrap. I've done some experimenting and one flat sheet won't conform to the compound curve where the dash top turns down around the side vent to meet the door so I will have to use multiple pieces.

I think I can line up the pattern though, which should disguise it except for the most diligent observer. We'll see what it ends up looking like.

Your car looks great and gets plenty of compliments. It's like avant-garde art, meant to be experimental and perhaps mildly offensive to the mainstream.
And don't try to claim you aren't poking the bear for the fun of it, we all know better.
Hehe! First, I meant lucky guy!
Second, poking the bears is one thing, having them rip your head off is another.
But I guess that's the chance I take!!
I like the two tone look you're going for, especially in a black car. IMO, what ever is the darker tone of the dash should go black. Especially the speakers if you find an easy way to do the rear ones, let me know.
I'm doing the seats as well in suede. Just the inserts. Have to replace the drivers side bolster anyway.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello CCfulton, yes I can help with the handle surround.

There is a small plastic plug behind the chrome handle that needs to come out with a very thin puller and right behind the plug is a screw unscrew and viola! the surround comes out.
Be careful not to scratch the plastic plug there is a very small indent (towards front of car)on the right side of where the plug and the surround piece meet, that is where to put your hook to remove the plug and when it goes back in look at the angle of the plug. You might have to make your own tool with a grinder (thin and flat but strong).
Good luck your car is looking quite handsome.

Happy Motoring...

ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Charlie - that looks good! I've actually been looking at doing something similar to mine but using the burl walnut for the same areas you used the black.

ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Much nicer. Old was very bland and pastel, I much prefer the high-contrast version. Looks like the later models.

ccfulton (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
Much nicer. Old was very bland and pastel, I much prefer the high-contrast version. Looks like the later models.
Credit where credit is due, the black door cap, light door in your car was what got me thinking about doing this.

Frog (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vettegood
Hello CCfulton, yes I can help with the handle surround.

There is a small plastic plug behind the chrome handle that needs to come out with a very thin puller and right behind the plug is a screw unscrew and viola! the surround comes out.
Be careful not to scratch the plastic plug there is a very small indent (towards front of car)on the right side of where the plug and the surround piece meet, that is where to put your hook to remove the plug and when it goes back in look at the angle of the plug. You might have to make your own tool with a grinder (thin and flat but strong).
Good luck your car is looking quite handsome.

Happy Motoring...

What you might try is to find one of those dental picks for things like this. In the office building where I work there are a bunch of dentists and I was able to find one who had an extra pick--the ideal tool for pulling out the little plug.

Doug

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I was going to say check out jagtheripper's photo album. It's the light interior with the charcoal dash and door caps.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Charlie--I am not a huge fan of carbon fiber but the way you used it looks tasteful. How do you work with that stuff? Does it come in sheets that you need to cover with some acrylic or does it already come coated?

Doug

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Credit where credit is due, the black door cap, light door in your car was what got me thinking about doing this.
Thanks. I was going to suggest you do the speaker covers, but your wife has a point. Can't decide now. Here's a reminder of what mine look like:

I sprayed mine mat black again, as they were a bit scuffed when I bought the car. A very quick & easy job

Attached Thumbnails Black & Tan Door Card-door_card.jpg  
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
Thanks. I was going to suggest you do the speaker covers, but your wife has a point. Can't decide now. Here's a reminder of what mine look like:

I sprayed mine mat black again, as they were a bit scuffed when I bought the car. A very quick & easy job
What did you end up spraying them with?

I will need something for the handle surround and speakers in the dash and was not sure which paint would work best on the plastics.

May also end up needing a fall back plan if the wrap on the dash top doesn't pan out.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

What did you end up spraying them with?

I will need something for the handle surround and speakers in the dash and was not sure which paint would work best on the plastics.

May also end up needing a fall back plan if the wrap on the dash top doesn't pan out.
If I recall, I just used standard mat black model spray, zero preparation (apart from removing the speaker grill from the door, obviously), I just sprayed... It didn't change the colour at all, just tidied up the appearance, like black boot polish on a pair of old boots. If you spray plastic, you need a special plastic primer first. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it, because the handles will come under attack from finger nails and the paint will end up coming off... Can't you wrap them in CF?

Last edited by Frog; 08-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Black & Tan Door Card