XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bluetooth add

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts
Default bluetooth add

I have been reading all the bluetooth links I can find and going over the wiring diagrams, and trying to find the mute line on any and all connections I can find. It seems that the 10 pin connector under the armrest goes back to the phone module. But if there is no phone module back there, you need to play with the two connectors sitting there. Based upon the wiring diagrams I tried to ground the correct pin in the connector leading to the head unit, but nothing happened. I tried 3 other lines which should have beeen good candidates and nothing. I am suspecting that without the phone module, the system is not configured to respond to signals on those lines.

Anyone have any information on this?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Well, John told me I had to set the radio preset to enable the mute function. I can pick off all the wires from the 10 pin connector under the armrest if I make my own connector in lieu of the telephone module. There are two connectors that go into the telephone module and I can get connectors and make my own harness to provide the feeds I need.
white/black this is mute- blue is speaker + & blue/yellow is speaker - (thanks, John)
I had it wrong from reading an xjr install.

Last edited by stevepaa; 04-22-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Anyone else interested in a bypass harness for the trunk and a connector for the armrest connector?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

glad you found your mute leads! What, you now have leftover parts?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM

After reviewing the wiring diagrams from 1997 to 2003, I have found that the year 2000 was the only year that a connector in the center console will not do what the write-ups mention.
http://p4-8057.uk2net.com/jag/default.htm

From 1997-2004, except for 2000, Jaguar put a connector in the center console that provided all the power and signal lines you need to connect a blue tooth device. This was done so the telephone transceiver itself would connect up to it using its telephone harness.

In 2000 Jaguar decided to put the transceiver, now called a PSE telephone module, in the trunk. So there are two connectors back there for the module. There is still the connector in the center console (10 white) and it looks just like the ones in other years (either 14 slate, 10 yellow, 14 yellow, or 18 yellow) but it does not function the same. The functions previously found in the center console connector are at one of the connectors in the trunk. I can move those functions to the center console connector by making a harness that connects the two trunk connectors.

Tyco is sending me the connectors I need, and I will order the pins online.

I am also going to order some connectors to mate to the center connectors, and pins to make a pigtail connector.

I need some picures of the connectors from various years to find the correct mates. If any of you can find the time to remove your cubby boxes from the center armrest and find your proper connector and take a picture of it, I would sure appreciate it.

When I have this sorted out, I'll see if anyone wants a connector to use without cutting up the wires in the Jag.

Last edited by stevepaa; 04-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

update: aftert thinking about it, I am going to move the two connectors from the trunk to the center console and pick off the lines I need. And cut out the rest.

Puttting the telephone transceiver in the trunk was a bad decsion by Jag as the telephone was inop with a litttle rear end collision.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

When you are done, anyway of making this a step by step simple process for the rest of us.

It would be great to do this leveraging your hard work

Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Bluetooth instructions

I captured a set of step-by-step instructions for Motorola T605 install in .pdf format. They were from a post some time ago on this forum but I can't find it using 'search' for a link this morning. Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward to you.

I bought a new-in-an-opened-box T605 for $19.95 on ebay and it is on my list of things to do.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Stevepaa: Although I hope I'm wrong, I don't think its that straight forward.

I've just recently started looking into how to integrate bluetooth in my own car (2000 XKR). I also found that same PDF describing how to install a T605 into an XJ308. After looking under the armrest, I also discovered my phone wiring actually goes out to the trunk.

Unfortunately my JTIS's wiring diagrams for my car/year don't label which wire does what on the trunk connectors, however looking at the wiring diagrams for other years/models, I figured out pin 5 (wire color White with Black stripe)on RTS5 (the biggest connector of the 2 for the module in the trunk) should be the mute.

According to the PDF, Just grounding this *should* mute the radio, but it doesn't, at least on my car. The radio carries on playing as if nothing has happened. I have already ensured the mute mode is enabled in the radio settings (its one of the options you get to on the radio by holding eject and FM/AM buttons down simultaneously)

Can anyone else confirm here whether they got the phone mute signal to mute the radio just by grounding it, even without the 'proper' phone module installed?

I noticed if I push the phone button on the radio it says 'no phone'. I figured out that there's also a digital bus on the connectors going to the phone module which has an "are you there" kind of message to identify what equipment is installed. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the radio is smart enough to be ignoring the mute signal because it knows there isnt a phone module installed in the trunk. I guess one solution might be to buy an old trunk module just so the radio can talk to it on the digital lines and think it has a phone, but divert just the mute and audio wires from it for my own purposes.

Thanks guys, any advice welcome.

Last edited by JustNiz; 06-28-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Default I think this is it

After a bit more research I now believe the trunk module part number is LJC7301AA.

They seem rare and somewhat pricey though, even used, so before I buy one, I'd really appreciate if someone could confirm that
one of these is actually required (just to make the radio think a phone exists) before the phone mute (and phone audio) inputs to the radio will have any effect.

Last edited by JustNiz; 06-29-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 AM

I jumped wires between the two connectors in the trunk and sent the signals to the center console connector and have it working fine now.

RT5-5 should be mute, and it did mute just by grounding it. But be sure you have a ground. Use a wire from battery negative to ground it.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

keep going guys, enjoying reading your progress and learning as I go.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I jumped wires between the two connectors in the trunk and sent the signals to the center console connector and have it working fine now.

RT5-5 should be mute, and it did mute just by grounding it. But be sure you have a ground. Use a wire from battery negative to ground it.
Actually I did go right from the battery negative. I wonder why mine doesnt mute? Stevepaa please can you confirm what model/year car you have? Do you get a "No Phone" message when you push the phone button on your radio?

Now I'm lost what to do next. The only thing I can think of is maybe my trunk wiring is damaged or unplugged somewhere. I guess I'll check the continuity of the mute wire from the trunk connector to the connector at the back of the radio tonight. Dammit I was hoping to avoid having to pull the console apart yet again.
------------------------------------
UPDATE!!!!: Got back from work and checked the continuity of the mute wire all the way from the trunk to the plug in the back of the radio and it was fine. After testing I refitted the plug and guess what, NOW THE MUTE SIGNAL WORKS!!!! I didn't change anything so my only guess is that the plug on the back of the radio must have had a dirty connection which got fixed by removing/refitting the plug. The radio has been working fine otherwise so I guess it was only a bad connection of the mute pin!

Totally wierd but I'm very happy as I'm confident I can now buy and wire in a bluetooth module! probably gonna go for a Motorola TK30...

Thanks again to Stevepaa for your help!

Last edited by JustNiz; 06-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM

I can send you the jumping diagram to get the signals you need to the center console connector and I can give you a connector that mates to the center console with pigtails, rather than cutting wires. give me your email.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I can send you the jumping diagram to get the signals you need to the center console connector and I can give you a connector that mates to the center console with pigtails, rather than cutting wires. give me your email.
PM Sent! Thanks Steve

Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
... Totally wierd but I'm very happy as I'm confident I can now buy and wire in a bluetooth module! probably gonna go for a Motorola TK30...
From other threads I have read on this which are more XJR specific, isn't the bluetooth going to work only on the front speakers? If that is the case, I would think the TK30 would be overkill as you wouldn't want to use it for the audio portion when wired through the phone plug in the center console.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on this, but I'm getting ready to do this on my XJR and the audio systems are bascially the same, so I am also looking for the best bluetooth adaptor for the application. I'm leaning towards the Motorola T605 simply because it is more suited to straight phone support.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Default Here's how

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
From other threads I have read on this which are more XJR specific, isn't the bluetooth going to work only on the front speakers? If that is the case, I would think the TK30 would be overkill as you wouldn't want to use it for the audio portion when wired through the phone plug in the center console.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on this, but I'm getting ready to do this on my XJR and the audio systems are bascially the same, so I am also looking for the best bluetooth adaptor for the application. I'm leaning towards the Motorola T605 simply because it is more suited to straight phone support.
I think it would if I was planning on wiring it so that the music also goes through the phone audio on the console phone connector, but I'm not. That approach would result in a low quality music signal that would also only be mono. Also you would also have to figure out how to drive the mute signal when streaming audio as I believe that the T605 doesn't activate the mute when streaming audio (so the phone audio line would be dead ).

I can't find any detailed info about the TK30 pinouts on the net, but from what I found it appears that as well as speaker-level audio it also has line-level L&R outputs for streaming music that are separate from the line-level phone out (just like the T605 has). I'm still planning on wiring the phone line-level output and mute via the centre console phone connector, but I'm also planning on hacking the streaming music L&R signals into the ai-net cable from the CD changer.

That way bluetooth streaming music would also use the premium audio amp and all the speakers in the car. Another benefit is that the TK30 can still use the mute to interrupt bluetooth streaming music if a phone call comes in. To listen to streaming audio I'd have select the CD on the head unit but thats no problem really.

I'm guessing the TK30 has an AUX input (like the T605 does), in which case I'm going to try routing the audio signal from the CD changer in to that (as I'm now using the audio to the head unit for the TK30 streaming audio). If no AUX in is available on the TK30, or it doesn't do a good job of switching between inputs nicely, I will route both the TK30 and the CD changer outputs via a DPDT relay that switches between the two for the AI-net audio going to the head unit.

Before I found out about the Motorola Bluetooth units I had already ordered some parts to make a homebrew AI-net switcher, so I already have one of these coming:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1034
It can detect the presence of low-level audio signals and drive a relay, so if I go with the relay approach, I can use it to automatically switch the audio from the CD changer to the TK30 when it detects audio on the TK30 outputs.

From what I read, I think the phone mic background noise suppression on the TK30 is likely to be much better than on the T605. This is also a consideration as I drive with the roof down quite a lot. I don't know how practical it is to use hands-free in a convertible anyway, but I can't wait to find out!

Regards,
Neil.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-01-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Default TK30 availability

It seems nobody in the US has received any TK30's from Motorola yet. One dealer mentioned the earliest expected date was mid-August. Apparently they are already available/in stock in the UK though. I found a supplier on on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260592661192

I emailed him before ordering and he swore he has them on the shelf, so I ordered one yesterday. I phoned him this morning and confirmed its shipping today. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Also heard directly from Stevepaa that he's sending me the plug for the console. Thanks again Steve, its really good of you and will be a great help. Will donate to charity as you requested.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-07-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The UK is release is what I was seeing also. I will live with my headset for a bit longer and wait for it's US debut. There will be some price competition at then so I won't have to pay to be an early adopter. The specs do look to be impressive, as I hadn't seen that it did have the separate audio channel.

Quick Reply: bluetooth add