XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth for Dummies

There are a number of elegant and involved options detailed on this forum for upgrading the nav and sound system on our older Jaguars. Most are beyond my competence or patience.
I own a 2002 XKR convertible with a stock Alpine sound system and I was looking for a way to play Pandora via Bluetooth from my I -Phone 4S through the stock radio.
After many Google searches I came across the Satechi (satechi.net) Model B006GHBVGI Soundfly View Bluetooth FM Transmitter with 2.0 inch Screen, WMA/MP3 Player for an SD Card and a USB port.
I have tried FM transmitters in the past in other vehicles with mixed results. However, since technology continually improves I decided to try an FM transmitter again. Bottom line – I am very pleased with the results, good sound quality and no radio station interference. (I removed the power antenna motor fuse to disable the antenna and reduce the interference from over the air stations).
The Sound Fly is delivered with a male connector on the end of a tall stalk for power from a standard cigarette lighter socket. In the 2002 KXR the cigarette lighter is in the middle of the console, so that location would not work esthetically.
There is a small hinged storage compartment to the left and below the steering column. By removing the male connector from the Soundfly and drilling a small hole in the bottom of that storage compartment I could pass the stalk of the unit through the hole and slide it into the drawer. It fits perfectly and you can still close the compartment lid. The unit works with the door closed. See photos.
Power was picked up from the Fascia fuse box on the drivers side via a simple fuse tap. I selected fuse slot number 6 since it is powered when the ignition is off. See photo. From there it is a simple matter of connecting the Soundfry leads to the fuse tap and ground.
Recall that my car is a convertible with higher ambient noise level in the passenger compartment that may mask small problems. This may not be the right solution for an audiophile in a coupe.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth for Dummies-photo.jpg   Bluetooth for Dummies-photo-1.jpg   Bluetooth for Dummies-photo-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DaveC (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't really mind plugging it into the cigar lighter. If you do is the display upside down or does it rotate? BTW, nice simple solution if you are not an audiophile. I'm replacing the rear speakers this weekend with a pair of 6.5" Kickers to eliminate the typical old speaker buzz.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The head does rotate to a comfortable viewing position.

The following users liked this post:
DaveC (08-01-2013)