XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot problem

Any advice as to why my 2001 XKR boot will not stay closed. Started about a week ago. While driving the boot will unlock. Now even parked when I shut it, it just pops open again.

Is it a switch or maybe a sensor?

thanks

Gary

Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I would first try lubricating the lock mechanism with some dry silicone spray and open/close it a few times to cycle it. It is possible that the mechanism isn't fully engaging when the boot is closed. Have you recently open the boot using the key. That mechanism may also be sticky and not allowing the mechanism to full engage I would lube and cycle it also.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Gary,

I'm not sure from your description exactly what is happening.

Boot problem-boot.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Is the Latch (item 1) failing to engage properly or is the Actuator (item 3) randomly operating the Latch and opening the lid?

Graham

Old 12-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

This happened to me a few days ago, it turned out to be the glow-in-the-dark Emergency Trunk Release Handle, item #16 on Graham's chart. The cable had been 'snagged' when I re-attached the side carpet around the CD stack, and tucked the edges of the carpet back behind the trim, I failed to notice the 'groove' or 'notch' in the trim panel allowing for the cable and handle to not become bound when closing the trunk.

The next time I tried to close the trunk it would not stay closed, and when I managed to get it to latch, it would no longer budge by switch, or key, until I pushed down on the trunk lid to get it open with the key. I found the bound cable and handle, and re-routed the handle properly and have had no further problems with the trunk popping open, or once getting it latched, not being able to open it back up.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 12-11-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

yep, second that on the glow in dark emergency release, handle getting pulled! Make sure that cable has some slack. it gets caught up sometimes.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Gotta love this forum - I never even knew there was a glow in dark emergency release handle. Never noticed it in my 2001 XKR. Must go look when it's out of winter storage.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
Gotta love this forum - I never even knew there was a glow in dark emergency release handle. Never noticed it in my 2001 XKR. Must go look when it's out of winter storage.
Betcha a pint, its trapped behind the boot side liner. Side where cd changer is.
The thing gets jammed in there, every time that liner is taken out and reinstalled. Yet another weird Jag quirk design that got passed the committee. Why not just have it in someplace obvious like NEXT too the boot latch, so it actually usable in emergency? Guess none of the design team ever had a BMW.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julian Black
Betcha a pint, its trapped behind the boot side liner. Side where cd changer is.
The thing gets jammed in there, every time that liner is taken out and reinstalled. Yet another weird Jag quirk design that got passed the committee. Why not just have it in someplace obvious like NEXT too the boot latch, so it actually usable in emergency? Guess none of the design team ever had a BMW.
After I properly routed the Emergency Release Cable behind the Trunk Liner Carpet and Hard Plastic Trim, the glow-in-the-dark Release Handle made it's own way into a 'recess' in the carpet, and a 'strip cut-out' in the Hard Plastic Trim by itself and 'folded' flat against the carpet recess, both out of the way and visible.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 12-18-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
After I properly routed the Emergency Release Cable behind the Trunk Liner Carpet and Hard Plastic Trim, the glow-in-the-dark Release Handle made it's own way into a 'recess' in the carpet, and a 'strip cut-out' in the Hard Plastic Trim by itself and 'folded' flat against the carpet recess, both out of the way and visible.
? photo please

Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 PM

? photo please
Just as soon as the snow and ice melt enough. It is currently 40 degrees F, with a sharp breeze, which will hopefully melt the layers of ice and snow that have 'welded' my trunk lid, and most likely the doors and windows, shut for now. But it feels like a 'heatwave' today considering it was negative 4 degrees yesterday, with a one hour high of 17 degrees F, and not much better the last two weeks.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 PM

? photo please
Here are some pictures of the Emergency Release Handle stowed in the recess, I apologize for the picture quality, my camera kept shutting off due to a low battery. No, I do not own a cell phone and in fact, I just upgraded from my original 2003 Gateway Desktop with XP that I had custom built for me, to a laptop with 8 Gigs of RAM and 8 Gigs of Primary Storage and somehow this thing makes videos and phone calls, and scares the crap out of me when it starts talking. I have got a bit of learning ahead, and have spent the last couple of weeks figuring out how this thing works.

Attached Thumbnails Boot problem-sany1138.jpg   Boot problem-sany1139.jpg   Boot problem-sany1140.jpg   Boot problem-sany1141.jpg   Boot problem-sany1142.jpg  

Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it just me that can't figure out why an emergency release handle is located INSIDE the boot (trunk)? That's a great help if I can't open it from the outside.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

It's a US spec requirement - we don't have it on our UK spec vehicles.

Apparently their children are allowed to play with cars without adult supervision and can get shut in the boot either accideentally or by their 'friends'. The handle is luminous so they can find it in the dark and release the lid.

Over here we transport our children in the boot so as not to hear any whining from the back seat. Naturally we don't want the little blighters to be able to get out by themselves.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
B o B (12-23-2016), Jon89 (12-23-2016), worrasf (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

It must be a USA thing. I have never seen that handle. I have had the CD changer out and the boot lock cover etc never seen it. Then again the UK is not well known for bodies in boots/trunks.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Apparently their children are allowed to play with cars without adult supervision and can get shut in the boot either accideentally or by their 'friends'. The handle is luminous so they can find it in the dark and release the lid.

Over here we transport our children in the boot so as not to hear any whining from the back seat. Naturally we don't want the little blighters to be able to get out by themselves.

Graham
I so like that explanation GGG. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
That would explain why I can't find it Graham.
Cheers
Steve