Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying XKR 2001

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Buying XKR 2001

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for about 2 years without registering, while simultaneously searching for an XK8/XKR convertible. Now, after rejecting a few, I have finally found a car that seems suitable for me, which I'm having a look at and hopefully buying during this week.

Since I live in a small alpine tax-haven of a country, with only 35k people, I will have to import the car. I think there are only 2 or 3 used XK*'s in our country, all of the 2006- model, which I don't care for much regarding styling, and it is way too expensive anyway.

The car of interest is a beautiful silver 2001 XKR convertible with 100k miles, it has a knowledgeable owner that has taken care of quite some known issues; chain and tensioners replaced, supercharger replaced, new suspension, new exhaust and manifold, all lights changed to the new clear variety. According to pictures, the car is in an excellent condition inside and outside.

I am aware of this being an expensive car to run, and I estimate about $2k-2.5k per year in service costs alone.

Now, are there any points that I should be particularly aware of when checking this car out? From what I recall, these should be the main POI:

- Check out the 5sp Mercedes transmission status (runs smooth, regularly serviced?)
- Verify convertible roof operation (green shower risk)
- Water pump condition? (Was replaced at 60k miles, does it have the newer version?)

Any hints appreciated!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

You're definitely going to get noticed with that few Jaguars around!

The list of work done and your POI covers the usual issues but other items for concern depends on whether there's local Jaguar expertise and parts available in Liechtenstein or it has to be Austria or Switzerland.

Service History with supporting documents is critical. Full set of handbooks, keys (3) and remotes (2) and all working.

When inspecting the vehicle, sit down with the Driver's Handbook and check every switch and option works. You'll already know from research on the forum how much time, effort and money it can take to fix even minor electrical issues.

Graham

Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Make sure you get all 3 keys and both remotes. Make sure both of your cigarette lighters are there, not that you may use them, but people remove them to use cell chargers and they get lost, they were missing from my XJR, but I asked and got them replaced when purchased. Same thing with ash trays, tool kits in the bonnet and boot and anything else like this.

They may seem like small, insignificant items, but can add up to a lot of $ to replace.
Vector

Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 AM

The 2-3 cars remark refers to used cars. I have seen a few more Jags, also older models, roaming the streets here. But it is definitely more rare than Porsche's. I'd say at the level of Maserati's.

I was previously considering a Boxster S, but considering there are plenty of 911's around here, it wouldn't feel very special.

In our 3 apt. building all of my neighbors already have the combination of BMW+Porsche (X6 + 911 GTS, 335i + Boxster S) and since we also drive a BMW, we just cannot get another Porsche, it would just look silly. Besides, the XKR is just a much classier ride.

I'm currently searching for some indy repair shops that can take on a Jaguar XKR, across the border in Austria. Liechtenstein and Switzerland are some of the most expensive countries in the world for any service sector jobs, a simple 30 min haircut sets you back 100 USD, so you could imagine the cost of a tranny replacement...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

From our XK8-XKR FAQ thread...

I’m buying a used XK8/XKR, what should I look for?
Link 1 | Link 2

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM

By importing this car I would run into regulation issues. Exporting a car from the EU into Switzerland-Liechtenstein has become harder and harder, regulations are piling up. I could face a bill of several thousands just to get it cleared for traffic...

Instead I looked to what was available around here, and found a black XKR 2003 cabriolet with about 90k miles, 4.2 engine and 6HP26 box. After reading this forum extensively, I realize that the 2003 model is a substantial upgrade, making me feel better about this purchase.

The service history of this beauty is complete, always serviced by the Jaguar dealer. I also get a 12 month warranty on the engine and transmission from the dealer. I'm however wondering if you seasoned pro's have any tips on what I should check out with this car? Any preventative services I should have done?

The car has a few known issues:

- Scratches (repaired, but not invisible) on rear left fender
- The regular 90k stone chipping (mostly repaired, but not perfectly so) in the front
- J-gate and chrome surround have wear marks.

For the scratches and chipping, I will have a look for some scratch repair kits. Any suggestions?

I have looked around a bit for just the plastic J-Gate plate, but cannot find any. Chrome surround is plenty available. Any ideas?