XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Smog Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question California Smog Test

I recently purchased a 2002 Jag XK8 that had a burnt out engine due to low coolant. I had a 2003 low mileage engine installed and am now trying to register the car in California. The smog station says I have to drive the car more before I can get a certificate. I've driven it over 500 miles now but they say more. Today I got a 30 day temporary registration. After reading some of the forums on this matter I'm wondering if it will ever pass. Will the computer recognize the 2003 engine? Any advice out there for me? Whimzcat

Old 07-08-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Whimzcat
I recently purchased a 2002 Jag XK8 that had a burnt out engine due to low coolant. I had a 2003 low mileage engine installed and am now trying to register the car in California. The smog station says I have to drive the car more before I can get a certificate. I've driven it over 500 miles now but they say more. Today I got a 30 day temporary registration. After reading some of the forums on this matter I'm wondering if it will ever pass. Will the computer recognize the 2003 engine? Any advice out there for me? Whimzcat
It is called a "drive cycle." That will help you if you look it up. I had to drive that crazy sequence to ensure my system was complete. I took the Jag out at 2:30am 4 nights in a row running the same route. I used Google Maps to estimate a route that could allow me to complete the cycles. I had to run it at this ungodly hour so that I could coast down to 20mph on the Freeway! You have to coast down to 20mph.

FWIW, started out from my house 0-55 until Sunset Blvd, East to the 405 South, 55mph for 3 minutes, then coasted right at to the transition from 405 to 10 West down to 20mph! Took the 10 all the way to PCH. To run the cycle again, I continued down PCH to where I coasted down to 20mph right up to Entrada. Made my way up to Ocean Park Blvd where I could take San Vincente back to my house. Repeated it the next night, . . .

This Drive Cycle below takes care of multiple systems.

Drive Cycle (OBD-11)
A “drive cycle” carries out EPA diagnostics on all systems.
The drive cycle can be completed in approximately 15 – 20 minutes and is performed in the following 8 stages:
1. Cold Start
To qualify as a “cold start” the engine coolant temperature must be below 0°C and within 6°C of ambient air temperature. Don’t leave the ignition key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic test may not run.
2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner and heated rear screen ON. The heavier electrical load the better as this will test the O2 Heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and (if closed loop is achieved) Fuel Trim.
3. Accelerate
Turn off the AC and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
4. Maintain Steady Speed
Maintain a steady speed of 55mph for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
5. Decelerate
Lift off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift gear selector or touch the brakes. It’s important to let the vehicle coast, gradually slowing down to 20 mph. During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle to 55-60mph. This will perform the same diagnostics as in stage 3 above.
7. Maintain Steady Speed
Maintain a steady speed of 55mph for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in stage 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed.
8. Decelerate
This performs the same diagnostics as in stage 5. Again, don't shift the gear selector or touch the brakes.
If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it can take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

My God what hoops they make you jump through in Ca, in N.J its basic they plug you in and look for a check engine light. Every year the State inspection seems to be less and less pretty soon will drive up to the gate and machine will dispense the sticker.
Good Luck Whimzcat

Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremys
My God what hoops they make you jump through in Ca, in N.J its basic they plug you in and look for a check engine light.
What are the NJ regulations if they find no codes but discover one or more monitors not ready?

That's an instant fail in most states and provinces that have OBDII inspections for pollution.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Thank you, Cyber3rd, for taking the time to spell that whole sequence for me. We're having quite a heat wave here, as you know. Will my engine temperature be cold enough to start the process. I'm in Dana Point at my condo right now, so hopefully it will be cool enough over night here as opposed to La Crescenta where I have my house.

So so the fact that my new engine is a year newer than my car is of no concern, right? Thanks again, whimzcat

Old 07-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Sorry, that should have been cyber3d

Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi Mikey
As best as I can tell only check for OBDII that cause check engine light to signal
Many new rules put into place last year including the elimination of testing for cars 95 and older, which doesn't make sense as these are the most likely to pollute.
Oh well guess NJ lining up with climate change deniers.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If there's a fault it may not matter how much you drive since faults can block monitor(s). They in turn can by Catch-22 be unable to flag the fault. Rare but does happen.

Read the status of the monitors! OBD tools are cheap!

Also look for pending codes if there are no flagged ones.

Then see if it runs CL (closed loop) and what the fuel trims are.

Think of it as a network of computers which control the messy parts and you'll not go far wrong.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremys
Hi Mikey
As best as I can tell only check for OBDII that cause check engine light to signal
I did some digging and NJ looks for 'monitors not ready' just like CA and everywhere else. As of 2014 only one 'not ready' was permitted.

The following users liked this post:
jeremys (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Whimzcat
Thank you, Cyber3rd, for taking the time to spell that whole sequence for me. We're having quite a heat wave here, as you know. Will my engine temperature be cold enough to start the process. I'm in Dana Point at my condo right now, so hopefully it will be cool enough over night here as opposed to La Crescenta where I have my house.

So so the fact that my new engine is a year newer than my car is of no concern, right? Thanks again, whimzcat
Your ambient temp should not be a problem as long as your car has been sitting within 6 degrees C. Newer engine does not make a difference as long as the electronics have been connected correctly.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

To answer Mikey's NJ question: If you're not "ready", You will fail. Unfortunately they do not provide any grace periods in NJ anymore, but one hopes the cop who pulls you over is reasonable! Technically if you fail, you're not supposed to drive the car - DMV logic.

I supposed it is good and bad. I don't even have to take my 1994 Bronco for inspections ever again. Like the original poster said, they just look for emissions faults on the newer cars that need inspection once every 2 years, nothing else at all.

John

Old 02-13-2019, 06:03 PM

BUMP!

So, CA Smog Test required again. I knew I had to run the drive cycle again as my OBII showed it was not ready to smog test. BTW, I'm using the Lemur Blue Driver OBII.
I followed the instructions I posted higher up this thread. I changed my route a little bit and missed my hwy exit. Anyway, 1st cycle completed and checked the OBDII and it was still not ready to take in for the test. Being out on the Coast Hwy at 3am . . . so I did steps 3 & 4 again.
3. Accelerate
Turn off the AC and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
4. Maintain Steady Speed
Maintain a steady speed of 55mph for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
et Voila! it worked. All done in one night. About 40 minutes of work. Went to the Smog Test Station and it passed.

The following users liked this post:
hirev (02-13-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Well done....

Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I am so glad that we don't have any emissions tests up here