XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I would recommend using the simple switch to raise the windows and using the autodown circuit with timer and relays per my writeup as most reliable and safe way to do this now.

The following users liked this post:
1jarhead2 (10-03-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile To rev sam

Thanks to you, I was able to get my quarter windows down. I am totally manual
concerning my conv. top. I've even removed the hydraulic pump from the trunk. Any buyers out there? I will sell for reasonable price. Worked all too well when in service. I'll even throw in 500mls of the green hydraulic fluid.
My next challenge is to be able to wire the electronic latch with the on-off conv. top switch. I have been using the hex key but i'm getting lazy. Since there is already a switch in place, all i need to know is which wires to open and close the latch. Any ideas out there?
By the way, having a manual top is really kind of cool and not as difficult to deal with as some would have you think. Thanks again.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by samauger
My next challenge is to be able to wire the electronic latch with the on-off conv. top switch. I have been using the hex key but i'm getting lazy. Since there is already a switch in place, all i need to know is which wires to open and close the latch. Any ideas out there?
The latch is not electronic, it is hydraulic. You will not be able to operate it automatically without the pump.

samauger (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Default Congratulations

Congratulations. Were you able to reduce the wind & wind noise? I wasn't able to locate the Youtube site you'd mentioned. Is the address/URL available?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This mod was very simple and works perfectly. I also did the antenna mod as someone put an aftermarket head unit in and the antenna stays up when listening to cd's. Not anymore,I control that now.Thanks to this forum and Jag enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Smile Thanks again.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The latch is not electronic, it is hydraulic. You will not be able to operate it automatically without the pump.
That is truly a shame. I guess i'll just have to deal with it. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window control mod working except...

Thanks for your input!

I can definitiely see this being an issue depending on the resistance of the coil of the relay you choose and the variability of thresholds in the BCM.

Another approach would be to cut the return wire to the BCM and insert a simple rectifier diode, like a 1N4001 in series with it, with the cathode facing the switch, and the anode facing the BCM. This might be a more universal solution because it would be guaranteed to work with any coil resistance.
Hi,

This mod (the antenna switch as well!) is really great, thanks to whiteXKR and revsam for the tremendous research and the good and comprehensive desicption! I installed it according to the instructions and it works well... except I encounter the same issue that SSL is reporting.
Although I managed to install the mod and I still have some diodes (1N4001) left I do have a silly question when you say "insert a diode in series"...what would be the best way to do to ?
Cheers

Old 03-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SputNic
Hi,

This mod (the antenna switch as well!) is really great, thanks to whiteXKR and revsam for the tremendous research and the good and comprehensive desicption! I installed it according to the instructions and it works well... except I encounter the same issue that SSL is reporting.
Although I managed to install the mod and I still have some diodes (1N4001) left I do have a silly question when you say "insert a diode in series"...what would be the best way to do to ?
Cheers

What I mean is to cut the red/yel wire near the switch, leaving at least a couple of inches of wire attached to the switch. Connect this 2 inch red/yel section near the switch to the relay coil (as before) and also the cathode of the diode. Connect the red/yellow wire from the harness side to the anode of the diode and nothing else.

I have not actually tried this, but I am pretty sure it will solve the problem.

SputNic (03-18-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SkipM
Is it agreed this works with the 2008+ Verts as well?
No, but I have a new product that will. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...deo-109235/for for more info and contact me if you want to get on the waiting list.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 AM

What I mean is to cut the red/yel wire near the switch, leaving at least a couple of inches of wire attached to the switch. Connect this 2 inch red/yel section near the switch to the relay coil (as before) and also the cathode of the diode. Connect the red/yellow wire from the harness side to the anode of the diode and nothing else.

I have not actually tried this, but I am pretty sure it will solve the problem.
Great thanks. I will try that in the next days and I'll keep you informed.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Default rear window mod

I have an 02 xk8 and tried the rear window mod that I found on you tube but the wires I have do not match what was on the video. Any ideas or updates on this mod?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by odphoto
I have an 02 xk8 and tried the rear window mod that I found on you tube but the wires I have do not match what was on the video. Any ideas or updates on this mod?
Welcome to the forum!

Rev. Sam did his video on a 2003 model. The 2002 is similar this area.

Have another look at the rear of the center console and find the yellow connector with 18 pin positions. The green-black and green-blue wires are pins 16 and 17 respectively.

Note that the black and blue stripes on the green wires are easy to miss because they run straight down the wire and could be hidden on the back of the wire. Just twist the wire 180 degrees to see the stripe.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Let me correct a typo first. my XK is a 01, not an 02. Sorry for the confusion. Also I have located the black and blue stripped wires (#16 & 17) and tapped into them and grounded the 3rd wire. The switch I am using is a spare Jaguar window switch, but it does not operate the window. I have tried with the ignition switch in various positions to see if that would help but nothing. Any other ideas?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Let me correct a typo first. my XK is a 01, not an 02. Sorry for the confusion. Also I have located the black and blue stripped wires (#16 & 17) and tapped into them and grounded the 3rd wire. The switch I am using is a spare Jaguar window switch, but it does not operate the window. I have tried with the ignition switch in various positions to see if that would help but nothing. Any other ideas?
I cannot really tell how you have them connected from your description.

When you connect the green-blue wire (by itself) to ground the windows should both go down. When you connect the green-black (by itself) wire to ground the windows should both go up. This is how the switch or switches need to be configured.

Also '01 and '02 would be the same.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-26-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM

What you are explaining to me is what I have done. I have checked all connection with a meter and all seems to be connected correctly and still I have not had any luck. Let me try and bypass the switch and connect the wires individually to ground to see if I can get the windows to move that way. Does the position of the ignition switch matter?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

What you are explaining to me is what I have done. I have checked all connection with a meter and all seems to be connected correctly and still I have not had any luck. Let me try and bypass the switch and connect the wires individually to ground to see if I can get the windows to move that way. Does the position of the ignition switch matter?
It should work with the ignition either on or off.

odphoto (05-30-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM

It should work with the ignition either on or off.
After some more trial and error I found that my connections were not making good contact. I terminated them a bit better and was able to get the window to go up and down with the old the Jaguar window switch that I had. Thanks for the help.
The antenna switch mod is next.

Last edited by odphoto; 05-30-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Great thanks. I will try that in the next days and I'll keep you informed.
Success; thanks to this thread and the write-up of Steve I manage now to raise my windows exactly when I want them to. Due to the fact that using the existing top up/down switch didin't work reliably (refused service after 10minutes after opening the top) I installed an extra single push button switch in the console. Now it works all the time when the top is down and gives a much nicer silhouette of the car.

Another proof that this forum really rocks

Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 PM

Success; thanks to this thread and the write-up of Steve I manage now to raise my windows exactly when I want them to. Due to the fact that using the existing top up/down switch didin't work reliably (refused service after 10minutes after opening the top) I installed an extra single push button switch in the console. Now it works all the time when the top is down and gives a much nicer silhouette of the car.

Another proof that this forum really rocks
I used an old window switch and cut a plate from and old glove compartment, so that it matches the inside of my center console. Then mounted the switch to it and simply ran the wire through the seam in the center console. This way I did not damage any original parts and it looks more like an OEM installation. I also mounted a cruise control switch next to it and I will be using that for the antenna modification. I am really glad I found this forum!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 PM

After some more trial and error I found that my connections were not making good contact. I terminated them a bit better and was able to get the window to go up and down with the old the Jaguar window switch that I had. Thanks for the help.
The antenna switch mod is next.
WhiteXKR
Thanks for all your help! I subscribed to a thread "2002 XK8 Electric Head Rest" and asked for some help with a head rest issue I am having. I sure Would appreciate any assistance you could lend me.

Quick Reply: Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?