XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the seat heater regulator be disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:42 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Can the seat heater regulator be disabled?

I want to disable the automatic cutoff for the seat heater (both sides). But how to do it without screwing the electrics. Anyone know how to do this?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Interesting question. The owners manual states the seats will get no hotter than the temp displayed in climate control.

I've confirmed the relationship by setting heat in the 80s on very cold days roof down. [Drawback with that is the heater toasts the drivers foot]

once in a while I've seen the heaters shut off inexplicably, but that's rare and not problematic.

I've scanned the diagrams for info on seat temp control but never found anything. I figure there must be a circuit in the bpm to regulate the temp, but without a thermo couple of any kind it must be using some kind of dead reckoning in the electrical circuit. Pure speculation here.

maybe someone has expertise on this?

Either later models or more advanced options at some point provided separate user controls to set seat temp. Maybe if one of us knows when that became available, that years electric diagram will give better clues?

interesting topic,

john

Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

And an interesting response.
My handbook states that my seats will get no hotter than the preset thermostat setting. No mention of climate control settings. The electrical diagrams show the thermostat to be in the seat cushions.
Handbook also says that if the ambient temperature is above the fixed preset value, the heaters will not operate.
No electrical diagrams for any year of XK8/R show any means of adjusting the thermostat setting.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Astromorg,

I think We were saying the exact same thing. When you said thermostat I think of the temp display in what I called climate control. Isn't that the thermostat they meant? You have the advantage of reading it live ☺, I was going from memory mate.

I really think I feel a seat temp difference between when it says 68 degrees and when I set it to like 87 degrees. See what you think sometime.
John
John

Old 05-25-2017, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by astromorg
And an interesting response.
My handbook states that my seats will get no hotter than the preset thermostat setting. No mention of climate control settings. The electrical diagrams show the thermostat to be in the seat cushions.
Handbook also says that if the ambient temperature is above the fixed preset value, the heaters will not operate.
No electrical diagrams for any year of XK8/R show any means of adjusting the thermostat setting.
Looking at my service manual it shows the heating elements in the seat and backrest. But, no thermostat in the seats. Maybe it is in the seat control module?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

Look here http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2003.pdf on pages 12.1 onwards. Thermostat is shown in each seat cushion as a symbol to the left of the heating elements. It's the same for all model years.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

This is a large doc. Astromorg is referring to pages 90 - 95. Just an fyi.

now if we can get a handle on when user controlled seat temps were available on these models we could review how they did that too.
John

Old 05-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
Look here http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2003.pdf on pages 12.1 onwards. Thermostat is shown in each seat cushion as a symbol to the left of the heating elements. It's the same for all model years.
Thanks!

I see that in "Components" there are:

SEAT CUSHION (HEATER) – DRIVER | SD19 / 3-WAY MULTILOCK 070 / YELLOW | SEAT CUSHION

And something called a "SQUAB (HEATER) – DRIVER" | SD17 / 3-WAY MULTILOCK 070 / GREY | SEAT SQUAB

What is a squab?

And I see the thermostat shown as an integral part of the Driver Seat Cushion Heater.

Should be easy to "jump" the thermostat, right?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
What is a squab?
"Easy - it's the bit you sit on" I thought. Apparently that seems to be true if we're not talking about a car seat, in which case it's the back.

Oddly, the diagram has the legends mixed up for the squab heater and the lumbar pump. The copy I have doesn't.

It might be possible to adjust the thermostat setting in the seat, although I imagine there's a safety element to its presence. Presumably the seat will just continue to get hotter if the 'stat is bypassed, but how hot?

Just my

Mike

Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Guys, a couple of points!

Cyber, that diagram that you have has a typo in that it labels the lumbar pump and squab heater the wrong way around! The seat squab is traditionally the bit you sit on, but to have the thermostat in the seat back (cushion?) would be contrary to Jaguar's usual practice. Whatever, you can identify which is which by the color of the wiring - Orange to the t'stat - and the Yellow and Grey connectors

Sorry, but no version of the X100 has ever had user controlled seat temperatures supplied by Jaguar or even the low/high settings arrangement as used in the sedan range.

I still don't understand why you would want to bypass the thermostat. Do you carry an easily accessible fire extinguisher?

Last edited by astromorg; 05-25-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM

What ever the temperature is outside I like my seat warmers hot! I don't think I'll mind toggling the seat heater on and off to maintain the heat.

My XK8 seats are not very hot at all.

Our Mercedes SUV has seats so hot you'd think you wet your pants! And for my messaged up spine and hips, the heat is a welcomed relief.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The maximum temperature of my X100's heater-pads is limited by a bimetal temperature-switch (on/off-type) CEBO ELTH 261C, mounted in the squab-heater-pad.

Until now i was not able to get more specific technical details, but it is common to these parts, that they cut off the current at a specific temperature. But this is NOT a "regulator" in it's today's common meaning...

Depending on the switch-off value, it might be possible to exchange this part against one with a higher cut-off level.

If I've some spare time, I could check the temp-level for switch-off. Beside off the dimensions ( 1/2" type, i suppose) and the maximum current, every t-switch should work.

Have a nice WE,
Wolf

BTW: Pic is from a new pad, not mounted!

Attached Thumbnails Can the seat heater regulator be disabled?-t-schalter_elth_261c_small.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by neatcat
The maximum temperature of my X100's heater-pads is limited by a bimetal temperature-switch (on/off-type) CEBO ELTH 261C, mounted in the squab-heater-pad.

Until now i was not able to get more specific technical details, but it is common to these parts, that they cut off the current at a specific temperature. But this is NOT a "regulator" in it's today's common meaning...

Depending on the switch-off value, it might be possible to exchange this part against one with a higher cut-off level.

If I've some spare time, I could check the temp-level for switch-off. Beside off the dimensions ( 1/2" type, i suppose) and the maximum current, every t-switch should work.

Have a nice WE,
Wolf

BTW: Pic is from a new pad, not mounted!
You are awesome Wolf! Thank you.

Victor