XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Turns Over But No Start-a different solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Turns Over But No Start-a different solution

Forum Friends: I recently had an incident when my 1998 XK8 would turn over but had no ignition. I thought it might be a fuel pump or relay issue and then I read about the cylinder wash problem that can occur due to the nikasil linings in the cylinders in this vintage of engine. I attempted the starting procedure for the cylinder wash conditions and had no luck. Towing the car into an independent Jag shop, it was discovered that the connection between the battery and the fuse box located in the trunk had become loose causing a voltage drop to the fuel pump relay and thus to the fuel pump itself. I had other symptoms that should have clued me in. My windows and convertible top were not operating correctly and the trunk and fuel door switch were also not working all of the sudden. I did not immediately suspect electrical problems because the lights inside, radio, lights, and the starter were working fine. There was also one other operating anomaly that might have given me a clue. Prior to the tightening of the battery to fuse box connection, when I would drive on an uphill grade and in a higher gear, I could sense a gentle ebbing and flowing of the engine rev. This went away after the electrical fix. My thought is that the voltage was fluctuating all the time to the ignition system and the connection finally shook loose enough to cause the more serious starting and switch function issues.

I am providing this information so that if you run into a starting problem where the engine turns over like crazy but will not fire, check the voltage at the fuel pump relay. If it is lower than normal, there is a chance that the electrical connection between the rear fuse box and the battery could be loose, particularly if other switch functions start to fail. Dave

The following users liked this post:
Truck Graphics (04-19-2017)