XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD codes and 4th Amendment issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default OBD codes and 4th Amendment issues

OBD III can be read remotely by newer police vehicles.
If you car has OBD III, Before they've gotten out of the car to ask you "Do you know how fast you were going?" they already have that info down to RPM and which gear you were in, and whether you were using a turn signal or not. Not only that, but it will also tell the police if you have any malfunctioning equipment like sensors and such, so they can issue you a fix-it ticket on top of anything else they've got on you.

Can anyone confirm that XK/R does not support this and only has OBD II? (i.e. at least requires the cop to physically jack in to the OBD port to get that information).

Thanks

Old 03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I can assure you the X100 does not have any such technology.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Can anyone confirm that XK/R only has OBD II?
This is probably best suited for a more general forum, but our cars definitely have OBD2/OBDII. There is no built-in wireless capability that I know of. Is there any OBD 3 vehicle out there, yet? Seems like a bunch of proposals for now.

That being said, I believe there are a number of circumstances where key pieces of data are "captured" by the ECU, and later made accessible as the "freeze frame" over OBDII. These circumstances are typically technical, e.g. you start the engine and it immediately dies, but also include accident scenarios like air bag deployments. In other words, I believe that some of the data you were talking about can get captured during a crash, and later technically retrieved through the diagnostics port. I say "technically" because I know nothing of the legality of it, either from the police, or even from third parties like an insurance company, or if any type of warrant is necessary.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

OBDIII has been discussed on and off for years. It is not in commercial use on automobiles AFAIK.

About the only thing even remotely similar is roadside drive-by smog testing available in some states. This is actually a convenience and saves you from getting your periodic smog test. This works with OBDII vehicles and is not radio based.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Did I miss a month? It's really the 1st April, OK?
If so . . . great joke . . . Hahahahaha . . .

Here in Oz, the very newest Police Highway Patrol vehicles have automated Number Plate Recognition software that can alert officer to any vehicle among a passing stream for outstanding traffic violations, theft etc, but this has nothing to do with remote OBD interrogation, which sounds suspiciously like yet another urban conspiracy myth in the making.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

No, it's real if this is to be believed:
SEMA.org -- OBD-III Frequently Asked Questions

Not sure what its state of evolution is as Steve says (the date at the foot of the article is 2002), but I believe it is/was a conversation piece in California.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I believe there is as yet no OBD-III (and no current plan for it).

CARB have a bit about it https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdfaq.htm

There are no matches at all that I could find on the EPA site.

(There have been fake stories about it for 10 or so years, though.)

---

I think some car makers would like remote telemetry - they'd love to know someone hasn't filled up the oil or that a code popped up and they can maybe grab the business (money) of fixing it.

VW could use it for emissions....

Last edited by JagV8; 03-03-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 AM

>> I think some car makers would like remote telemetry

at least all Teslas and all GM cars (Chevvy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC ) already have always-connected 2 way telemetry.

You can't even buy a GM car without OnStar built-in, and its continually collecting data on you and sending it back to GM even if you dont pay for the OnStar subscription. They can also mess with your car, including unlocking and disabling it, adding and removing features, changing ECM settings etc without your permission or even knowledge (or a subscription).

Its basically why I'd never even consider buying any Tesla or GM car. I'm sure all car manufacturers are at least starting to go that way though. Its also yet another great reason to love my XKR.

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-04-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-12-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

If I buy one of those I'll be bypassing that cr@p!

There again, who leaves their mobile (cell) phone on all the time, letting the phone companies track where you are and when...

Last edited by JagV8; 03-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If I buy one of those I'll be bypassing that cr@p!

There again, who leaves their mobile (cell) phone on all the time, letting the phone companies track where you are and when...
No option. you can't even buy those cars without it.
Also, with GM cars, if you unplug the OnStar the cruise control and other significant stuff starts failing and eventually stops working. They REALLY don't want you stopping them spying on you.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

I can assure you that OBDIII is not present in Jaguar or Land Rover. As for other manufacturers, I don't think so either, otherwise I'm pretty sure this would have been all over the place with those capabilities.

However, with the way technology is going these days, its giving the manufacturers more ability to be in contact with the vehicle, which in turn will help with diagnostics, and reduced warranty claims, etc. If the government requests that it be installed in all new vehicles at some point, all I could suggest is to not buy a new vehicle, stick with the old.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Not only does law enforcement not have the capability, it would be an invasion of privacy (outside of you consenting) at this point until there were case law to back up such actions. There really is no need for an officer to "plug in" or remotely "read" anything. For instance, checking speed is simple. Officer sees vehicle passing through a posted speed zone, officer estimates speed of vehicle based on training/experience, officer verifies speed of said vehicle using RADAR/LIDAR/etc, and if said vehicle exceeds posted speed limit, has the option to stop the vehicle. No need to plug or read anything as that would over complicate the process anyways. Any other minor traffic infractions are based on the officer's observations and also possibly off of dash cameras if need be.

Here in some states in bigger municipalities they are incorporating plate readers. This allegedly does not violate the 4th amendment as plates are readily visible and can be matched to wanted plates, but does raise the concerns that if they are read and processed without any suspicion then it may be a violation, just as an officer shouldn't run plates ***** nilly, but in the due course of his duties.

California, on the other hand, is like a different country altogether and this is yet another reason I have no desire to live there anymore.

That said, don't drive like a maniac and you will not attract unwanted attention.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
No option. you can't even buy those cars without it.
Also, with GM cars, if you unplug the OnStar the cruise control and other significant stuff starts failing and eventually stops working. They REALLY don't want you stopping them spying on you.
hmm... I guess shielding the aerial or the like will stop it transmitting... but easier just to avoid buying their cars!

This "remote OBD" (it's not really OBD III) is not mandated by law and as people hate the very idea so much it probably won't be. Or will it...

(We already have ANPR in quite widespread use here. ANPR = automatic number plate recognition. Feels a bit weird but hopefully helps catch bad people.)

Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

+1 . . . Ditto for Australia. ANPR is here; it is widespread; and incredibly fast in response - as pointed out in my earlier post, ours can typically read all car plates in a 100+km/hr stream of oncoming vehicles at typical separation distances, even when the police vehicle is itself traveling at 100+km/hr.

Having seen it in action, I assume its major focus includes clamping down on vehicles being driven with lapsed registration. These rego costs are escalating to very expensive levels here. Needless to say, the penalties for driving an unregistered vehicle are equally high - making ANPR a sure fire revenue raiser.

I still stand by my earlier comments that remote "spyware" telemetry by car manufacturers of all their sold vehicles is a furphy of the first order. Real time telemetry, even of a limited, closely confined group of vehicles in race environments like Nurburgring, Spa or Bathurst's Mt Panorama, is horrendously challenging and often intermittent and unreliable. Typically, it is configured to "read" data on these large circuits only during the burst past the home straight pits. This is NOT real time telemetry. Can you honestly expect a Detroit manufacturer to be capable of real time telemetry of say 300,000 cars dispersed from Tecoma to Colorado Springs to Miami to Long Island. Or, are we suggesting that our cars are accumulating stored data, ready to to be burst read when we pass Detroit - GREAT, they'd be waiting a lifetime for any of my cars! Even if technically possible across NA, what benefits to the company could possibly accrue from such a fabulous financial investment.

The real non-conspiratorial world may be less than perfect but, IMHO, it's not that ridiculous! That sort of gut-busting joke is reserved for the digital electronics in my early XJ40 . . . all the rest of our fleet of Jaguars are brilliant, but this digital instrument dash panel is a stinker that Jaguar quickly abandoned.

Anyway, cheers to all,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 04-13-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Probably better to worry about google misusing your data. (Or other web sites or you phone provider or your credit card ...)

Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Bingo! Checkout chicks often look sideways while I struggle to extract my sole debit card from the RFD sleeve I keep in my otherwise unprotected wallet. In Australia, we now face a dilemma on 2 fronts . . .

Firstly, on the basis of security, it is now a legislated requirement for phone companies and ISPs to retain their metadata and make such available to stipulated authorities on an ongoing basis. The not unreasonable contention is that, if you have nothing to hide, you won't object . . . but perhaps the more pressing fear is that the authorities are so far behind the really bad people in this world, that they really do need all the data they can collect. Few Australians have, or will, object to these measures . . . despite the worrying trend of baskets of patient records left unattended in hospital carparks or turning up on local Council garbage dumps.

But secondly and like you John, I see far more concern about commercial intrusion, especially derived from mobile phones and online browsing. I have never been attracted to twits, faces in books or such other cr@p, but now, thanks to Google or others, I face a new challenge. For a recent JF Regional meet weekend, I paid for our overnight accommodation using card as above, only to find I am now receiving push advertising on my laptop for alternate venues and retail outlets in the same regional NSW town I have rarely visited. Even as I write, the sidebar of my laptop screen is displaying an eBay push of several Jaguar & Haynes books I have on my eBay watch list.

My solution will appear bizarre to many. Despite having a relatively new Samsung smartphone, I have cancelled its data service, locked out WiFi and BT and now use it for no other purpose than as my address book and phone. I refuse to use it for emails and constantly remind myself to only use SMS texts as a last resort and devoid of any personal or private data.

What fueled my posts on this thread was the contention that someone, somewhere, in some distant Jaguar facility, would (or even could) alert me to their concern I had just fitted a non-propriety replacement part . . . or objected to my never-ending playing of QUEEN or FLEETWOOD MAC music on my car's audio system!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-15-2017, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Ad blockers can help - I mainly use firefox with ABP (ad block plus).

Also, some suggest Startpage as the search page for its (alleged? actual?) anonymity. (Must try it...)

I hate ads. Never find them useful but meantime they're sucking up bandwidth and slowing page loads.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
I still stand by my earlier comments that remote "spyware" telemetry by car manufacturers of all their sold vehicles is a furphy of the first order.
Ken
Ken whether you believe its furry or not, its already being done.
All Tesla vehicles are always-on connected to Tesla (through cell service), just like all GM-brand vheicles (so in the US that means all Chevvys Buick,Caddillac, GMC), are connected, remotely monitored and can be controlled through Onstar, even if you're not even subscribed to Onstar. Other companies are doing it too. For example, every time you start an Nissan Leaf it pops up a screen where you have to agree to it sending tracking and EV data back to Nissan through its built-in cell radio.

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Real time telemetry, even of a limited, closely confined group of vehicles in race environments like Nurburgring, Spa or Bathurst's Mt Panorama, is horrendously challenging and often intermittent and unreliable.
If it is unreliable as you say (which I doubt from the evidence of my own eyes, at least for formula 1, and just how connected my own cellphone is when I'm driving around), thats got to be due to artificial constraints specific to racing such as tight regulation of car specs and other details such as weight, data security and power saving. Companies like Tesla and GM are mass-producing cars and operate R&D on a scale that racing companies with 3 or 4 custom built cars just can't even conceive of. The issue here is not the reliability of the connection (which if the problem even still exists in racing, is just an issue that will certainly dissapear just through improving technology over time). Besides there is no need for 100% reliable/real-time connection to spy on/remotely control people and their cars anyway. That data can be queued up and sent (both ways) whenever the car next gets a good signal. If (unlike racing cars) they're using cell or satellite-based service, as most connected vehicles are, that stays connected most of the time anyway.

The real issue here is that some mainstream car manufacturers are already BADLY abusing the privacy of their own customers and moving the notion of post-purchase ownership of the vehicle back to the manufacturer, and even passing the cost of doing that back onto the customer, and are getting away with it because the majority of people are like you in choosing to live in denial and just keep rationalizing away whatever they choose to do to us next, mostly through being uniformed and the mistaken belief that car companies must be on "our" side, and not just trying to make more money in any way that they can get away with. The continued lack of any significant pushback is just encouraging the other car companies to also jump on the bandwagon.
Ken[/QUOTE]

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

I happily stand corrected if you have evidence of real-time telemetric snooping by your car manufacturers . . . in which case, I endorse the comments by [JagV8] . . . boycott their products and mount campaigns to garner broad public outrage. Nothing hurts like a savage drop in sales.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

GM/tesla - sounds horrid.

The idea behind Remote OBD was that an owner could drive by a test (I/M) station and if the OBD system was happy (as detected by WiFi/etc) they'd have completed their legally-required OBD stuff. No more need to queue or the like, no plugging in OBD tools. As an idea it has appeal. As perverted by GM, Tesla et al - yuck. Idiots!