XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Cat will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Cat will not start!

I have a 2001 XKR with 66K miles that will not start. It all started about a week ago after no issues or symptoms. The car started and stalled right away (1st time this ever has happened) then would not restart. It cranked fine but didn't turn over. Seemed like it was flooded, so I waited a short time and tried the pedal to the metal trick and it eventually started and I was able to drive home. It again did the same thing the next day. Today it started, but it took a few times to start. I drove a couple miles and had trouble starting it back up on the return trip. At home I could not get it started at all. It cranks fine but acts like it is not getting gas. It would start but barely run and would not rev at all when I tried to give it some gas. At first I thought this was just a flooded issue but now I think something else is failing, like the fuel pump. It has not thrown any fault codes, or at least none are showing up on the dash display. I had to push it into the garage and it will be stored for the winter (a little earlier than expected!). I know there could be many different issues causing this problem. I was planning on changing the fuel filter even before this problem, and also the sparkplugs, but now I will be doing more investigating. Is there an easy way to check to see if the fuel pump(s) are working? Could this still be all a result from a flooded engine? The car did run for a 20 minute drive after the first issue. I tired disconnecting the battery and removing the fuel pump fuse, but it did not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Bob

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face

Do a search on fuel pumps and see if the info on testing helps.I had to replace the two fuel pumps in My XKR and it has only 43K on it.Besides the pumps,the wiring harness at tank is prone to failure.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Any auto parts store will have an inexpensive pressure gauge that can easily be hooked up to the pressurized fuel line that goes into the cylinders.

They should also have access as to what amount of pressure it needs to have to open the injectors.

Many people are fooled by opening the line just to make sure the pump is pumping, but it's essential to have adequate pressure, and quite a bit I might add.

If the new fuel filter doesn't do the trick, this is what I would check next.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe had both fuel pumps replaced by the previous owner at 72k miles. The dealer invoice for the repair was $1,300, expensive. I would check the previous thread and have the pressure checked.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM

I will change out the fuel filter first. What do you think my chances are that this will fix the problem? I can only hope, right!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

"It cranked fine but didn't turn over"

Huh? If it is cranking it is turning.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

A 97 XK8 has TWO fuel pumps???? If so WHY???

Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If you are going to change the filter you will know if you have pressure in the fuel line. From what I understand the xkr has 2 fuel pumps and could run on one but would experience fuel issues at times. Checking it with a pressure gauge will give you an indication if the fuel is present and available. You can also pull the plugs and see if fuel is present. Also see that spark is available.
Now you mention that you held the accelerator to the floor and it started? If that is the case iwhen you had the accelerator to the floor when starting you cut the fuel off. You also said that you took it on a short 2 mile trip and still had the problem. How often do you drive this car? Also have the OBD codes read and see what you have. I managed to wash the cylinders on my 95xj6 4.0 and had a heck of a time starting it. The old start and turn off in the driveway. This should not be the first thing you do but if you have spark and fuel add a few drops of oil to the cylinders and see if it starts.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The chance that changing the filter will fix the problem is about 0%.

The XKR has 2 pumps, the XK8 one.

There was a TSB on the wiring harness, inside the tank, failing but it was not a Service Action.

My '00 XK8 had the pump replaced, under warranty, then 2 days later the pump wiring harness was replaced, also under warranty. Guess what the real problem was!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the answer TEST. good to know I have jsut one pump! Assuming my pump is orig on my 97 with 75k, what is the expected lifespan of these pumps. Are the old myths of running with atleast a half tank of gas to keep the pumps cool for real???

Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Still no luck yet. I pulled the plugs to inspect them. No fuel present. I wiped them off and put a small amount of oil into the cylinder and reinstalled the plugs. Still no start. The starter turns the engine fine, and it seems like I have compression. Just not getting fuel I think. I took off the blue cap on the schrader valve to see if any fuel pressure was present, and nothing came out. I did this check with the car off. Should there be some pressure at this valve even with everything off?

Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

With no fuel present I would go in that direction to find out why. Do not get distracted do one at a time when they are not present (fuel or spark) and always check your OBD codes.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

A Fuel Pump failure will NOT post a immediate Failure Code. The ECM does NOT monitor the current flow in the Fuel Pump. In my 2000 XKR Both (2 pumps in XKR) failed over last winter storage. Engine would crank but not start. Tank had to be removed and both pumps replaced.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 PM

I agree will Paul.The fuel pump failure did not show up on the fault codes.The same thing happen to my XKR, won't start and no fuel at the regulator.I did the simple stuff first and then I went onto this forum with the problem and Brutal(JagTech) walked me through it.I didn't confirm it was the pumps until I pull the gas tank.And pulling the the tank is 90 percent of the work.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Where is JagTech & Brutal when you need him?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 PM

I asked the same thing to H20boy,none are currently active.Maybe we wore them out.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Just a curious question:

If the XKr's have two fuel pumps, would they both fail at the same time? Is it probable one failed awhile ago and I was running on only one, and now that last one has failed? Are there two link lead wire harnesses, one for each pump, or is there one wire harness that connects both pumps? How much does the wire harness cost and is this a "dealer only" item?

I tried to see if I could hear the pump(s) turn on when the ignition was turned on, and I did not hear any sounds coming from the tank, so it appears the fuel pump is not getting power.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

There 2 Fuel Pumps, 2 Harnesses and 2 Relays.

The Harnesses Have Noise Suppression filters molded in the middle of the Harness.

The Harnesses List at $139 each and are only available from Jaguar.

The Jaguar Fuel Pumps List at $245 each.

I don't know the details of which pump is used under what conditions. I believe that both pumps are "Excercised" even when high power output is not being used.

After last winter storage Both of my Pumps were bad (Open Circuit). The car would crank but not start. When I put the car away last fall, it was running perfect.

I had both pumps replaced and both harnesses, even though the harnesses were OK.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 11-03-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks. Pricey piece of wire!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM

I had the same problem as Paul,put the car away for the winter and went to start it and it would only crank.I did not think it could be the pumps,which was the advice I got from the guys on the forum. I changed the filter,still nothing,by the way the screens on the pumps do a good job of cleaning up the gas even before it gets to the filter.Yes there are two pumps,but if one fails you will not notice it,but when the second one fails,you won't go any where.

Last edited by eaglexkr; 11-03-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: sp error

Quick Reply: The Cat will not start!