Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Center Console OUT!

I've been driving around in my recently purchased XK8 the past few months with the temp display unlit because I failed to notice it in the online listing for the car (shown below)...strictly my bad...

So this eventually had to happen (today, in fact)...

So that this could happen (made quite a mess for a while)...

Eventually got to this stage, but one thing about the bulbs...I had to trim the tabs in each of the two slots on the bases of the bulbs so they would turn and lock into their mounts. Fortunatly the bases were plastic, so a few minutes with the X-acto knife did the trick.

And alas, victory was had ...and I will certianly study car lisitings more carefully next time lol...

Another thing was the broken ash tray lid, and after a close look I found the hinges broken so I ordered one used from Coventry. This will require removing the console again to install it so I left the J-gate trim off until everything is done, mostly because I don't want to break another tab like I did today! But the best part is, both cruise and granny mode are still available!

Gotta have a sense of humor when you own a Jaguar!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Mark

Gotta have a sense of humor when you own a Jaguar!
You're so right. Poor Sam's sense of humor seems to be running a bit thin with his on-going problems. Hang in there Sam!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yo, Skid -

What's the P/N for the lamps? I have one inop.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mike, the p/n is JLM 11965. What's a stratohammer? Sounds like something used to hit a stratofortress?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
You're so right. Poor Sam's sense of humor seems to be running a bit thin with his on-going problems. Hang in there Sam!
I reviewed both his vids on console removal and the light bulb swap today and found them essential to getting through this. Any car has issues most of the time, add in advancing years and some complexity and there will always be something going on, sometimes major. Sam knows that, I'm sure!

Jaguars aren't all that bad, actually. I've been on some other exotic car forums, and they deal with plenty of issues as well. Some very surprising, like dead batteries over night, door handles/body trim falling off brand new cars, annoying warning messages over and over, etc.

We are not alone, haha...

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Skid,

Thanks for the info!

As to the Stratohammer handle, I've never whacked a B-52, but I fix airplanes for a living. Mine fly in the stratosphere, but I almost never wield a hammer - at work, anyway. Thus, the hammer part is a tongue-in-cheek reference to a hammer mechanic - i.e. one who resorts early to the brute force method of achieving dominance over recalcitrant machinery. I know it doesn't make 100% sense, but those who know me aren't surprised.

I hope you enjoy your XK8 as much as I enjoy mine. I've had it almost 5 years, drive it every day, and still love it - random fault messages and all!

Mike

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stratohammer
Skid,

Thanks for the info!

As to the Stratohammer handle, I've never whacked a B-52, but I fix airplanes for a living. Mine fly in the stratosphere, but I almost never wield a hammer - at work, anyway. Thus, the hammer part is a tongue-in-cheek reference to a hammer mechanic - i.e. one who resorts early to the brute force method of achieving dominance over recalcitrant machinery. I know it doesn't make 100% sense, but those who know me aren't surprised.

I hope you enjoy your XK8 as much as I enjoy mine. I've had it almost 5 years, drive it every day, and still love it - random fault messages and all!

Mike
Hi Mike, I flew for a living for 20+ years, so I'm very familiar with your profession. I regard the job you guys do very highly! My guess would be if you're in the USAF you're based at Tinker AFB? I flew LogAir a looong time ago, saw Tinker quite a bit!

Yes I do enjoy my Jag a great deal. One of the greatest satisfactions for me is resolving the problems that the car presents, and for that this forum is invaluable!
Good luck with both the airplanes and the cars!