XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

central locking relay ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default central locking relay ?

Hi, Can anyone tell me where to find the central locking relay please. I have looked but the car has so many it would take a long time to find the correct one. My central locking has stopped and i have checked the fuses ect and the only thing i can think of now is the relay. If you can point me to it that would be great. My car is a 1999 XKR Coupe Right hand drive.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Look into the trunk and on the right side you should find the Security and Locking Control. HOLD ON THOUGH! In each door you have a control for that door.

I would first look at the bottom of each "A" pillar post (Body member at the front of the doorway) and see what condition the ground connection is in. (Or do you still call that earth?)

Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

We looooove solving problems. When you say that central locking stopped working, does it not work with anything? I can think of three ways to unlock the car; the button on the fob, the key in the lock, and pulling on the door handle. Do none of those work?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same problem albeit intermittant. does anyone have a pic of where this earthing is or can describe it a bit better for me please. Andy, its worth checking the door modules if its only one door. They are swappable and would at least eliminate them.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM

In the US we call them grounds. In England the term earth has been used. It refers to where wires are connected to the engine block or parts of the chassis to hook up to the negative side of the battery without having a ton of wires going from the neg post to every component.

Open the car door up all the way and look for a rubber or plastic flexable conduit. The wires are in it. The wires go into the body and behind the "kick" panel that hides the wires you will see a ground connection which should be checked before buying expensive parts.

The reason that I say check the grounds is because of bad people. In the US we have a lot of cases where people will buy flood damaged cars and clean them up and get them going again. They will sell them without saying anything about the car having been soaked. After a while things start rusting and such. At this forum, I see that a lot of the folks are not the first owners and may have one of these cars.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Here is where to get the wiring diagram for your Jaguar:

www.captainjaguarscathouse.com/Electrical_Reference.htm

NOW GET THE PICS!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a problem last year where the SCM (security control module), that is located in the right side of the trunk in front of the battery got water in it. The car would lock with the key, but the key fobs wouldn't work at all. New SCM - luckily under warranty fixed the problem -- good thing for warranty b/c the part was about $1200 from Jag and there are different numbers for security reasons, so one SCM may not exactly replace another.