XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed cluster bulbs, now cluster is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changed cluster bulbs, now cluster is dead!

Hello All:

'01 XK8 .The one bulb that illuminates the right side of the speedo and the fuel gauge was out, so I disconnected the battery, pulled the cluster and replaced all four light bulbs. When I started the car I got Oil Pressure Low, Low Coolant, and Battery Not Charging warning lights, AND the bulb, though replaced, was still not illuminating the right side of the speedo and fuel gauge. So I disconnected the battery again, removed the cluster, checked the bulbs, put the cluster back in and this time I have NO Display or gauges, and the climate control display now says ER. So I checked the fuse for the cluster and it was good. So, I hooked up my scanner and got no communication for engine, trans and ABS, only communication with the airbag - which is fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I should start?

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

Last edited by Tracy Weiland; 08-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update: Pulled the cluster out again, took it apart and looked for anything suspicious. Didn't find anything. Removed the one bulb that wasn't working before and after changing all the bulbs. Spritzed a little contact cleaner in the cluster connectors, put it all back in and now all the warning lights have disappeared. Clearly there is something wrong with that one bulb socket or something it connects to. The bulb holder is still there but with no bulb.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tracy,

The usual cause is of the faults you found the first time is the harness connectors not latching back in securely.

The bulbs run hot and I had all four bulb holders shwing signs of over heating on my 2005 XK8 so I replaced them all.

Changed cluster bulbs, now cluster is dead!-bulb.jpg

On another XK8 I found a damaged contact with a broken track that needed reflowing with solder.

Changed cluster bulbs, now cluster is dead!-instrument-pack.jpg

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

+1. It is very easy to put the connectors back and not seat them properly.

The trick is to rotate the locking handle and watch carefully that the connector is automatically DRAWN INWARD as it rotates home.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Tracy,

The usual cause is of the faults you found the first time is the harness connectors not latching back in securely.

The bulbs run hot and I had all four bulb holders shwing signs of over heating on my 2005 XK8 so I replaced them all.

Attachment 135281

On another XK8 I found a damaged contact with a broken track that needed reflowing with solder.

Attachment 135282

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

I can attest to this as well; Having just changed my bulbs as well and after putting everything back together - none of the instrument cluster bulbs came on, worse yet I couldn't even get the car started, the culprit was the black connector behind the trim on the instrument cluster, the plug is very sensitive, and I did't realize it wasn't plugged back in properly. I adjusted the connector back into the "housing" and everything came back on..