XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing clock time on NAV for 2003 xkr.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Changing clock time on NAV for 2003 xkr.

My apologies for such an inconsequential request.

I don't use the NAV system, but having the wrong time on my clock
is making me crazy.

Thanks for the help, guys. Ed.

The following users liked this post:
jcabacum (12-16-2013)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I am pretty sure the time itself comes from the GPS satellite but buried in the setup menus you can change your current time zone. Once you get that set to match your location then the time should be correct.

edtexas (04-09-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I am pretty sure the time itself comes from the GPS satellite but buried in the setup menus you can change your current time zone. Once you get that set to match your location then the time should be correct.
+1

Details in the Nav Handbook. If you don't have one you can download it from here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

Graham

edtexas (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, Graham. You're the coolest.

jamjax (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh I found the time zone menu for resetting time just fine the other day before I saw this post....but there is only GMT....and three time zones in the US....nothing about plus one GMT for Europe or anywhere else?

Any Ideas on the time adjust....some other way?

cheers,

jj

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by jamjax
Oh I found the time zone menu for resetting time just fine the other day before I saw this post....but there is only GMT....and three time zones in the US....nothing about plus one GMT for Europe or anywhere else?

Any Ideas on the time adjust....some other way?

cheers,

jj

jj,

I could just give you the answer but then you'd never learn to read the manual.

It's on page 3-9 of Navigation Handbook JJM 10 05 14 30. Tells you all about Summer Time.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-11-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Zones

First of all as a new "member", I'd just like to say that this is truly an amazing site and a great source of info - my thanks and congrats to the administrators and contributors.
I have owned a 1990 V-12 XJS for some time and just recently bought my wife a 2004 XK8 which she loves ( browny points galore here ). Both cars are beautiful vehicles of which we are very satisfied/proud owners, even with the overheating foibles of the XJS.
Unfortunately the XK8 is fitted with the SatNav system so doesn't have oil/battery gauges or a real clock, which I would have preferred. This wouldn't be so bad if the Jaguar engineers/designers had realised that there are actually more than four time zones in North America. We live in Atlantic Canada which is Eastern time +1 hour ( Newfoundland is 1/2 an hour further ahead - go figure ) so we can't get our time zone on the vehicle clock. Why would they do this (and I see they only have two time zones for Europe ) when the cars are sold all over the world?
Is there some way to override the system to get the clock to read our local time?

Thanks again for the great web site.

My apologies for the long winded post.

Cheers

Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I not know any way to change to options that are not there, but you might want to consider my conversion to the 3-gauge cluster at some point: XK8 / XKR Navigation to 3-Gauge Conversion - TheJagWrangler. Read the FAQ for all the details.

Taff-one (08-22-2013)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clock reset on navigation xk8 after battery reconnect

Help Please...In another thread I found the following quote listed below. I tried to reply to the thread but it was closed. I tried to contact Steve in France who was the author of the quote but his inbox was full and could not send message, finally I am posting here instead because apparently I am not allowed to start new threads either, so I tried to find a similar threat that was not closed. I apologize in advance if this is not the proper way to ask a question, I am still new at this.

"Hard Reset and things to do after a battery reconnect FAQ To do a hard reset disconnect the battery earth lead and hold the lead on the battery positive post for ten seconds.
When you reconnect the earth lead do so cleanly, don't dither.
Remember - if you need and don't have a radio security code you're in trouble.
What this does do
Resets ECM defaults including fuel trims
Resets many other electronic modules
What it doesn't do
Erase any programming (re-flashes etc)
Erase the transmission module adaptive learning.

After re-connect (applies to 4.2L engines)
Re-enter radio security codes if required.
With thanks to Graham, Derek and Red1bw
1. window limit reset
2. audio preset reset
3. clock reset
4. Idle reset
5. Kickdown limits
6. Drive cylce
7. Powerfold mirrors

1 to 4 and 6 are covered in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/at...connection-pdf

After battery reconnection, the engine management system must ‘re-learn’ the limits of throttle pedal travel.

5, setting WOT,covered in JTP939
Re-programming is done with the ignition switch in position II a follows:
Slowly press the accelerator pedal fully through the kickdown detent to the floor. Hold 5 seconds
Release the pedal and repeat the action.
7. Powerfold mirror reset (thanks to Plums- from JTIS)
Loss of power supplies will result in loss of mirror fold-back memory. In the event of such a memory loss with mirrors in the normal position, fold-back will operate on second movement of the toggle switch. On loss of memory with mirrors in the fold-back position, they will return to the normal position on next fold-back operation."

HERE IS MY QUESTION(S)
I'm not good at electrical, but I disconnected the black wire on the battery of my xk8 when I removed the seats to recover them before disengaging the electrical under the seats. Reconnected the battery and got the high idle which seemed to work itself out. Prob is the clock will not reset to the correct time. I have a navigation system. The nav manual says the clock gets its time from GPS, but apparently that is not the case as the clock remains several hours off after several days after the reconnect. When you say "To do a hard reset disconnect the battery earth lead and hold the lead on the battery positive post for ten seconds", what do you mean by earth lead? Is that the negative connection (black connection) that goes to the terminal because I was always taught that you can never touch the black and red together. So basically I am trying to figure out how to do this hard reset in order to get my clock working again. Everything else seems to work fine, my radio etc although I have no idea what anyone is talking about in regards to resetting window (I just push the button up and down to make the windows go up and down). Anyway, if someone would not mind to explain what is meant by earth lead to positive lead, I would be grateful. And what is the difference between "earth" and "ground"? My knowledge is confined to black connector is negative and red connector is positive and that is all I know. Thank-you in advance for your help. Christina (xk8 2001)

Is there an "I'm stupid about electrical" smilie?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by chriswrieden
Help Please...
Christina,

Earth = Ground.

We use the term 'earth' in the UK and you use 'ground' in the USA to mean the same thing.

Graham

Offshore-Angel (05-30-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Prob is the clock will not reset to the correct time. I have a navigation system. The nav manual says the clock gets its time from GPS, but apparently that is not the case as the clock remains several hours off after several days after the reconnect.
Try checking the time zone setting in the GPS settings menu.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Christina,

I'm not sure a hard reset will cure your time zone issue, but if you do choose to do one I think the safest way is to:

- remove the key from the ignition, leaving at least one door open in case you need cabin access before the battery is reconnected.
- loosen the nut and disconnect the (black) cable from the negative battery post (this is the short cable that goes directly to a bolt on the inside of the trunk right near the battery, i.e., the "ground" cable).
- then loosen the nut and disconnect the (red) cable from the positive battery post.
- hold the now unattached ends of the red and black cables together for 30 seconds. No battery involved here.
- reconnect the red/positive cable to the positive battery post and tighten the nut.
- reconnect the black/negative cable to the negative battery post (don't dither) and tighten the nut.

Then you will need to reprogram at least the window excursions and possibly other stuff as per Steve's post.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

If the minutes are right and the hours are off then it's just the time zone setting in the Nav menu.

Having the battery disconnected for hours will have much the same effect as a hard reset, and my experience is that the time zone does indeed need reset afterward.

The touching the ground lead on the car to the + post on the battery just discharges the residual energy in the system faster.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Not at home to check my car but I had a similar issue with my clock and time zone issues. I'm in Hawaii which is GMT +10 with no day light saving time. So I used, I think, EU central time and +1 for summer time and my clock now reads correctly year round. GGG helped me figure this out. The clock does not care if it's AM or PM.

Experiment with the setting available and see if you can get the correct time for your time zone.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JagNoir
Hi Christina,

I'm not sure a hard reset will cure your time zone issue, but if you do choose to do one I think the safest way is to:

- remove the key from the ignition, leaving at least one door open in case you need cabin access before the battery is reconnected.
- loosen the nut and disconnect the (black) cable from the negative battery post (this is the short cable that goes directly to a bolt on the inside of the trunk right near the battery, i.e., the "ground" cable).
- then loosen the nut and disconnect the (red) cable from the positive battery post.
- hold the now unattached ends of the red and black cables together for 30 seconds. No battery involved here.
- reconnect the red/positive cable to the positive battery post and tighten the nut.
- reconnect the black/negative cable to the negative battery post (don't dither) and tighten the nut.

Then you will need to reprogram at least the window excursions and possibly other stuff as per Steve's post.

Good luck!
Thank-you JagNoir, that clarifies it for me.
It is not a time zone issue, I'm set to Eastern time zone and summer time. It's off by the minutes as well. For some reason its not picking up the time from the GPS like its supposed to. If leaving the battery disconnected for a few days is the equivalent to a hard restart as was suggested by a poster, then I may have to look for another solution to resetting the clock to the correct time.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thank-you JagNoir, that clarifies it for me.
It is not a time zone issue, I'm set to Eastern time zone and summer time. It's off by the minutes as well. For some reason its not picking up the time from the GPS like its supposed to. If leaving the battery disconnected for a few days is the equivalent to a hard restart as was suggested by a poster, then I may have to look for another solution to resetting the clock to the correct time.
Are you driving the car? If it is in a garage it likely will not see the GPS satellites.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Are you driving the car? If it is in a garage it likely will not see the GPS satellites.
Yes, I am driving the car, and it's not picking up the time from GPS.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I am driving the car, and it's not picking up the time from GPS.
Try to set a destination on your navigation system and see if it is working.

Offshore-Angel (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Might there by anything blocking the antenna? A new top cover or window tint or anything that might have changed recently?

I was laying dynamat in my car can covered it up accidentally. The Nav system did not like that one bit. Similar symptoms, clock was wrong and couldn't acquire the satellites.

Offshore-Angel (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Might there by anything blocking the antenna? A new top cover or window tint or anything that might have changed recently?

I was laying dynamat in my car can covered it up accidentally. The Nav system did not like that one bit. Similar symptoms, clock was wrong and couldn't acquire the satellites.

Thanks-I'll check into that.