Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheer me up, please! Horrible dashboard instrument lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Cheer me up, please! Horrible dashboard instrument lighting problem

This is the story.

I succeeded in destroying my IC by putting a voltage spike in it (I know, I know, disconnect etc...) This was sent off to a UK firm and replaced. This is the thread, and you can see what happened in my post of the current date (which is my last post to that thread, at the time of writing this) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rt-car-183347/

It was replaced by them an XK8 unit and not an XKR unit but, despite this, it seemed to work ok when I installed it today, and pretty well everything works. However, since then there has been a major glitch in the instrument panel lighting. All warning lights are ok - I am referring to the dial lights.

With ignition on and engine off, only one light appears to come on, partially illuminating the left side of the tacho. That light can not have its brightness altered at all. A second or two after starting the engine, even that light goes out, and remains so; I wonder whether this may be in some way linked to increased voltage. Incidentally, I thought I may have heard a relay-like 'click' once, as the lights went out, but I'm not sure.

So, it's a mystery. All fuses - left and right dash, bonnet and trunk - were tested and ok. Can anyone (forgive me for this) throw any light on cause and cure? Is my expensive IC faulty? Is it the bulbs? Is it an evil spirit?

Last edited by Diddion; 06-17-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

So yours hasn't been repaired - the repair co. has sent you back a totally different unit for the wrong vehicle???

Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Yep. They said they were going to replace the board - and had it sent over from Germany. It is at least 3 years older than the original. They did transfer the mileage across. I am totally peeved!!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Diddion
They did transfer the mileage across. I am totally peeved!!
All things are possible, but the mileage normally stays with the IC, from what I understand.
Not acceptable, IMO, and muddies the waters. Background lighting can probably be sorted, but hey - this is supposed to be a repaired unit.

I'd be looking for my money and my old IC back. I see less in what the repair co. has returned (and charged you for) than the unit you have from Ebay?

Not fit for purpose.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Michael - you know, you're right. I don't know what, if anything, they did - but they certainly have the technology to transfer mileage readings across. It came back with the correct mileage. I sent it off for repair, not wholesale replacement. Even if it was working perfectly, the fact that it was exchanged for an earlier unit is not exactly impressive. And it cost a HUGE amount of money. I paid (hold your breath), £176 plus vat for the repair, AND a further £60 for the part: virtually £300 all in. However, nothing was repaired. Also, I have just noticed, the invoice says 'Jaguar X-Type Instrument Cluster Repair.' which, of course, is not what I sent.

I think I shall start making waves on Monday, but will start off with a call to Trading Standards to check my rights.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Diddion, sorry about your headache. If not too much trouble please post the name of the company so others dont get burned. John