XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome rim bbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default chrome rim bbs

drove too close to the kerb and lightley marked my outer rim on my paris wheels..the question is ..has anyone polished these marks out?..they are £120 plus fitting that makes the replacement out of the question..maybe some wet and dry paper then a polishing mop..just an idea..help please
poor photo due to reflection..you can see part of the scratch where the rim meets the tyre

Attached Thumbnails chrome rim bbs-img_0533.jpg  

Last edited by dennisw; 01-10-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: photo
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisw
drove too close to the kerb and lightley marked my outer rim on my paris wheels..the question is ..has anyone polished these marks out?..they are £120 plus fitting that makes the replacement out of the question..maybe some wet and dry paper then a polishing mop..just an idea..help please
poor photo due to reflection..you can see part of the scratch where the rim meets the tyre
Ouch - I can feel the pain.

I've Sepangs on mine which are a similar construction. The rear ones are perfect chrome outer rims but the fronts must have been polished as they have no chrome on them and look to be stainless steel.

This means they don't match and, like you I've looked at replacement rings (the cheapest I can find is £115 supplied or £200 fitted). These are described as chromed stainless steel.

You should be able to polish the ring but would have to do it all and it will look noticeably different from the rest.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh!!! We all dread doing this.Doesn't look too bad, I would try polishing it and see how it looks.Would "Brasso" be worth a try after smoothing with wet/dry.

Hope it works Al

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a Montreal where the ring got bent up due to my stupidity. The wheel was replaced but the original is otherwise perfect except for the ring. I called a local wheel repair shop that I have used in the past (they do magical work) and asked about replacing the ring. The guy I spoke with said he has done lots of these types of wheels and STRONGLY recommended to just remove the ring and polish up the the portion of the wheel that the ring covers. He said you could barely tell the difference and you have much less problems than disassembling and reassembling the wheel to install a new ring. Apparently it is very common for tires not to hold air well unless the process is done perfectly.

Doug

Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have got rid of similar...... Get some 400 wet n dry and start rubbing, when you have got most of the marks out, go to 1000, after that use some autosol to polish, all this is done without removing the tyre

Good luck

Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
. The guy I spoke with said he has done lots of these types of wheels and STRONGLY recommended to just remove the ring and polish up the the portion of the wheel that the ring covers. He said you could barely tell the difference and you have much less problems than disassembling and reassembling the wheel to install a new ring.

I thought I would chime in on this part seperately as I have now had some long term experience.

I did this to a set of wheels 4 years ago in the days the trims were some what more expensive than now, wont deny they looked well, the problem you have is you leave a very slight gap between the wheel centre and the drum, over a period of time water and road salt has managed to get in.

What I did do was grease between the 2 parts before I assembled the parts as a form of some kind of protection, I guess again over some time the centrifugal forces have thrown the grease out. But here's the rub..... the drum and centre started corroding, and almost glued themselves together making it very difficult to seperate the 2 parts, I managed to get all the bolts out OK, but seperating was a serious PITA.

What some other guys have done is have the drum painted to a bright silver finish, again looks good, but you still have that gap, I guess you could silicone it up, still would make it awkward to seperate if need be but better and easier than corrosion.

Another thing to be clear on, if anyone does go for the paint idea make sure who ever does it does not paint the mating faces, I have come across this a few times where people have been too lazy to mask up, this will cause your wheel to be out of balance, give you steering wobble and vibrations.

HTH

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I have got rid of similar...... Get some 400 wet n dry and start rubbing, when you have got most of the marks out, go to 1000, after that use some autosol to polish, all this is done without removing the tyre

Good luck
just tries about 2 inches with wet and dry 1200 then polished with autosol with good results..will remove wheel from car thursday take into my workshop and do it all...will take photoes for interest
may thanks
Dennis

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisw
just tries about 2 inches with wet and dry 1200 then polished with autosol with good results..will remove wheel from car thursday take into my workshop and do it all...will take photoes for interest
may thanks
Dennis
Dennis,

Bet you're a lot happier than you were yesterday

Does the shine on the test section you've done look good enough to leave "as is" or are you considering finishing with clearcoat?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Dennis,

Bet you're a lot happier than you were yesterday

Does the shine on the test section you've done look good enough to leave "as is" or are you considering finishing with clearcoat?
I was worse than not happy but you can be sure it will happen again sooner or later.the wheels had a few marks on them when i got the car.but the passenger side..nearside front had some marks ..must add not many would be botherd by them..you had to look close to see them..anyway Today i had a go and my small efford were good so tommorow i will take the wheel of and do the rest and if it looks good i will be well pleased..will post pics ..why do we care so much about our jags? ..its only a car
all the best
Dennis

Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"..why do we care so much about our jags? ..its only a car"

They are part of the Family...

A Chevy is just a car,,, A Ford is just a car,,,

A Jaguar is a piece of ART to be loved and cherished,,, Admired and longed for... but that is just my MHO...