XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning ECM contacts and grounds

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Cleaning ECM contacts and grounds

I've seen a reference somewhere on the forum for the procedure to clean the ECM plug(s?) and ground contacts but despite searching I just can't find the post.Can anyone point me in the right direction,or tell me how it's done?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the lift out cover at the right rear of the engine compartment. If it's the same as my '97 there is a split cover with torx screws. You only need to remove the 4 screws for the front portion. Use a magnetic bit holder so you don't drop the screws. The cover will come out with a little effort.
The TCU is at the front of the box.Lift it out and remove the connecter. Then remove the connections to the ECU and pull that out. Clean with CRC contact cleaner or equivalent. Clean TCU connections also and reassemble. In front of the ECU box there is a positive cable connection on the outside of the fuse box, and a ground just in front of the fuse box.
There are other ground connections around the car. The JTIS will point them out.
RJ

Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the lift out cover at the right rear of the engine compartment. If it's the same as my '97 there is a split cover with torx screws. You only need to remove the 4 screws for the front portion. Use a magnetic bit holder so you don't drop the screws. The cover will come out with a little effort.
The TCU is at the front of the box.Lift it out and remove the connecter. Then remove the connections to the ECU and pull that out. Clean with CRC contact cleaner or equivalent. Clean TCU connections also and reassemble. In front of the ECU box there is a positive cable connection on the outside of the fuse box, and a ground just in front of the fuse box.
There are other ground connections around the car. The JTIS will point them out.
RJ
Many thanks,RJ237 - this forum is so useful. I could never afford to indulge my automotive masochism(i.e.owning an old Jag) without all the technical help :0)