XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Headliner in Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Cleaning Headliner in Conv.

Does anyone have a good method of cleaning stains on the headliners in our convertibles? I've tried a shampoo at the local power wash places and it didn't even seem to touch them. I was thinking about removing it and putting it the washer, let it air dry and replace.

Has anyone ever removed the headliner?

I have to admit I haven't looked yet to se how it's fastened but I thought I'd ask first.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Jaguar recommends alcohol. If you remove it to be cleaned, I would recommend a local dry cleaner. Washing it may ruin it. Let us know what you do.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I had some discoloration in a couple of spots in the rear of the car, near the rear window. I sprayed some "Oxygen Orange All Purpose Degreaser & Spot Remover" that I got at WalMart and it cleaned it right up and did not damage the liner. (I had wiped a small area with it to test it first) It worked on mine, but you may have a more persistent stain. I would try a few gentle methods before removing the entire headliner, if I were you. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Up front seems to be mostly road grime from the previous owner not using the cover, but I also have an orangish discoloration by the rear windows on both sides. I try the cleaner first, thanks for the recomendation.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Surprisingly, the alcohol recommended by Jaguar does an excellent job. Guess it is like dry cleaning. I think the yellow stain common on the convertible headliner is bleed through from the rubber membrane between the liner and the canvas top.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default It's also important...

To clean top and water proof it. I do mine once a year.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The orange staining is definitely from the thin foam-backing disintegrating. I have the same problem with my '01. I used rubbing alcohol in a mister and it lightened the stain quite a bit (and spread it a tad). But it will come back as the foam backing continues to disintegrate. If you look at the inside edge where it's sewn you can see the orange backing and if you touch it, it is sticky and crumbly.

I have been investigating replacing the headliner and there seem to be several places on-line that sell replacements (some reasonably priced, some not so much). Either way, it looks like a replacement needs to be professionally installed for the best results.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The headliner in my 01 convertible is dirty too and nothing seems to shift. I have not, however, tried alcohol.
Dumb question, but I am assuming we are not talking about spraying beer on the headliner are we? Where do you buy alcohol for this job (in the UK).

Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Rubbing alcohol, isopropyl usually at the grocery or pharmacist, don't drink these. 100% grain alcohol but very expensive.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The only permanent solution to the deteriorating foam is replacement. I did it myself and got good results, but it was a fairly involved job that required a lot of patience, some heavy duty sewing (did it by hand with a sewing awl), a pop-rivet tool (these are inexpensive), drilling out old rivets, crouching for long periods in uncomfortable postions, and some photo documentation of how the old one came apart. Usually the A-pillars and the header above the windshield are also deteriorated, and those should be done at the same time with heavy duty headliner adhesive. (while you are up there in the header, it is a good time to also inspect your latch hoses for deterioration).

Also, I found out that 2001 was a transition year from two piece to one piece headliners. Early builds are two peice, later builds are one piece...you need to identify this before you order a replacement on a 2001.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 AM

thanks for the advice guys, I use a product that was called purple power that I got for my local autozone. It got rid of the road grime that bothered me most cause it was up front and very visible. It's a concentrated degreaser so per the recommendation of the sales guy, I cut it at a 5:1 ratio with water (5 parts water) and applied by hand using a sponge.

As for the orangish stains it didn't seem to do much as it's a degreaser. I'll have to try the alc on that.

Did get the ragg topp system and applied that to clean and water proof top, so I hope that helps slow the deterioration.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have had very good luck with Blue Coral Upholstery Cleaner. I have yet to find something it won't clean.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Is it hard to remove and put back on the headliner?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Removing and replacing the convertible headliner is a serious project. See my post #10 in this thread. If you have never done it before it can take several hours and requires drilling out and replacing pop rivets and a lot of care. In my opinion, it is only worth doing if you are replacing the headliner and take the time to photograph how the old one comes apart. If you do not get your replacement from the dealer, there may be sewing of the plastic bits into the new headliner also involved. If you are not confident in your abilities, have it done professionally and save a lot of grief.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Never thought of alcohol - bottle's usually empty by the time I get to the garage. I found that "Woolite Heavy Traffic" rug and upholstery cleaner works well. It's a big blue spray can, kinda like a super sized paint spray can, that emits a dense foam. All you have to do is spray it on, wait until it dries, and vacuum if the residue fails to fly off by itself. You can massage the foam with your fingers on stubborn stains for better results. I've used it on bird and tree droppings on the canvas roof and it worked well there, too. I've found it to be safe for a variety of fabric types around the house (no stains), but I suggest you test first just in case.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cleaning Headliner

The process I used was to leave the top up and first spot clean the worst areas by hand using isopropyl alcohol on a clean microfiber towel until it looks as clean as the surrounding areas. You may need to change the towel frequently for a new clean one if the accumulated soot is particularly nasty.

I bought a hand steamer vacuum called a Vapamore MR-50 for $150 USD at Amazon and did a modification to the internal circuitry adding a toggle switch so the the steam generator and vacuum operate at the same time. Use a mixture of half IPA and water in the unit reservoir to do the final cleanup over the entire surface of the most forward fabric panels (they tend to get the sootiest) and you're good as new.

-vanremog

Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a product called "Spot Shot" I bought at Sam's Club. I found the best way to clean the liner is to spray the cleaner on a piece of terry cloth towel and wipe the area lightly. Do not spray the cleaner directly on the liner. This cleaner also works great on any carpet stains. When you clean the carpets follow the cans direction.

I think you would be asking for trouble by taking the liner out yourself. If it is that bad, buy a new one and have it installed by a professional. I plan to do both my liner and top at the same time. I almost always have my top open so it might be a long time before I replace it. Good luck with it as you have some good suggestions from the members.

Bill N
03 XKR vert

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I wish a company made an OEM grade replacement. I've been thinking about redoing the headliner in black, but the quote I received was way too much.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I used blue coral upholstry cleaner. You have to rinse it well with clear water or it'll spot. I'llm try alcohol next time.