XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning out previous mess in sump!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts
Default cleaning out previous mess in sump!!

had some work done (ac checked/recharged, replace timing cover gasket, valve cover seals, serpentine idler pulley/tensioner - secondary tensioners were done prior to my purchase) this week while I was out of town. Picked the car up Thursday - drove like a charm but then Friday all hell broke loose.

Heading into work - received battery not charging message along with low oil pressure/coolant levels - immediately pulled over, shut her down and called tow.

the found a loose bracket to crank pulley - fixed and ready to go

picked her up heading home about a mile from the shop - stopped at a light - low oil pressure warning and gauge drops into red but clears as I accelerate after light changes - call shop and return.

had them drop the oil pan and found a mess - looks like whomever changed the secondary tensioners to 3rd gen never cleaned out the sump

Attached Thumbnails cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-img_20170630_154844.jpg   cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-img_20170630_154902.jpg   cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-img_20170630_154911.jpg   cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-img_20170630_155241.jpg  

Last edited by sklimii; 07-02-2017 at 07:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
GGG (07-03-2017), Norri (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

I hope this week is less eventful for you!

Graham

Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM

me too! I consider myself lucky that it took 5 years and 76000 miles added to her already aged 91K for this to show up bit it is a quick/relatively painless fix. Although I like the indie's XJ8 loaner, can't wait to get the XK8 back tomorrow for many more enjoyable miles

Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default A sad beginning with a very good ending.

When I first got the car, I did the tensioners and discovered the engine internals were caked with baked on oil deposits. So I dropped the bottom pan it looked like the La Brea Tar Pits. My car was a 2 year lease vehicle, and I am guessing that the oil had not been changed by anyone for the first three or four years! The car did not burn oil or use any between changes but I knew it was not a good thing to have that much gunk in the internals. Iook and the camshaft cap in the first pic!!

At that time I began a regimen of internal cleaning. First I scrapped what I could off the surfaces, and washed it down with kerosene. I was amazed hat how much was carried through down the large oil galleys onto the garage floor. I was extremely worried about clogging pressurized passageways, but did my best to keep them free and clear of debris.

Then I buttoned her up and washed the internals by using an 50;50 mix of ATF and Rotex [diesel oil] running in the engine for about a half hour, then dumping it. Repeated this about four or five times till the oil began to clear. After that, before every oil change, I used a detergent flush for five minutes, then dump the oil. I did this for about four years.

What surprised me was how quickly the engine reinvigorated. The VVT passageways cleared up pretty quickly, and instead of waiting three or four minutes for the hot oil to pressurize, they snapped into action almost immediately. After about two years, or maybe 5000 miles, the engine began to pick up power and responsiveness. In a sad way, it was nice to see the engine get better with age. ;-)

I've had the car ten years now, and it runs great. I can peer down into the oil filler cap and see the shinny clean valve train smiling back at me.

Attached Thumbnails cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-gunk..valvetrain.jpg   cleaning out previous mess in sump!!-tensioners-gunk-002.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
fmertz (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 04:22 PM

hoping I get several more years out of her as well - she is a blast to drive