XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click-click-clickclickclickclickety-click

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Click-click-clickclickclickclickety-click

Sounds exactly like metal on pavement coming from right rear tire area, clicks at exactly the same place as the tire rotates, forward or reverse, speeds up with increased mph or slower even to a crawl brakes on or off. I thought I had a metal screw or something sticking out of the tread but don't find it. Uh oh. I think I remember the same thing happening to my Titan just before I got new tires then it went away with the new rubber. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Check your universal joints. You have two on each rear axel.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

And they have grease fittings . . .

Old 09-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by test point
And they have grease fittings . . .
Thanks guys. I'll grab a gun and see what's what. But I bought the new Hankook v12's today anyway...just in case.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Default Click Solved

Put on the new S. Korean sticky sneaks today and in the process discovered the click. After the new rubber was installed the click moved to the left side rear from the right side rear. Discount Tire guy must have switched the wheels and now the bad one is on the left.

It's a 20 X 10 two piece BBS "Detroit" wheel optional on the '03 XKR and sometime in the past it hit a pretty big bump and dented the outer ring. It's got to be the fitment between the barrel and the ring causing the commotion. It's very annoying.

I wonder if the dealership can get this fixed?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

...and very expensive to repair. You got a pebble in the ring perhaps?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I wish it were a pebble! You can see that the ring is bent just a bit on one spot. The driver probably hit a pot hole hard. It holds air just fine and really the dent isn't too noticible but what's strange is the click took about 50 miles to appear after I took delivery of the car. I don't know, gotta do something even if it costs real money.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

sorry, wrong thread!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:37 AM

Found a thread where Brutal explains the facts of life and two piece Jaguar BBS wheel repair.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32389

Brutal, if you're out there, who in Houston can you recommend that can do that remove the trim ring and polish the wheel trick?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I-RIGHT, could it possibly be one of the 2 piece lug nuts? There is alot of problems with the clickities on our S Types. In all everyone that went to an aftermarket solid lug doesn't have the clickities anymore. Just a thought. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Two piece lug nut??? Heck, I don't know, can't see them since they are recessed way inside the wheel. I doubt I've got those but I'll take a look see next time I have them off. I'm pretty sure my issue is with that ring though.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

clicking two-piece nuts are evident over cracks in the pavement...you should have them.

on normal wheel rotation, our lug nuts do not make any noises.

Save a search on ebay for your 20" BBS, maybe you'll get lucky and only spend a few c-notes (wishful thinking...)

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Well, thanks again for the insight into the Jaguar lug nut issue. It seems like some of the guys don't think much of the two piece design. I guess I don't blame them. I can't even see my lug nuts without getting down on all fours and using a flash light but at least now I know what to listen for at some point down the road.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32510

Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!!!!!

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can answer with some needed info, especially I-RIGHT-I.

I have some old 3-piece BBS RS wheels and one of them is making the same clicking sound as the wheel rolls. I-RIGHT-I, if you are reading this, I need to discuss this with you to see if my issue is the same or very closely related.

If anyone else can help, I would like to be able to PM or email I-RIGHT-I, and also conduct a direct discussion with others, but I cannot PM yet as I understand the forum rules. I can be emailed through the forum (I have it enabled) but I don't know how this works. If I need to post my email address here, let me know.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mo713
Help!!!!!

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can answer with some needed info, especially I-RIGHT-I.

I have some old 3-piece BBS RS wheels and one of them is making the same clicking sound as the wheel rolls. I-RIGHT-I, if you are reading this, I need to discuss this with you to see if my issue is the same or very closely related.

If anyone else can help, I would like to be able to PM or email I-RIGHT-I, and also conduct a direct discussion with others, but I cannot PM yet as I understand the forum rules. I can be emailed through the forum (I have it enabled) but I don't know how this works. If I need to post my email address here, let me know.

Hello Mo!

The chrome ring around my left rear Detroit had a couple of dimples in it and since it is a ring and prone to flex I assumed the reason the click occurred every rotation in the same spot was due to the ring.

I was right. It was a very pronounced metallic click and replacing the ring took care of the problem.

I shipped the entire wheel sans tire to one of the sponsors of this site and for about $400 including UPS charges it was fixed and returned in about two weeks total.

Land Rover Parts | Jaguar Parts | Coventry West, Inc.

Some of the guys around here have done this themselves and make it sound easy but the entire wheel has to come apart and from what I had read about it and the possibility of breaking those special bolts in the process I decided to pay the money.

I found an email.
Dick Maury can help you if the ring is the problem.

dick@coventrywest.com

If you have any other questions just ax me as these threads go to my email.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for these links and histories.

This has just convinced me to buy a set of new Oyster colored Detroits I know of for about $1,800.

Would prefer silver and will keep looking but if the darn rings cost a $1,000 a set and the wheels can be messed up just from mounting and balancing them with problems with the valve stem holes....I better have a back up set even if I don't mount winter tires on them.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I-RIGHT-I, thanks so much for the speedy reply. Actually I wonder if I can discuss this problem with you over the phone for a few mins. I happen to be in Houston also . This would be easier since descriptions of sounds and scenarios is much easier with an interactive dialogue. And since you did a lot of the leg work and learned about the dead ends, it would save me from the false starts, and maybe even mis-identifying the issue. If you can reach my private email from my profile, go ahead and contact me that way, or if not I can post my email here and we can get in touch. Assuming of course that you are agreeable...

Thanks again!
Mo

Old 12-20-2011, 04:22 PM

I don't know how much help I'd be but sure, I'll give you a call. Email me at I-RIGHT-I@ivotedforbush.com and let me know your number and when you'd have a few minutes.