XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

code p0117 & p1111 engine light & coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default code p0117 & p1111 engine light & coolant temp

Just got these two codes while I was pushing the car hard doing 0-60 times. €&%$&&! Well, I noticed the temp gauge isn't working anymore so I'm guessing the sensor is out ans this is the reason for.the p0117 code. Can anyone confirm this? The p1111 is probably due to ecm so I guess ill have it rebuilt. Am I on the right track anyone?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

P0117 is high voltage at the coolant temperature sensor, telling the ECM that the coolant temperature is LOW. First check...make sure the coolant temperature sensor is soundly connected. When they work a bit loose, weird things can happen. Maybe pushing the car loosened the connection. The coolant temperature sensor and plug are near the thermostat at the top front. Unplug it, maybe clean the connectors, and plug it in firmly. If you're still getting strange readings there, the sensor is probably bad.

Don't worry about P1111...that's just the code saying that a complete drive cycle has been done since the last reset. This reads as a P1000 when a complete drive cycle has not been reached yet. Never worry about P1000 or P1111.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
lunaticpro (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM

Thanks Coupe! Your insight is most appreciated. I will check this today and update the results. If it ends up being the sensor, Im hoping it is not that costly but Im thinking it is just loose cause I just had the thermostat housing changed.. Thanks again...

Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Default right on

Coupe - your were extactly right. The sensor plastic tab where it snaps to the thermostat housing had broken and the connection had fallen off. As soon as I put electrical tape, the car turned on without any problems.

Unfortunately I got into another problem. I hit a pigeon this morning and it must have caused a short cause my lights began to flicker and my battery gauge is not working. The windows dont roll down and the all kinds of lights are turning on on the dash.

Towing it to the shop today to find out what it is. Thanks for the insight Coupe - you know your $h!t...

Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

You may just have an unrelated battery problem, or need a reset.

As the batteries in these cars get low on voltage, all sorts of weird behavior comes out through the electronics. Often replacing the battery solves multiple problems.

Before you tow (or buy a new battery), do a hard reset.

HARD RESET PROCEDURE:

1. Ignition OFF.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3. Turn key to ignition ON position.

4. Touch disconnected wire from NEGATIVE terminal of battery to the still-connected POSITIVE terminal for 15 seconds or so.

4. Turn ignition back OFF.

5. Reconnect wire to NEGATIVE terminal of battery.

Then start her up and see if things are better. But as above, you need to make sure your battery is at FULL STRENGTH.

Note that anytime you disconnect the battery, you must reprogram the windows. With the doors closed, raise each window to the top and continue to hold button until you hear a faint "click," about an additional 3 seconds. Then lower each window to the bottom and continue to hold the button until you hear the same "click." Voila, you've reprogrammed the windows.

Again, I would try this before you tow. Could save you big bucks.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
P0117 is high voltage at the coolant temperature sensor, telling the ECM that the coolant temperature is LOW. First check...make sure the coolant temperature sensor is soundly connected. When they work a bit loose, weird things can happen. Maybe pushing the car loosened the connection. The coolant temperature sensor and plug are near the thermostat at the top front. Unplug it, maybe clean the connectors, and plug it in firmly. If you're still getting strange readings there, the sensor is probably bad.

Don't worry about P1111...that's just the code saying that a complete drive cycle has been done since the last reset. This reads as a P1000 when a complete drive cycle has not been reached yet. Never worry about P1000 or P1111.

Good luck.

I had P0117 and P1000 codes. Exact same problem, Temp sensor was very loose and apparently wiggled out upon rapid acceleration. Pushed tight and applied hi-temp elec. tape to prevent future issues. Thanks for message.