Sponsored by:

Computer Display Back-Lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Computer Display Back-Lighting?

Hi Guys,

Every once in while when it's really hot out and I've been on the road a while, the computer display in my speedo will wink out for a while. I can still see the LED segments, so I know the display is working; it must just be a failure of the back light(s).

Because this only happens when it's hot out and I can make the display reappear rather quickly just by turning on the AC (I rarely use it), the failure is obviously heat related. Expansion of the board might temporarily open a loose bulb solder joint or a cracked circuit board trace. Because the display will return on its own even without the AC (it just takes longer) the bulb itself must provide a component of the heat necessary for failure, and leads me to believe I either need to re-solder the bulb's socket, replace the bulb(s), or probably both.

Before I take the binnacle out, I'd love to get a better feel for what I'll be facing.

Would someone be able to point out exactly which bulb(s) illuminates the display? A couple of photos would of course save a few thousand words. ;-)

Thanks in advance - Jim

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

The lamp for the computer is the lowest, central one - the smaller of the two sizes. Remove by 1/4 turn anticlockwise.

The bulb used for the computer is the same size as those used for the direction indicators and the main beam light. It might be worth checking the brass connectors on the lamp holder, perhaps cleaning it with fine sandpaper, and bending it out a little to improve the contact. You could also try swapping it with one of the others - no need for any disassembly or soldering at this point.

But if you do want to take it all to pieces, this is a disassembled cluster. To get here you need a 'star' screwdriver, and you need to pull out both the red connector to the display, and the four ribbon cable connectors which push into sockets on the main board - I gently ease them up and out of their sockets with small snipe-nosed pliers or a pair of forceps.

Don't do what I did. Before touching the connectors to the instrument cluster (either one black/one yellow, or two black) make sure you have disconnected the battery, and don't reconnect the battery until the connectors are safely back in place. Otherwise grief and destruction may follow!

Last edited by Diddion; 07-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dsd (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Oh Crap, .... Could it be ANY easier? I should have just pulled the binnacle (.....groan)

THANKS DIDDION! And Thanks for the warning too - lol. Wii do.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Pleasure! Just to clarify the warning: make sure the battery is always disconnected at the point of removing or replacing the connectors.