XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running Barum Bravuris tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Is anyone running Barum Bravuris tires?

I had read some good reviews on these value tires available at Discount Tires. I would like to hear comments from anyone having experience running them on their XK8/XKR. Barum's parent company is Continental. I do not put many miles on my tires and see the value in replacing them based on age instead of mileage.
Many thanks

Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Yes - I have them - after lots of research they seemed to represent a good balance between cost and quality. Also - available in both front and rear sizes which is not always the case.
As you say - made by Continental, so a decent "pedigree".

I'm not an aggressive driver, so can't comment too much about whether they let go at 120mph or still stick up to 150mph but wear after a year or so seems OK and I have driven in both wet and dry conditions and felt perfectly safe at "normal" speeds.

The following users liked this post:
Dr. D (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

If you decide to pull the trigger on these Barum tires (I assume they are the Bravuris 3HM), keep us posted on your opinion of them as the tires age and the tread wears. The price is appealing as is the fact that Barum is owned by Continental....

I still like the Yokohama YK580 tires that I have been running on my wife's 2006 XK8 since we acquired it back in 2012, but if these Barum tires can deliver equivalent wet-weather handling and treadwear to the Yokohamas at a significantly lower price, I would be willing to give them a try....

Dr. D (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the replies:
Although D. T. has tried to upsell me, my intent is to go ahead and pull the trigger to give these a try.
Yes, they are the Bravuris 3HM staggered. I am not an aggressive driver, but I do appreciate vehicles with a little kick. I try to avoid wet weather driving, but I do get caught during road trips from time to time. I would not expect tire wear to rival the YK580's, but they do have a 40k mile warranty.
Currently, I am running summer Goodyear F1's (Y speed rating) with over 18,000mi.
I do not mind being a guinea pig, and will post any findings. Again thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

What reasons are Discount Tire giving you to attempt to move you to a different tire? Do they cite any customers who have tried the Barums and been displeased with them?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
What reasons are Discount Tire giving you to attempt to move you to a different tire? Do they cite any customers who have tried the Barums and been displeased with them?
Howdy Jon:
I should have expressed that this was only one sales associate (and should not represent DT as a whole) that when he brought it up on his computer, it showed OER as Pirelli P Zero's ($1000+). A flag went up as I had full paperwork from Leith in Cary and that they showed a Continental replacement which was running when I bought the car. He then went on to say that this tire was OK for a car such as a Maxima, but inferior for an upscale car such as mine. Let me note that he did not refuse to order these tires, but since I am not in a "have to" situation, I decided to take it to this forum first.
Contrary to customers being displeased, I had seen reviews of pleased customers of "X" & "XJ" types and even a Pontiac G8 owner.

Jon89 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

The store manager and most of his staff at my local Discount Tire store know me by name when I walk through their door. They also know that I have already done extensive research on any tires that I happen to inquire about and know better than to try to upsell me. I always welcome my store manager's experiences and opinions regarding pros and cons but he fully realizes that the final decision is solely mine. I appreciate that approach and because he always works his best deal with me regardless of which set of tires I opt for, I am a long-time customer there....

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile

Dr. D
Several months ago, I busted the Rt. Front Connie 235/35-20 DW and couldn't find one in Houston at the time. The Discount Tire Guy told me that the Berum Brravuris 3HM is a $90.00 Tire and is the same tire as the Continental DW that sells for $205.00. I drove on the Barum for several months before the matching Connie came in...Personally, I couldn't tell the difference.....No noise, no pulling, as he said, same Tire...I switch back to the Connie because they didn't make the Barum for the Rear (285/30-20). I don't know if that is still true, as I haven't needed any new Rubber for a while...

I like to put the DW's on the Front and the DWS's on the Rear because of the Tread Pattern. Just me....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Dr. D (07-08-2017)