XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible latch opens too slowly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible latch opens too slowly

Thanks all for the great threads on convertible systems and for simply a great forum.

I have gone through much of the advice to try and isolate my small challenge, top not opening.

- In the top up position; I topped up the reservoir with CHF 11s, I closed the top(top down) manually, I then tried to open the top and though the pump was running nothing happened.

- I then unscrewed the cover over the front mechanism to clean the latch and movable parts that secure the top in the down position. I then tried putting the top up(open) but nothing happened except I could hear the pump running. I released the pressure in the system and then helped along the the opening procedure by manually releasing the latch with the Allen key just far enough so that the pump would take over, and then it worked.

- So, by unlatching the mechanism with the A.key so that it opened the top a little, the pump was then able to open the top completely.

Here is my summary observation; fluid level is good, top opens with a little help but closes correctly and windows reset normally. It seems that there is less strength to release the latch for some reason even after I have lubricated the necessary parts.

Question; does anyone have a reason or thought why the opening of the latch is slow or not happening?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Unless you know that the fluid was upgraded, your system will needs to be flushed of the older fluid used in '98 because it thickens and inhibits proper operation with age. Then refill with CHF-11S.