XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible top fluid leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top fluid leaking

Today when my wife tried lowering the top on our 01 XKR, hydralic fluid started pouring out of the top console, thru the screened area. Based on her description I presume that the hose cracked or rutured in that area.

I called the Jag dealer and they thought that same thingthey gave me an estimate of $1300-1400. Is this a dealer only fix or can I replace?? I realize that I have to remove a lot of coverings to get to the hoses.

Does anyone have the instructions to replace so I can get an idea of the labor involved??

this really sucksany advice is appreciated

gary

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default RE: convertible top fluid leaking

Common problem. Jaguar should put the repair instructions in the owner's manual.

Two solutions, repair kit costs about $200 takes about 3 hours . . . the first time.

Full hose replacement requires removing seats and carpets and takes about 8 hours and still costs $200. Both are easy as long as you have enough beer around.

This website provides a complete pictorial of repair. Thank you Gus! http://www.gusglikas.com/RoofHoseReplacement.htm

Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Called Jaguar dealer to ask kit pricethey indicated thaey never heard of a repair kit but the full hose kit is $218.00. They also asked if it was a latch problem or the hydraulic line. I don't know at htis point. I tried lowering the top manually until I checked the owners manual which stated that you can only put the top up manually, not lower it.

so how does one lower the top to see if its a latch issue or hose. The latch was quoted to me at $400. is this an easier fix than a whole hose replacement??

I'm good as a DIY but don't want to get in over my head. Pictures that were sent to me show the whole inside of the car removed. its a little daunting to think I have to remove all that stuff.

I was going to make an apointment with the dealer for them to at least diagnos the problem before I jum into it. Whats the process thought for lowering the top though?? I did release for the latch manually, but it wouldn't fold downBTWI did open the pump valve before I trid it.

gary

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

The repair kit part number is HJB-8256AB. Full length hoses part number is HJB-8256AA. The repair kit allows you to splice the hoses within the left hand dash valance fuse panel. I used the kit and had no problem, others have experienced leaks. The latch itself almost never fails. The hoses fail all the time. Either the hoses or the kit are available on the net for about $170. It took me 3 hours to install the kit but could probably do it in half that a second time. I have also had the seats out and that isnot a big deal either.

JTIS provides the following instructions on lowering the top. I have never tried it but it is reported that the top frame can be bent. Someone to help would be advisable.

1) Lower the rear quarter glass by pressing the rear of the 'ROOF' button once.

2) Rotate the pump valve (located in the RH side-well of the trunk) counter-clockwise to the manual operation position.

3) Remove the blanking plug from the header trim, insert the Allen key provided (stowed alongside the top pump) and unlatch the top by turning the key clockwise.

4) During Emergency lowering of Top Reaching behind the top rear quarter curtains, pull the rams and linkages at both sides firmly downwards as far as possible. (see JTIS pictue for details)

5) Manually lower top to stowed position, if necessary repeating step 4 above.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

It is covered under a Jaguar warranty, do not know about an aftermarket. I would go eat them up and demand clothes cleaning and interior detail.

This has been a known design issue for 10 years. Shame on Jaguar.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We had the hose fail yesterday after the car was sat in the sun all day
I should have known not to open the hood !!!

Can anyone help with my leaking roof hose ?
I have tried following the manual to lower the hood by hand, and have been unable to push the lift ram down in the rear.

I just can not move them by hand how much pressure do i need to move them ?

2005 XK8 Convertable 4.2
Radiance Red, Light Beige Hood, plus toys

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

Lots of info in the FAQ Sticky above and in GUS' off site list at the bottom of the Sticky.

Your owner's manual also has a section on manually lowering the top.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Someday, we will find the guy responsible for the convertible tops on these cars and deal with him severely!

RedPopTop: in your post you said you were trying to push the rams down. If you meant that literally, that probably won't work. You have to reach inside and pull on things. Go easy here, it is possible to do damage. The picture might help.

------------------------------------------------------------
1)Lower the rear quarter glass by pressing the rear of the 'ROOF' button once.

2)Rotate the pump valve (located in the RH side-well of the trunk) counter-clockwise to the manual operation position.

3)Remove the blanking plug from the header trim, insert the Allen key provided (stowed alongside the top pump) and unlatch the top by turning the key clockwise.

4)During Emergency lowering of Top Reaching behind the top rear quarter curtains, pull the rams and linkages at both sides firmly downwards as far as possible. (sse JTIS pictue for details)

5)Manually lower top to stowed position, if necessary repeating step 4 above.

Attached Thumbnails  convertible top fluid leaking-t501250hr8%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Dennis07; 12-04-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Someday, we will find the guy responsible for the convertible tops on these cars and deal with him severely!

I think this guy moved on to Toyota where he helped design the accelerator pedal system

Doug

Old 12-05-2010, 03:23 AM

Many thanks to Denis 07 for the additional information,
I will revisit this later on to night & tray again .
I am unable to have a look at the jpg files as I am still a new kid on the block!!

Redpoptop
2005 XK8 Convertible

Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 AM

I have a 99 model and am not sure if my lines have ever been replaced or not.....is this a good "maintenance item" to do BEFORE something happens, or should I wait until it's a problem?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If its not having any leaking / operational problems now, I'd pursue one of the two suggested add-ons for lowering the system pressure, which always causes the leaks eventually in weakenend lines and fittings. See the FAQ sticky at the top of the subforum for those lengthy topics.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM

I have now managed to remove the top latch bracket from within the car with the hood still up and UN locked, so far so good!!!
And the damaged to the hose is just off the metal crimp side of the hose.
Next step is to purchase the new parts, a nice little job for Christmas!! & also a pressure reduction valve kit as well to fix it once & for all
Many thanks to test point for Gus link info
I have also had a read of the user guide, but they are no information regarding the lowering of hood by hand only how to close it.
Redpoptop
2005 XK8 Convertible

Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by redpoptop
II have also had a read of the user guide, but they are no information regarding the lowering of hood by hand only how to close it.
Redpoptop
2005 XK8 Convertible
Yup, I think they decided there was too much chance of damage by one of their dim-witted customers (that would be us).

The procedure which I posted in #10 above (this thread) came, I think, from JTIS. Can you see the photo yet? If not I'll email it to you if you want.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

If it starts to leak why would I want to put the top down????

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

While the thread is up again... is it known that anyone has ever had to do this twice, or are the replacement hoses known to fix the design flaw? Mine were fortunately already repaired from the 'green shower' by a previous owner a couple years back.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Our local Jaguar dealership's service manager acknowledges that no improvements were made to the Jaguar hoses still available at the dealerships today. So if your car was repaired with hoses from Jaguar, you get to hit the green shower reset button for awhile but it will eventually occur again....

I remember a long-time owner here who stated several times that he is on his third set of Jaguar hoses - the factory set, a replacement set, and a second replacement set....

Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Default Leaking convertible top hydrolics

I've had the same problem. After tearing everything apart to get to the latch area the dealer tech found that the swedge fitting on one of the hoses was installed with a raw sharp edge rubbing against the other hose causing a pin hole. He installed the repair kit $$$. Out of warranty repair :-( Some time later the problem is returning but is now intermittent & less leakage. I suspect that now the latch piston 0-ring is what's leaking. Probably needs a pressure reduction kit (link anyone?) rather than spend the $$ having the latch replaced. Shame on Jaguar for multiple design & installation issues with this long standing known problem.

Quick Reply: convertible top fluid leaking