XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

It would be nice if it didn't fail in the first place, of course. Poor component specification in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the cars too, I just bought a 2003 XJ6 (X350) a few weeks ago. Have already had to do a rather expensive paint job to cure the "Creeping Lurgy" under the paint by the rear screen and boot (trunk) lid, but I still love it.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I experienced this today. The green shower, we came back to the car after it was sitting outside in 95 degree heat for a few hours. Its a 99 XK8.

So the top was closed when it leaked. As mentioned previously, I've opened the petcock in the trunk to relieve the pressure, and will be taking the over head light assy off to clean up some of the mess.

The hydo fluid at the tank measures at the minimum line right now. I don't know what it was before the leak since I never looked at it before.

Gus, that replacement hose you show on your website...is that what you put in your car? I was thinking of getting that and tackling the replacement job.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Sorry to hear that you were blessed by the green monster. If my hose were to fail today yes I would use the new hose and only because I do not want to do it again. In fact I have the first hose that we made in a box awaiting the moment that I hope never takes place again. I also have the regulator installed making the rest of the system last a little longer because I do not want to mess with the other equipment or hoses that still remain in the car. Many of us have replaced the hoses and can provide you input and additional information if you elect to take the project on. I have additional info on my page if you need it.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks Gus. I will be taking this on very soon, for now the leakage is cleaned up. All electronics in the overhead light console are working as they should.

Is it safe to leave the petcock valve open for the time being? We will not be lowering the top anytime soon until this gets fixed. Want to keep the pressure out of the hoses. I understand the Jaguar repair kit is no longer available from what I read here...

Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Leaving the petcock open is not a problem! Are your quarter windows closed?

If you are considering the repair kit (short hose) think it out. That kit has not been improved and it is know that they have a short life, so spending around $200 for that hose to do it again is in my opinion not cost effective. Others may differ but you asked me and I will tell you as I see it.

Last edited by Gus; 07-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the hydraulic fluid is allowed to remain on the overhead piece on the seal it will swell causeing that overhead console piee to fail and it is over $500..so get it fixed soon

Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Gus, Yes the quarter windows are closed. I went out just before the checked, no further leakage for now. I guess the pressure is out of the system. Petcock open.

The repair kit looks risky, might just have to pull a new hose up to the latch.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
If the hydraulic fluid is allowed to remain on the overhead piece on the seal it will swell causeing that overhead console piee to fail and it is over $500..so get it fixed soon
good point. So I can unlatch manually using the allen wrench and clean that top seal good. Stuff like this is never good timing

Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If you are going to hold off on the repair you could do what I did. That was to pull down your lights from the header, stuff a few paper towels to absorb any fluid you might still have in the header and light fixture until you get ready to do the job. With the petcock open you system has no pressure and will be fine until you get to it. It took me 2 to 3 months. You will be fine!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Can't thank you enough Gus. If I can find a hose by next week, I may start it then. I'll check with the dealer first then search from there.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and buy the pressure regulator doohicky before my trip. I was thinking that since mine is a newer car (at least in comparison to the 97 through 2002 models) I shouldn't really have to worry about the leak. But now I'm starting to have doubts. and I'm going to be out in the hot Arizona sun in a week or two. Has anyone ever done a poll to see what model years of cars have popped a hose? Maybe Jaguar fixed the problem on the newer ones.

I just searched, and I couldn't find a poll. I'm going to start one.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No official survey but it seems that the hose failures are not discriminatory. The hoses are all the same with the exception of the one hose we found in what appeared to be the first model convertible that hose was about twice the size of the hoses today with a higher rating. The pumps still put out the 1600psi. Do it now or do it later in either case you are sure to do it!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Sam, one fairly easy thing you can do is inspect the hoses at the connection to the top latch mechanism. Remove the screws on the black metal top cap and remove the cap above the windshield, exposing the hoses at the latch. If the hose are in bad shape the black outer covering may be peeled away at the connectors exposing the woven fiber material. If it is really bad, the woven fiber material may be frayed exposing the inner core.

If it all looks OK, gently press a fingernail into the black outer covering. If it dents easily or tears, it is also deteriorated.

It is no guarantee, but any of these indications of deterioration will help you decide whether the replacement should be done sooner rather than later.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-12-2010 at 06:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marsden (06-24-2012)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I suddenly had a thought... has anyone ever gone about trying to reduce the hydraulic pressure by reducing the input voltage to the pump? I'm not much of a hydraulic guy, I'm more of an electrical guy. I'm assuming it's a 12 volt system, but I wonder how much current it draws. Perhaps a big fat resistor of some as yet unknown ohms could be put in series with the pump to reduce the peak pressure that the pump develops. I'm actually out of town right now, but when I get home I might stick an ammeter on it just to see how much current we're talking about. I have some giant potentiometers, which are essentially variable resistors. If I had some way to measure the hydraulic pressure, I could adjust the potentiometer up and down as I cycled the top to see how much pressure the pump developed at different resistances. After that it would just be a matter of finding the optimum resistance to allow the pump to have adequate pressure to operate the top without giving it so much pressure that it could pop the hose. Then I could just install a big resistor of that same resistance but sized to handle the current.

So... where can I get a hydraulic pressure gauge with the appropriate fittings to insert into the hydraulic line?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I guess you have been reading RoadFly! http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...9529493-1.html

Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM

I got a parts quote from the Jag dealer today. They were very helpful, and also confirmed this is a common problem. Is this inline with what others have found with prices?

1.) Convt. top fliud JLM21112 $90.86

2.) Power latch hoses HJB8256AA $331.50 (complete with the fittings)

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Dave- Those prices are way over MSRP !

Check out the forum sponsor Nalley Jaguar (15% off MSRP and free shipping) or another online dealer I have had good experiences with: jaguarpartscenter.com. You should get the hoses for around $200 or so and the fluid for around $50.

You can actually get the fluid on Amazon for about $25! http://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-CHF-1...4&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

I found some at Welsh Enterprises for $195 http://www.welshent.com/product_info...th=828_830_833

WhiteXKR, I'll check those sites you mention as well, and thanks for the amazon link!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and buy the pressure regulator doohicky before my trip. I was thinking that since mine is a newer car (at least in comparison to the 97 through 2002 models) I shouldn't really have to worry about the leak. But now I'm starting to have doubts. and I'm going to be out in the hot Arizona sun in a week or two. Has anyone ever done a poll to see what model years of cars have popped a hose? Maybe Jaguar fixed the problem on the newer ones.

I just searched, and I couldn't find a poll. I'm going to start one.

The latch hose busted on my 2005 this past weekend. I too was thinking that it was less common with the newer years. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it wouldn't happen, but looks like it can happen to any car.

Rob

Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The hoses and fluid are a bit pricey at Jaguar. In most cases you can get it cheaper on line and at local auto parts places. The hoses are specialized and specific. That is why Jaguar can name the price on the hoses, the other hose is the hose that I had put together. The difference is the hose that is on my page will more than likely out last the car the other Jag hose (same as the old hose) is just fine. As for the fluid you can get it at an auto parts place for around $25.00 same size container. I will not force you into any hose or product that choice is yours to make. All this information is on my page or under FAQ in this forum.

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem