XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Convertible top replacement

I have been an avid (read daily) reader of the forums for a year and a half and rarely have I seen much posted about the convertible top replacement or reconditioning of the top. I have a 2004 XK8 and the convertible top has seen better days. It shows wear in areas, like scuff marks, and the color is a little "faded" sort of, and some of the white stitching appears to be worn/missing. Nothing is coming apart though. I have always thought the condition of the top made the car look older than it is. Overall it detracts from the looks of the car. I didn't realize how much until yesterday when I saw the same year and car color (white onyx) with the same color (tan) roof, and the top looked like new...it was shiny almost, and clearly in great condition. The entire car looked so much better than mine does. I have tried some top conditioners, but they don't seem to do the trick.

I have seen all kinds of postings here for some fairly major repairs on nearly every part of the car, of which many I am capable of myself too, but the few postings about the convertible tops, or replacing the top seem only to warn against self replacing it and advise to bring the vehicle to a professional.

So here are my questions - first, is there a way for a professional to refurbish a top as I have described mine and have it look reasonably nice, and if anyone has done this, about how much did it cost. Second, has anyone here actually replaced the top themselves? If so, was it really as hard as some claim? I have replaced engines in cars; I have pulled the entire interior of my XK8 to replace the hydraulic lines; etc, aim fairly capable. Is it truly a professional only job? Third, if you had someone replace the top, did you provide the top, or did they find one and install it? And about how much should I expect to pay someone to replace?

Thx in advance

Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Well, I have never replaced my top, but I have replaced my convetible headliner, which is a significant part of the job. It also gave me a peek at the underpinnings.

My guess is that with the skill level you possess, you can do it. I would recommend taking lots of pictures to ease your recollection for the somewhat non-intuitive reassembly. Also be prepared to spend a lot of uncomfortable time on your knees in the back seat area..put lots of padding down.

You will also need a decent pop-rivet gun.

Also get a new headliner with all the mounting hardware already sewn in, otherwise you will find yourself spending hours with a hand sewing awl as I did.

I think where a professional has an advantage though is primarily in judging the correct tension when the fabric is locked down under tack strips. Too loose and you will get creases and lumps, too tight and the fabric and mechansim may be stretched and strained excessively

My top is in similar non-pristine shape...it is definitely on my list too.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Johnken (03-18-2021), SteveJacks (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

My top is in pretty good shape, but my headliner is soiled to the point that cleaning isn't making it any better. So please keep everyone apprised of how this goes if you decide to tackle it yourself.

And to echo the standard chorus here on the forum, pictures please.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I am considering replacing the head liner any helpful hints would be appreciated. Clips etc. Thanks Jim

Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  19.3 KB

I'm sure I saw a thread a while back where H20boy used Topsonline.com I think it was........more than a few members here have reviewed them favourably too.

Other than that can't help...sorry

The following users liked this post:
berlin1977 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok so it turns out it was about leather seat covers, which they also do and are recommended for, but obviously as the name suggests.....they do convertible tops too

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-covers-40193/

Check em out online......

Hope it helps

SteveJacks (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am finding it hard to believe that your top is as bad as you say. I have a 99 xk8 with well over 100,000 mi on it and the top still looks good, your car is an 04. If it were me I would clean the top with a cleaner conditioner and then put a sealer on it and see what you think. Replacing the top is probably not outside your skill level but why do what you do not need to do. The link shows what my top looked like before and after conditioning. As for the headliner I would attempt to clean it first and if that fails then replace it.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

JimC64 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I tend to agree with Gus in this case - don't give up on attempting to restore your current top until you've tried the most frequently-recommended strategies. What products and methods have you tried thus far? Quite a number of us have obtained excellent results using the 303 product line typically available from marine/boat retailers, and there are other similiar products that some forum members have said seem to work just as well....

So tell us what you've tried thus far and I'm sure you'll get additional tips that may be worth considering before you decide to bite the bullet and spend major money on a new top....

My wife's 2006 XK8 is also white onyx with a tan top. A good scrubbing with a soft brush and a small amount of dish soap in a bucket of warm water back in April, a thorough rinse with the hose, a couple of hours in the sun to dry, and then a full 16-ounce spray bottle of 303 applied in multiple light coats really did the trick on her top. Her complete satisfaction with this strategy essentially made me think that I'll do it at least annually for as long as it tends to work....

Last edited by Jon89; 11-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
Flash-1973 (07-24-2022), JimC64 (11-26-2012), SteveJacks (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 on 303. Better than Raggtop and cheaper, too.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I am finding it hard to believe that your top is as bad as you say. I have a 99 xk8 with well over 100,000 mi on it and the top still looks good, your car is an 04. If it were me I would clean the top with a cleaner conditioner and then put a sealer on it and see what you think. Replacing the top is probably not outside your skill level but why do what you do not need to do. The link shows what my top looked like before and after conditioning. As for the headliner I would attempt to clean it first and if that fails then replace it.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Thanks Gus, I will consider what you used, maybe it will hide some of the "scuff" marks. I don't know what else to call them, but they seem like wear from rubbing, but I can't figure out how this is possible. See the pic I just posted. I have this wear on both sides. What you don't see in the pic is the stitching which in places is worn to the point of just not there.

Attached Thumbnails Convertible top replacement-top.jpg  
Gus (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It looks like wrinkles you must keep the top down for an extended period of time. I think a good cleaning and conditioning might do the trick.

SteveJacks (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
So tell us what you've tried thus far and I'm sure you'll get additional tips that may be worth considering before you decide to bite the bullet and spend major money on a new top....
I used Blue Magic 707 convertible top cleaner (obviously I am not satisfied with the results).

I appreciate everyone's comments. Now that I posted a pic, you can see what I am working with. I am not sure that even if I use a good conditioner that it will hide the wear. Maybe if I darkened the color some it would hide it better. I would be leery of staining myself.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
It looks like wrinkles you must keep the top down for an extended period of time. I think a good cleaning and conditioning might do the trick.
I would say that the top is down 75% of the time, even when in the garage. I work out of the house, so the car doesn't sit in parking lots with the top up all that much.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Keep in mind that cleaning your top is only part of the process. After it has been scrubbed clean, allow it to fully dry in the sun. Then dress it with multiple applications of 303 while using an old bath towel to move around and cover your window glass as you spray the 303 product on your top. For best results, do this on a day when temperatures are above 70 degrees....

After a day or two, let us know if your top's appearance has improved significantly....

As Gus has implied, if you want to keep your top's fabric looking better it needs to spend more time up rather than down....

Last edited by Jon89; 11-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with posters saying you should give reconditioning another go.

I got a quote from a reputable local shop about two years ago. New top and headliner installed for about $1500. Given that amount of money, I'm cleaning and reconditioning until there are holes or it begins to flap in the wind!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Funny you should ask, I pulled into a building materials supplier in Pasadena, CA, this morning and was parked next to another convertible Cardinal Red XKR like mine. The other XKR had obviously been lowered and had a body kit that didn't appeal to me but anyway, it had a brand new tan convertible top on it (mine is black). Once inside the store a man came up and asked me if the other XKR was mine, and we talked for awhile. He had the top done very recently and told me that he paid $700 including the top and installation, a number I found rather incredible. He told me it was a shop named Jack's Upholstery in Rosemead, CA and gave me the phone number. It was a very, very nice top and install. If anyone is interested and in Southern Cal, let me know, and I'll send you the phone number.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Funny you should ask, I pulled into a building materials supplier in Pasadena, CA, this morning and was parked next to another convertible Cardinal Red XKR like mine. The other XKR had obviously been lowered and had a body kit that didn't appeal to me but anyway, it had a brand new tan convertible top on it (mine is black). Once inside the store a man came up and asked me if the other XKR was mine, and we talked for awhile. He had the top done very recently and told me that he paid $700 including the top and installation, a number I found rather incredible. He told me it was a shop named Jack's Upholstery in Rosemead, CA and gave me the phone number. It was a very, very nice top and install. If anyone is interested and in Southern Cal, let me know, and I'll send you the phone number.
Wow, that seems like a bargain...I probably would jump at the number. Thx

Old 03-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I see this is an old thread but will give it a shout. I have a 2011 XKR and had a new top put on a few months ago after my rear window separated on the old one. I paid $750 for the top and 525. for install. I am very happy. however, the liner was in really good shape and I didn't replace it. (they are as expensive or more than the top) but didn't notice that it would not stretch enough to connect to the back of the new top. Meaning I have this little sag in the middle of the window from the liner. I thought of taking a piece or two of velcro and placing it on a stiff something and extend the connection point to the top an inch or so. Any ideas short of put in a new liner.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia2012
I see this is an old thread but will give it a shout. I have a 2011 XKR and had a new top put on a few months ago after my rear window separated on the old one. I paid $750 for the top and 525. for install. I am very happy. however, the liner was in really good shape and I didn't replace it. (they are as expensive or more than the top) but didn't notice that it would not stretch enough to connect to the back of the new top. Meaning I have this little sag in the middle of the window from the liner. I thought of taking a piece or two of velcro and placing it on a stiff something and extend the connection point to the top an inch or so. Any ideas short of put in a new liner.
Apologies I don't have any ideas to fix your issue, but can you tell me where you got the top? If I retain my liner do you think I will have the same issue you are having now? Many thanks, and good luck with your fix.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
Apologies I don't have any ideas to fix your issue, but can you tell me where you got the top? If I retain my liner do you think I will have the same issue you are having now? Many thanks, and good luck with your fix.
Hi I bought it off of Ebay but mine was 799.00 Not sure if I got it on sale last year or prices have gone up;. I called them for installers in my area and I called them all and picked on. The issue I am having I don't know if you will have that but Im gonna try to fix mine. Good luck. Dennis

07-15 Jaguar XK XKR Replacement Convertible Soft Top - BLACK GERMAN RPC HAARTZ

BUY Direct From (Manufacturer) Oem Plus Auto Tops, Inc.